Inhibition Properties of Pleurotus Ostreatus against Clinical Pathogens by in-vitro Methods and its Phytochemical Screening
- 1Department of Microbiology, Pazhassiraja College, Pulpally, Wayanad, Kerala, India
- 2Department of Microbiology, E M E A College of Arts and Science, Kondotty, Malappuram, Kerala, India
- 3Department of Microbiology St. Xavier’S College for Womens,Aluva, Kerala, India
- 4Department of Microbiology, Mar Athanasious College, Kothamangalam, Ernakulam, India
Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 16-19, July,10 (2016)
Inhibition properties of aqueous extracts of Pleurotus ostreatus were tested against bacterial pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas and E.coli. The purpose of the antibacterial study by agar well cut method be evidence for good inhibition properties aligned with Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas and E.coli. In Phytochemical tests presence of Proteins, reducing sugars and amino acids was investigated. The beyond clarification confirmed that bactericidal compounds possess in the Pleurotus ostreatus, which inhibit the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas and E.coli.
- Wasser S.P. and Weis A.L. (1999)., Medicinal properties of substances occurring in higher Basidiomycetes mushrooms: Current perspectives (Review)., Int. J. Med. Mush., 1, 31-62.
- Yang J.H., Lin H.C. and Mau J.L. (2002)., Antioxidant properties of several commercial mushrooms., Food Chem, 77, 229–235.
- Elliott C.E. (1991)., Reproduction in Fungi., first edition.
- Gray W.D. (1973)., The use of fungi as food and in food processing, Part II., Journal of industrial Microbiology, 2, 3-4.
- Ogundana S.K. and Fagede O.E. (1982)., Nutritive value of some Nigerian edible mushrooms., Foods chem., 8, 263-268.
- Yashvant P., Ram N. and Singh V.K. (2012)., Medicinal properties of pleurotus species (Oyster Mushroom): A review., World Journal of Fungal and Plant Biology, 3, 1-12.
- Uhegbu F.O., Elekwa I. and Ukoha C. (2005)., Comparative Efficacy of crude Aqueous Extract ofMangifera indica, carica papaya and sulphadoxine pyrimethamine on the mice infested with malariaparasite in vivo., Global J. Pure Appl. Sci., 11, 399-401.
- Kavanagh F. (1972)., Analytical Microbiology., Academic Press, New York, 2.
- Kokate C.K. (1999)., Practical Pharmacognosy., Vallabh prakashan publication, New Delhi, 111-116.
- Mace M.E. (1963)., Histochemical localization of phenols in healthy and diseased banana roots., Physiol. Plantarum., 16(4), 915-925.
- Trease G.E. and Evans W.C. (2002)., Pharmacognosy., 15th, Springer, Berlin.
- Sofowora A. (1993)., Screening plants for bioactive agents. Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicinal in Africa., second ed., Spectrum Books Ltd., Sunshine House, Ibadan, Nigeria, pp. 134-156.
- Rasch E. and Swift H. (1960)., Microphotometric analysis of the cytochemical Millon reaction., J Histochem Cytochem., 8, 4-17.
- Yemm E.W. and Willis J. (1954)., The estimation of carbohydrates in plant extracts by anthrone., Journal of Biochemical., 57(3), 508-514.
- Lowry O.H., Rosebrough N.J., Farr A.L. and Randall R.J. (1951)., Protein measurement with the folin-phenol reagent., J.Biol.Chem., 193, 265-275.