Financial leverage and firm valuation: an empirical study of Indian metal industry
- 1B.N. Bahadur Institute of Management Sciences, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore, Karnataka, India
- 2B.N. Bahadur Institute of Management Sciences, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore, Karnataka, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 19-25, January,2 (2020)
The process of determining optimal capital structure in the world of inefficient capital market makes it a complicated affair. In corporate finance, the crucial argument is the impact of financial leverage on firms′ strategic decisions. Thus, the debate still prevails as how to minimize the agency costs while maximizing the firm value.Additionally, value of firm is gauged by all stake holders which reflect the value of business. The aim of this research is to appraisethe impact of financial leverage on value of firm. The paper attempts to analyse the debt patterns over time and its impact on firm value reflected in market to book ratio using information on publicly traded firms in India. The study involves ratio analysis and multiple regression method to arrive at the results. Empirical findings on the firms related to metal and metal products in India suggest that there is no mean reverting tendency in debt ratios over time. Instead, debt is increasing to unsustainable levels accompanied by poor governance leading to potential disruption in industry. Besides, leverage has negative impact on firm value contradicting traditional trade off theory.
- Report (2019)., Indian brand equity foundation (IBEF)., report accessed at https://www.ibef.org/download/metals-and-mining-jan-2019.pdf on 07/03/2019
- Bussiness Line (2019)., Steel, infra companies in RBI′s big-debtor list., https://www.thehindubusinessline.com /money-and-banking/steel-infra-companies-in-rbis-bigdebtor-list/article9728833.ece
- Modigliani F. and Miller M.H. (1958)., The cost of capital, corporation finance and the theory of investment., The American, 1, 3.
- Modigliani F. and Miller M.H. (1963)., Corporate income taxes and the cost of capital: a correction., The American Economic Review, 53(3), 433-443.
- Stiglitz J.E. (1969)., A re-examination of the Modigliani-Miller theorem., The American Economic Review, 59(5), 784-793.
- Barton S.L. and Gordon P.I. (1987)., Corporate strategy: useful perspective for the study of capital structure?., Academy of Management Review, 12(1), 67-75.
- Harris M. and Raviv A. (1991)., The theory of capital structure., The Journal of Finance, 46(1), 297-355.
- Bhayani S. (2009)., Impact of Financial Leverage on Cost of Capital and Valuation of Firm: A Study of Indian Cement Industry., Paradigm., 13, 43-49. 10.1177/0971890720090206.
- Myers S.C. and Majluf N.S. (1984)., Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have., Journal of Financial Economics, 13(2), 187-221.
- Fama E.F. and French K.R. (1998)., Value versus growth: The international evidence., The Journal of Finance, 53(6), 1975-1999.
- Chadha S. and Sharma A.K. (2015)., Capital structure and firm performance: Empirical evidence from India., Vision, 19(4), 295-302.
- Gupta P.K., Kumar S. and Verma P. (2016)., Association between Degree of Leverages and Firm Value., Asian Journal of Finance & Accounting, 8(1), 212-229.
- Admati A.R., DeMarzo P.M., Hellwig M.F. and Pfleiderer P. (2018)., The leverage ratchet effect., The Journal of Finance, 73(1), 145-198.
- Leland H.E. and Toft K.B. (1996)., Optimal capital structure, endogenous bankruptcy, and the term structure of credit spreads., The Journal of Finance, 51(3), 987-1019.
- Berger A.N. and Di Patti E.B. (2006)., Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry., Journal of Banking & Finance, 30(4), 1065-1102.
- Cheng M.-C. and Tzeng Z.-C. (2011)., The effect of leverage on firm value and how the firm financial quality influence on this effect., World Journal of Management, 3(2), 30-53.
- O, The capital structure implications of pursuing a strategy of innovation., Strategic Management Journal, 24(5), 415-431.
- Salim M. and Yadav R. (2012)., Capital structure and firm performance: Evidence from Malaysian listed companies., Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 65, 156-166.
- Simerly R.L. and Li M. (2000)., Environmental dynamism, capital structure and performance: a theoretical integration and an empirical test., Strategic Management Journal, 21(1), 31-49.