Evaluation of vulnerability to floods of Glynn and Gwinnett Counties, Georgia USA
- 1North Gwinnett High School, Suwanee, GA USA
- 2Dept. of Civil and Urban Engineering, Tandon School of Engineering, New York University, New York, USA
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 12-18, January,2 (2020)
A systematic investigation was performed to evaluate the areas of inundation in Gwinnett and Glynn counties in Georgia, USA. To identify areas where benefited from the flood protection, 100-year, 200-year and 500-year of riverine flooding and previous hurricanes data were adopted for Gwinnett county and Glynn county, respectively. HAZUS 4.2 (Hazard United States) (FEMA, 2018), and ArcGIS 10.5 (Aeronautical Reconnaissance Coverage Geographic Information System) were used to identify the flooded areas, and this study evaluates the vulnerability of essential facilities (i.e., treatment plants and electric power facilities). It is observed that several wastewater treatment plants in Gwinnett County could be impacted by at least the100-year flood. The electrical power facilities in Glynn County are also found to be vulnerable to hurricanes. This evaluation can be used as the first step to develop more resilient counties by having better preparedness, Stormwater Management Plan, and more organized responses to flood events.
- Hallegatte S. (2016)., Shock Waves: Managing the Impacts of Climate Change on Poverty., World Bank Publications.
- Richard Damania S.D.S. (2017)., Uncharted Waters: The New Economics of Water Scarcity and Variability., World Bank Group.
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (2017).)., Flood Risk and Insurance, 2017., . https://www.naic.org/documents/ cipr_study_1704_flood_risk.pdf(Accessed 2019-09-15).
- Henonin J., Russo B., Mark O. and Gourbesville P. (2013)., Real-time urban flood forecasting and modeling - a state of the art., J. of Hydroinfomatics, 15(3), 717-736. https://doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2013.132
- Report (2019)., United State Geological Survey., The 100-Year Flood. www.usgs.gov/special-topic/water-science-school/science/100-year-flood?qt-science_center_objects=0
- Gotvald A.J. (2010)., Historic flooding in Georgia, 2009: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2010–1230., https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2010/1230/pdf/ofr2010-1230.pdf(Accessed 2019-06-28).
- U.S. Geological Survey (2019)., Epic Flooding in Georgia, 2009., https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2010/3107/pdf/fs2010-3107.pdf (Accessed 2019-07-18).
- United State Geological Survey (2019)., Watershed Effects on Streamflow Quantity and Quality in Six Watersheds of Gwinnett County, Georgia., https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/ 2007/5132/pdf/sir2007-5132.pdf(Accessed 2019-09-15).
- HOGA (2019)., Heart of Georgia Altamaha Regional Commission., Multi-Region River Corridor Feasibility Study: Phase 1. http://www.hogarc.org/wordpress/rcsplanp1/(Accessed 2019-09-15).
- Report (2019)., Coastal Regional Commission., Regional Assessment of Coastal Georgia. http://www.crc.ga.gov/publications/planning/ Regional%20Assessment%20with%20Links.pdf(Accessed 2019-09-15).
- Blaikie P., Cannon T., David I. and Wisner B. (2014)., At Risk: Natural Hazards, People, Routledge, 201-236, USA, ISBN: 978-0415252164
- Report (2019)., Glynn County Community Development Department., Glynn County Flood Information. https://www.glynncounty.org/DocumentCenter/View/11867/Glynn-County-Flood-Info?bidId=(Accessed2019-06-30).
- Gwinnett County Health Department, Georgia (2019)., Community Health Assessment, Community Health Improvement Plan., http://www.gnrhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2018-Gwinnett-County-CHA-CHIP-Final.pdf. (Accessed 2019-09-15).
- University of Maryland (2018)., Center for Disaster Resilience, and Texas A&M University, Galveston Campus, Center for Texas Beaches and Shores., The Growing Threat of Urban Flooding: A National Challenge. 2018. https://today.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/ 4/2018/11/ Urban-flooding-report-online.pdf(Accessed 2019-06-28).
- Brody S.D., Gunn J., Peacock W. and Highfield W.E. (2011)., Examining the Influence of Development Patterns on Flood Damages along the Gulf of Mexico., J. of Planning Education and Research, 31(4), 438-448. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X11419515
- Doocy S., Daniels A., Murray S. and Kirsch T. (2013)., The Human Impacts of Floods: a Historical Review of Events 1980-2009 and systematic literature Review., PLOS Currents Disasters, April (16). https://dx.doi.org/10.1371%2 Fcurrents.dis.f4deb457904936b07c09daa98ee8171a(Accessed 2019-09-15).
- Kron W., Steuer M., Low P. and Wirtz A. (2012)., How to deal properly with a natural catastrophe database - analysis of flood losses., Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 12, 535-550. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-12-535-2012
- Kron W. (2009)., Flood Risk = Hazard • Values • Vulnerability., Water International, 22, 58-68. https://doi.org/10.1080/02508060508691837(Accessed 2019-09-15).