Effect of carbamate, organophosphate and organochlorine pesticides on nitrogen fixation of cyanobacteria Nostocpaludosum: a quantitative assay
- 1Department of Botany, K.J. Somaiya College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Kopargaon (MS), India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 39-42, March,2 (2018)
During the present investigation, four commonly used commercial grade pesticides Furadan and Sevin belongs to carbamate and Rogor and Endotaf from organophosphate and organochlorine group, respectively, were used to study their effect on the nitrogen fixation of commonly occurring cyanobacteria (blue-green alga), nostocpaludosum. Total nitrogen (%) fixed by the tested alga at each concentration (ppm) of studied pesticides was estimated by conventional Micro- kjeldahl method. The results obtained in the laboratory cultures indicates that, total nitrogen content fixed was progressively decrease with the increase in concentrations of the Furadan, Sevin, Rogor and Endotaf pesticides by tested Nostocpaludosum. However, at lower doses of the pesticides viz. 2.5 ppm to 10 ppm of Furadan, Sevin and 2.5 ppm to 5 ppm Rogor and 2.5 ppm of Endotaf, total nitrogen fixed by the tested alga increased over the control. While at higher dose level i.e. 250 ppm Furadan, Sevin, Rogor and 100 ppm Endotaf, the Nostocpaludosum showed 76.5%, 81.4%, 88.2% and 94.8% decline in total nitrogen content than the control respectively. In general, it was seen that at higher doses of pessticides application i.e. more than 10 ppm Furdan, Sevin, Rogor and Endotaf adversely affected the nitrogen fixation efficiency of Nostocpaludosum in the laboratory cultures. Further it was concluded that, indiscriminate use of studied pesticides had deleterious effect on survival, nitrogen fixation of Nostocpaludosum and also at the recommended doses of pesticides had no adverse effects under various crop fields.
- Tiwari O.N., Singh B.V., Mishra U., Singh A.K., Dhar D.W. and Singh P.K. (2005)., Distribution and physiological characterization of cyanobacteria isolated from arid zones of Rajasthan., Tropical Ecology, 46(2), 165-171.
- Ahmed S.U. (2001)., Nitrogen fixing potential of cyanobacteria isolated from rice field soils of Nagaon sub- division Assam., Phykos, 40(1 and 2), 53-59.
- Meelu O.P. (1992)., Biofertilizers and their potential in crop prouduction., In: Changing scenario of our environment (Eds.) Dhaliwal, G.S. Hansra, B.S. Jerath, N. Pub. Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana, India. 281-286.
- Genter M., Kerby N.W., Rowell O.P. and Scrimgeour C. (1995)., Colonization of Wheat (Triticumvulgare L) by nitrogen fixing cyanobacteria. IV. Dark nitrogenase activity and effect of cyanobacteria on nature Super sN abundance in the plants., New Phytol.,129(2), 337-343.
- Venkataraman G.S. (1972)., Algal biofertilizers and rice cultivation Pub., Today and tomorrows. Printers and Publishers, Faridabad, India.
- Metting B. (1988)., Microalgae in agriculture., In: M.A. Borowitzka and L.J. Borowitzka (Eds.). Microalgae Biotechnology, 288-304.
- Connell D.W. (1988)., Bioaccumulation behaviour of persistent organic chemicals with aquatic organisms., Rev. Env. Con. and Toxicol., 101, 117-154.
- Venkataraman L.V., Krishnakumari M.K. and Suvarnalatha G. (1994)., Algae as a tool for biomonitoring and abatement of pesticide pollution in aquatic system., Phykos, 33(1 and 2), 171-193.
- Roger P.A. and Kulasooriya S.A. (1980)., Blue green algae and rice., Pub. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Philippines, 1-112.
- Kannaiyan S. (1978)., Mass scale multiplication of blue green algae under field condition., In all India seminar on Blue green algae and their viruses. Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai.
- Venkataraman G.S. (1972)., Tolerance of blue-green algae to pesticides., Curr. Sci., 40, 143-144.
- Venkataraman G.S. and Rajyalakshmi B. (1972)., Relative tolerance of blue-green algae to pesticides., Indian J. Agric. Sci., 42, 119-121.
- Subramanian G. (1982)., The effect of pesticides on nitrogen fixation and ammonia excretion by Anabaena., In Proceeding of the National Symposium on Biological Nitrogen Fixation, New Delhi, 567- 587.
- Jha C.N. (1984)., Effect of certain pesticides on algae growing in paddy field., Ph.D. Thesis, Bihar University, 157.
- Tandon R.S., Lal R., Narayana and Rao V.V.S. (1988)., Interaction of endosulfan and malathion with Anabaena and Aulosira fertilissima., Environ. Pollut., 52(1), 1-9.
- Das H.N. and Verma B.N. (1992)., Effect of phosphomidon on Synechocystisaualis Saur., Phykos, 31, 151-157.
- Anand N. and Subramanian T.D. (1994)., Distribution of natural populations of blue-green algae in a rice field., Phykos, 33(1 and 2), 163-169.
- Sahu J.K. and Adhikary S.P. (1999)., Growth response and nitrogen fixation of rice field cyanobacteria to pesticides., Biofertilizers technology. Edited by Kannaiyan, S., Kumar, K. and Govindarajan, K.
- Kapoor K. and Arora L. (2000)., Comparative studies on the effect of pesticides on nitrogen-fixing Cylindrospermum majus Kutz. ex Born. Et Flah., Indian J Environ Sci., 4(1), 89-96.
- Rajendran U.M., Kathirvel E. and Narayanaswamy A. (2007)., Effects of a fungicide, an insecticide, and a biopesticide on Tolypothrix scytonemoides., Pesticide biochemistry and Physiology, 87(2), 164-171.
- Islam M.Z., Begum S., Ara H. and Waliullah T.M. (2007)., Effect of furadan on the growth and nitrogen fixation by blue green algae., J. Bio-sci., 15, 23-34.
- Das M.K. (2008)., Differential response of cyanobacteria to an organo-phosphate pesticide, rogor (dimethoate 30 Ec)., Nature Environment and pollution technology, 7(1), 55-61.
- Singh R.N. (1961)., Role of blue-green algae in nitrogen economy of Indian agriculture., Role of blue-green algae in nitrogen economy of Indian agriculture, 1-175.
- Fogg G.E. (1942)., Studies on nitrogen fixation by blue green algae. I. Nitrogen fixation by Anabaena cylindrical Lemm., J. Exp. Biol., 19, 78-87.
- Fogg G.E. (1949)., Growth and heterocyst production in Anabaena cylindrical Lemm. II. In relation to carbon and nitrogen metabolism., Ann. Bot., 13(51), 241-259.
- Rippka R., Derulles J., Waterburry J., Herdman M. and Stanier R. (1979)., Genetic assessments, strain histories and properties of pure cultures of Cyanobacteria., J. Gen. Microl., 111(1), 1-61.
- Prescott G.W. (1951)., Algae of the Western Great Lakes Area., Publ. Otto Koeltz Science Publishers, Koeningstein, 1-935.
- Desikachary T.V. (1959)., Cyanophyta., I.C.A.R. Publication, New Delhi, 1-686.
- Jackson M. (1958)., Soil chemical analysis., Pub. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, O.S.A.P., 183.
- Sharma V.K. and Gaur Y.S. (1981)., Nitrogen fixation by pesticide-adapted strains of paddy field cyanophytes., Intl. J. Ecol. Env. Sci., 7, 117-122.
- Kar S. and Singh P.K. (1978)., Toxicity of carbofuran to blue-green alga Nostoc muscorum., Bull Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 20(1), 707-714.
- Adhikary S.P., Dash P. and Pattnaik H. (1984)., Effect of the carbamate insecticide Sevin on Anabaena sp. and Westiellopsis prolifica., Acta Microbiol., 31(4), 335-338.
- Pattnaik H. and Prakash Rao M. (1982)., Effect of pesticides on growth and nitrogen fixation of blue-green algae., In Proceedings of a National Symposium on Biological Nitrogen Fixation, New Delhi, 670.
- Sharma S.G. and Singh S.P. (2006)., Effect of monocrotophos and butachlor on N-fixing cyanobacteria and associated biochemical activities., Ann.ofPlt Prot. Sci., 14(1), 210-214.
- Sardeshpande J.S. and Goyal S.K. (1982)., Effect of insecticides on the growth and nitrogen fixation by blue green algae., In: Proc. of National symposium on Biological N2 fixation, IARI, Delhi, 588-605.