Identification of parameters of warming in urban agglomeration of Lomé (Togo), West Africa
- 1Laboratory of forest researches, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lomé, 01BP 1515 Lomé 01-Togo
- 2Laboratory of forest researches, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lomé, 01BP 1515 Lomé 01-Togo
- 3Laboratory of forest researches, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lomé, 01BP 1515 Lomé 01-Togo
- 4Laboratory of forest researches, Faculty of Sciences, University of Lomé, 01BP 1515 Lomé 01-Togo
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 1-7, March,2 (2018)
Cities are exposed to a microclimate, where temperatures are usually warmer at downtown than outskirts. The intensity of global warming depends on the temperature gap between the downtown and the outskirts of the city known as the urban heat island phenomenon (UHI). Lomé faces intense waves of heat and warming whose temperature gap is 4°C. The purpose of this research is to identify the urban parameters that influence the warming of Lomé. The method is based on the delimitation by remote sensing of one site in hot area and one another in a less hot area using images of the Quick bird satellite with high resolution (0.6m) dating from the month of January 2016. The data collection is relative to a group of 4 main urban parameters namely the area of vegetation on the floor, the naked or built soil, urban traffic and the size of the population. Comparison of values of these parameters on the sites has proven that the vegetation cover only is not in favor of urban warming. Therefore, the city of Lomé is warming by intensive mineralization.
- Jones P.D., Lister D.H. and Li Q. (2008)., Urbanization effects in large‐scale temperature records, with an emphasis on China., Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 113, D16122, doi:10.1029/ 2008JD009916.
- Salem D. (2009)., Worsening of the warming in urban areas at Sfax (Tunisie)., Fifth Urban Research Symposium, 20.
- Unisdr Rapport (2012)., The United Nation Office, for Disaster Risk Reduction, Regional bureau for Africa., Make cities resilient, 110.
- Ferras R. and Volle (1991)., Environment and urban search., Reed, sretie info, 21-23.
- Paolo Gas P., Angela R. and Anne-Marie B. (2005)., Climate change and vulnerability of the African cities., Research briefs, 44.
- Rosenfeld A., Romm J., Akbari H. and Pomerantz M. (1998)., Cool communities: strategies for heat islands mitigation and smog reduction., Energy and Buildings, 28, 51-62.
- Akbari H. and Konopacki S. (2004)., Energy effects of heat-island reduction strategies in Toronto, Canada., Energy, 29(2), 191-210.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) (2008)., Reducing urban heat islands: compendium of strategies, urban heat island basics., Washington, DC, 19.
- Fouad A.O. (2007)., Urban morphology and thermal comfort in public places: comparative study between three urban fabrics of the city of Quebec., Master
- Pinho A., Pedro J.B. and Coelho A.B. (2003)., The influence of the built environment in microclimatic variations., In The 20th Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture, Santiago, CHILE, 9-12.
- Nikolopoulou M. (2004)., Designing open spaces in the urban environment: a bioclimatic approach., Centre for Renewable Energy Sources, EESD, FP5.
- Asaeda T., Ca V.T. and Wake A. (1996)., Heat storage of pavement and its effect on the lower atmosphere., Atmospheric environment, 30(3), 413-427.
- Ihara T. (2006)., Energy conservation and urban heat island mitigation effects by solar reflective coating to an automobile., International workshop on countermeasures to urban heat islands (Tokyo, Japan) August 3rd, 2006, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), 35. Accessible au :http://www. iea.org/Textbase/work/2006/heat/5-f_Ihara.pdf.
- Taha H. (1997)., Modelling the impacts of large-scale albedo changes on ozone air quality in the south coast air basin., Atmospheric Environment, 31(11), 1667-1676.
- Intergovernmental Group of experts on the evolution of the climate (GIEC), (2013). Contribution of the Workgroup 1, in the fifth Appraisal report, Printed in October 2013, Suisse. www.ipcc.ch; www.climatechange2013.org. RID, 34P., undefined, undefined
- Marguerat (1993)., Urban dynamics, youth and history in Togo., Articles and Documents (1984-1993). Lomé: Coll. «Patrimoines» n°1, Press of the University of Benin, the second edition, 231p.
- Guézéré A. (2011)., The obsession to live in its own house in Lomé: what impact on the spatial dynamics?., The Overseas books[On line], 256, URL:http://com.revues.org/ 6443;Doi:10.4000/com.6443, 27 p.
- Badameli A. and Dubreuil V. (2015)., Diagnostic du changement climatique au Togo à travers l’évolution de la température entre 1961 et 2010., In XXVIIIe Colloque de l’Association Internationale de Climatologie, 421-426.
- Adjoussi P. (2000)., Global Climate Change : Evaluation of the evolution of the climatic parameters in Togo., Memory of master
- Ringenbach N. (2004)., Radiative assessment and flow of heat in urban climatology: measures, modelling and validation on Strasbourg., Memory of thesis in Sciences of the image, the computing and the remote detection. University of Louis Pasteur Strasbourg I, 146.
- Oke T.R. (1982)., The energetic basis of the urban heat island., Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 108(455), 1-24.
- Prado R. and Ferreira F. (2005)., Measurement of albedo and analysis of its influence the surface temperature of building roof material., Energy and buildings, 37(4), 295-300.
- Siddiqi A. (1978)., A study of the effect of shape and grouping of structures and their external landscape patterns on their radiation of the urban built form., Doctoral thesis, building science Dept., Sheffield University, U.K. in Thèse doctorat Achour-Bouakkaz N.
- Smith R.G. and Webb D.J.T. (1987)., Small-scale manufacture of stabilised soil blocks., Technology series, Technical memorandum no, 12.
- Mansouri O. (2008)., The influence of the reflectivity of materials (albedo) on the modification of the microclimate and the outside thermal comfort in an urban canyon -case ofcoudiat of Constantine., Memory for the obtaining of the diploma of magister, Major: bioclimatic architecture; Faculty of Science of the earth, the geography and the town and country planning, Department of architecture and town planning, university of Mentouri. Constantine. 228.
- Achour-Bouakkaz N. (2006)., The Relation between the urban heat island, phenomenon of the climate change and the density of the built plan: Case of the city of Algiers., Doctoral thesis, Faculty of Science of the earth, the geography and the town and country planning, 149.
- Ministry of the Environment and forest resources (2015). Report of the third national communication on the climate change (CNCC), Republic of Togo, 135., undefined, undefined