Determination of divalent Mercury in environmental samples using 1, 5-diphenyl-3-thiocarbazone: with modified, ultrasensitive, direct Spectrophotometric method
- 1Department of Environmental Science and Research Centre, K.R.T. Arts, B.H. Commerce and A.M. Science College, Nashik, Affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- 2Departments of Microbiology, K.R.T. Arts, B.H. Commerce and A.M. Science College, Nashik, Affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- 3Department of Botany, K.R.T. Arts, B.H. Commerce and A.M. Science College, Nashik, Affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 8-12, March,2 (2017)
The present research investigated that, the analytical reagent,1,5-diphenyl-3 thiocarbazone dissolves in acetone in strongly acidic and 1,4 dioxane media which reacts with mercury (II) to produce orange-red coloured complex at pH 2 (0.2N sulphuric acid). The complex was showing maximum absorbance at 488 nm. Therefore, further analytical parameters were performed at 488nm. The reaction occurs within a minute and absorbance remains unchanged for 24 hrs. The analytical parameters like, effect of metal concentration, reagent concentration, acidity, interference by other metal ions, were investigated. The Lambert-Beer’s law followed within a range of 0.1-25 µgml-1of Hg(II). The stoichiometric ratio of a reagent with the reacting metal is 1:2 (Mercury:Dithiazone). The molar absorptivity was found to be 2.4×104 lmol-1cm-1 and that of specific absorptivity was 0.015µg of mercury (II)/cm2. The selected method is modified, ultrasensitive and is successfully applied for estimation of divalent mercury from polluted water samples.
- Krabbenhoft David P. and Rickert David A. (1995)., Mercury Contamination of Aquatic Ecosystems., U.S. Geological Survey, FS-216-95, 1-4.
- Martin S. (2009)., Human Health Effects of Heavy Metals., Environmental Science and Technology Briefs for Citizens, (CHSR), 15, 1-6.
- Jarup Lars (2003)., Hazards of heavy metal contamination., Oxford Journals, Medicine and health, British medical bulletin, 68(1), 167-182.
- Kudesia V.P. (1988)., Toxicity of metals., in: Air Pollution, Pragall Prakashan, Meerut, 178-199.
- De A.K. (1989)., Environmental Chemistry., Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi, 2nd edition, 75-271.
- Irving H.M.N.H. and Iwantscheff G. (1980)., The analytical application of Dithizone., J. CRC Critical reviews of analytical Chemistry, 8(4), 321-366.
- Yano T., Ide S., Tobeta Y., Kobayashi H. and Ueno K. (1976)., Analytical applications of organic reagents in hydrophobic gel media—II: Selective preconcentration of mercury(II) with dithizone or thiothenoyltrifluoroacetone gel., Talanta, 23(6), 457-459.
- Manzoori J.L., . Sorouraddin M.H. and Haji Shabani A.M. (1998)., Determination of mercury by cold vapour atomic absorption spectrometry after preconcentration with dithizone immobilized on surfactant-coated alumina., J. Anal. At. Spectrom.,13(4), 305-308
- Jamaluddin A. and Alam Md. (2003)., A rapid spectrophotometric method for the determination of mercury in environmental, biological, soil and plant samples using diphenylthiocarbazone., Spectroscopy, 17(1), 45-52.
- Berman E. (1980)., Toxic Metals and Their Analysis, Heyden International topics in Science Series., John Wiley and Sons, Canada, 1-293.
- Fergusson J.E.(1990), The Heavy Elements: Chemistry, Environmental Impact and Health Effects, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 85-547., undefined, undefined
- Jones J.B. (1984)., Developments in the measurement of trace metal constituents in food., Analysis of Food Contaminants, J. Gilbert, ed., Elsevier, Oxford, 157-205.
- Magos L. (1984). Mercury, in:, Hazardous Metals in Human Toxicology, Part B., A. Vercruysse, ed., Elsevier, New York, 171-194.
- Sandell E.B. (1950)., Colorimetric Determination of Traces of Metals., 3rd edn, Interscience, New York, 269.
- Allport N.L. and Brocksopp J.E. (1963)., Colorimetric Analysis., Chapman and Hall Ltd., London, 2, 184-193.
- Jackson M.L. (1965)., Soil Chemical Analysis., Prentice Hall Inc., N.J., USA, 326-338.
- Christian G.D. (1986)., Analytical Chemistry., 4th edn, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 357-389.
- Mitra S. (2004)., Sample Preparation Techniques in Analytical Chemistry., Wiley Interscience, New Jersey, 230-233.
- Job P. (1928)., Formation and stability of inorganic complexes in solution., SID, 9, 113-113.
- Wheatley B. and Wyzga R. (1997)., Mercury as a Global Pollutant, Human Health-Issues., Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 56-77.
- You J.A. and Jones A.L. (1944)., Limits of molar ratio method., Ind. Eng. Chem. Anal. Ed., 16, 111.