Biosorption efficiency of tea residue for analysis of cadmium and lead ions using open circuit potential for real time measurement
- 1Department of Chemistry, Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra - 282005, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra - 282005, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra - 282005, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 6, Issue (2), Pages 25-29, February,2 (2017)
The present paper reports the biosorption efficiency of tea residue (TR) for extermination of Pd+2 and Cd+2 ions from aqueous system using potentiometry as analytical tool. A three electrode cell setup with metal-coated gold (Au) electrode and platinum (Pt) electrode were utilized in form of working electrode for Pb+2 and Cd+2 deposition, respectively. Open circuit potential (OCP)values of metal ion concentration were observed which decreased for both heavy metals with addition of TR. Fourier transform infra-red (FTIR) spectroscopy showed the involvement of OH, C=O and C-O functional groups in the biosorbent. Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) analysis was carried out to study morphological features and showed the porous surface associated with biosorbent. The biosorption efficiency was analyzed to be 126 mg.g-1 for Pb+2 and 60.52 mg.g-1 for Cd+2. TR was found to be a potential biosorbent for removal of Pd+2 and Cd+2ions from aqueous solution. OCP built method offers a green approach which is uncomplicated for real time analysis of biosorption efficiency.
- Vazquez O.F.G., Virgen M.D.R.M., Montoya V.H., Gomez R.T., Flores J.L.A., Cruz M.A.P. and Moran M.A.M. (2016)., Adsorption of heavy metals in the presence of a magnetic field on adsorbents with different magnetic properties., Industrial and engineering chemistry research, 55(34), 9323-9331.
- Matlok M., Petrus R. and Warchol J.K. (2015)., Equilibrium study of heavy metals adsorption on kaolin., Ind. eng. Chem. Res., 54(27), 6975-6984.
- Qin L., Yan L., Chen J., Liu T., Yu H. and Du B. (2016)., Enhanced removal of Pb2+, Cu2+, and Cd2+ by amino-functionalized magnetite/kaolin clay., Ind. eng. Chem. Res., 55(27), 7344-7354.
- Zeng G., Liu Y., Tang L., Yang G., Pang Y., Zhang Y., Zhou Y., Li Z., Li M., Lai M., He X. and He Y. (2015)., Enhancement of Cadmium adsorption by polyacrylic acid modified magnetic mesoporous carbon., Chem. Eng. J., 259, 153-160.
- Masoumi A., Ghaemy M. and Bakht A.N. (2014)., Removal of metal ions from water using poly (MMA-co-MA)/Modified-Fe3O4 magnetic nanocomposite: isotherm and kinetic study., Ind. eng. Chem. Res., 53(19), 8188-8197.
- Garrison N., Cunningham M., Varys D. and Schauer D.J. (2013)., Discovering new biosorbents with atomic absorption spectroscopy: an undergraduate lab experiment., J. Chem. Educ.,91(4), 583-585.
- Thakur L.S. and Mukesh P. (2013)., Adsorption of Heavy metal (Cu+2, Ni+2 and Zn+2) from synthetic waste water by tea waste adsorbent., International journal of chemical and physical. Sciences, 2(6), 6-19.
- Aikpokpodian P.E., Ipinmoroti R.R. and Omotoso S.M. (2010)., Evaluation of tea biomass for nickel contaminated waste water treatment., J. soil Nature, 4(1), 7-16.
- Zuorro A. and Lavecchia R. (2010)., Adsorption of Pb (II) on spent leaves of green and black tea., Am. J. App. Sci., 7(2), 153-159.
- Nandal M., Hooda R. and Dhania G. (2014)., Tea wastes as a sorbent for removal of heavy metals from wastewater., IJCET, 4(1), 243-247.
- Mahvi A.H., Naghipour D., Vaezi F. and Nazmara S. (2005)., Teawastes as an adsorbent for heavy metal removal from industrial wastewaters., Am. J. app. Sci., 2(1), 372-375.
- Satsangee S., Rajawat D.S., Singh P., Sharma S. and Kardam A. (2015)., Real time measurement of biosorption efficiency of chemically modified coconut powder for Pb (II) and Cd (II) using open circuit potential., TACL, 5(3), 140-148.
- Ahadi M.M. and Attar M.M. (2007)., OCP measurement: A method to determine CPVC, Scientia Iranica, 14(4), 369-372.
- Zhou H., Park Z.H., Fan F.F. and Bard A.J. (2012)., Observation of single metal nanoparticles collisions by open circuit (Mixed) potential changes at an ultramicroelectrode., J. Am. chem. Soc., 134(32), 13212-13215.
- Martinez-Sanchez C., Torres-Rodriguez L.M. and Cruz R.F.G. (2013)., Kinetic modeling of biosorption of Cd+2 ions from aqueous solutions onto Eichhornia Crassipes roots using potentiometry: low –cost alternative to conventional methods., Quimica Nova, 36, 1227-1231.
- Radi S., Tighadouini S., Massaoudi M.E., Bacquet M., Degoutin S., Revel B. and Mabkhot Y.N. (2015)., Thermodynamics and kinetics of heavy metals adsorption on silica particles chemically modified by conjugated ß-ketoenol furan., J. Chem. Eng. Data, 60(10), 2915-2925.