Docking Studies of Heme Ligand onto the predicted 3D Structure of Fatty Acid Desaturase 2 from Rat
- 1University of Rwanda, College of Science and Technology, Department of Biology, Avenue de l’Armée, Po. Box 3900, Kigali-Rwanda
- 2University of Rwanda, College of Science and Technology, Department of Biology, Avenue de l’Armée, Po. Box 3900, Kigali-Rwanda
- 3University of Rwanda, College of Science and Technology, Department of Biology, Avenue de l’Armée, Po. Box 3900, Kigali-Rwanda
- 4University of Rwanda, College of Science and Technology, Department of Biology, Avenue de l’Armée, Po. Box 3900, Kigali-Rwanda
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 30-37, September,2 (2016)
Fatty acid desaturase 2 is a membrane bound enzyme of fatty acid desaturase family. It is encoded by a gene Fads2 located on the chromosome 1 of the rat genome. Like other membrane bound protein it has important physiological and industrial importance. Most importantly, the synthesis of polyunsaturated fatty acids requires the presence of fatty acid desaturase 2. However, the lack of its three-dimensional structure hinders the understanding of its biological function at molecular level. Sequence analysis was done using sequence alignment and phylogenetic which shows the evolutionary inferences between the sequence under study and its homologous proteins retrieved from PDB databank. To investigate in its functions, docking studies of heme ligand onto the predicted 3D structure of Fatty acid desaturase 2 from rat was conducted using computational methods. The ligand got docked onto the binding sites of the predicted model with more or less similar interacting residues when compare to interacting residues between heme and the experimentally determined structure of the template protein used while building the 3D model of fatty acid desaturase 2 through homology modeling technique.
- Aki T, Shimada K, Inagaki K, Higashimoto H, Kawamoto, S, Shiget S, Ono K and Suzuki O. (1999)., Molecular cloning and functional characterisation of rat Δ-6 fatty acid desaturase., Biochem Biopyhs Res Commun, 255, 575-579
- Katsuya I, Tsunehiro A, Taketoshi S, Seiji K, Seiko S, Osamu S and O K (2014)., Evidence of Isozymes for Δ6 Fatty Acid Desaturase in Rat Hepatocytes., Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, 67, 451-454.
- Lattka E, Eggers S, Moeller G, Heim K, Weber M, Mehta D, Prokisch H, Illig T and Adamski J. (2010)., A common FADS2 promoter polymorphism increases promoter activity and facilitates binding of transcription factor ELK1., J Lipid Res, 51, 182-191.
- D, The same rat D6-desaturase not only acts on 18- but also on 24-carbon fatty acids in very long chains polyunsaturated fatty acids biosynthesis., Biochem J, 364, 49-55.
- Thomas S, Thien N T, Helge R, Bjørn O C and BH. T. (2003)., Expression and Regulation of Δ5-Desaturase, Δ6-Desaturase, Stearoyl-Coenzyme A (CoA) Desaturase 1, and Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 2 in Rat Testis., Biology of Reproduction, 69, 117-124.
- Watanabe K, Ohno M, Taguchi M, Kawamoto S, Ono K and T A. (2015)., Identification of amino acid residues that determine the substrate specificity of mammalian membrane-bound front-end fatty acid desaturases., J Lipid Res, 57, 89-99.
- Nakamura M and Nara T. (2004)., Structure, function, and dietary regulation of Δ-6, Δ-5, and Δ-9 desaturases., Annu Rev Nutr, 24, 345-376.
- Je M L, Hyungjae L, SeokBeom K and P WJ. (2016)., Fatty Acid Desaturases, Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Regulation, and Biotechnological Advances., Nutrients review, 8, 23-36.
- Guillou H, D, Distinct roles of endoplasmic reticulum cytochrome b5 and fused cytochrome b5-like domain for rat Δ-6-desaturase activity., J Lipid Res, 45, 32-40.
- UniProtConsortium. (2014)., UniProt: a hub for protein information., Nucleic acids research.
- Marco B, Stefan B, Andrew W, Konstantin A, Gabriel S, Tobias S, Florian K, Tiziano G C, Martino B, Lorenza B and S T. (2014)., SWISS-MODEL: modelling protein tertiary and quaternary structure using evolutionary information., Nucleic Acids Research, 42, W252-W258.
- Arnold K, Bordoli L, Kopp J and T S. (2006)., The SWISS-MODEL Workspace: A web-based environment for protein structure homology modelling., Bioinformatics, 22, 195-201.
- Kiefer F, Arnold K, Künzli M, Bordoli L and T S. (2009)., The SWISS-MODEL Repository and associated resources., Nucleic Acids Research, 37, D387-D392.
- Guex N, Peitsch M C and T S. (2009)., Automated comparative protein structure modeling with SWISS-MODEL and Swiss-PdbViewer: A historical perspective., Electrophoresis, 30, S162-S173.
- Altschul S F, Madden T L, Schäffer A A, Zhang J, Zhang Z, MillerW and J LD. (1997)., Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs., Nucleic Acids Research, 25, 389-3402.
- Zhang Y. (2008)., I-TASSER server for protein 3D structure prediction., BMC bioinformatics, 9, 40-47.
- Sievers F , Wilm A DD, Gibson TJ , Karplus K , Li W , Lopez R , McWilliam H , Remmert M , Söding J , Thompson JD and DG H. (2011)., Fast, scalable generation of high-quality protein multiple sequence alignments using Clustal Omega., Molecular Systems Biology, 7, 539.
- Felsenstein J. PHYLIP (1989)., Phylogeny Inference Package., Cladistics, 5, 164-166.
- Colovos C and Yeates TO. (1993)., Verification of protein structures: Patterns of nonbonded atomic interactions., Protein Science, 2, 1511-1519.
- Fiser A and A. S. (2003)., ModLoop: automated modeling of loops in protein structures., Bioinformatics, 19, 2500-2501.
- Laskowski R A, MacArthur M W, Moss D S and M TJ. (1993)., PROCHECK: A program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures., J Appl Cryst, 26, 283-291.
- Guex N and Peitsch M. C. (1997)., SWISS-MODEL and the Swiss-PdbViewer: an environment for comparative protein modeling., Electrophoresis, 18, 2714-2723.
- Maithri S K, Ramesh K V and Mutangana D. (2013)., Theoretical structure prediction of TcaA from Photorhabdus luminescens and aminopeptidase N receptor from Helicoverpa armigera., Research Journal of Recent Sciences, 2, 40-49.
- Zhao FP, Fan HY, Li GH and BK Z. (2016)., Complete mitochondrial genome sequence and gene organization of Chinese indigenous chickens with phylogenetic considerations., Genet Mol Res, 15.
- Zhao YY, Su LN, Zhang ZM and XY W. (2016)., Phylogenetic relationships of Pseudohynobius (Urodela, Hynobiidae) inferred from DNA barcoding analysis., Genet Mol Res, 15.
- Wang Z X, Zhang W, Wu C, Lei H, Cieplak P and Duan Y. (2006)., Strike a balance: Optimization of backbone torsion parameters of AMBER polarizable force field for simulations of proteins and peptides., J Comp Chem, 27, 781-790.
- Kleywegt GJ and Jones TA. (1996)., Phi/Psi-chology: Ramachandran revisited., Structure, 6, 4, 1395-1400.
- Prabhavathi M, Ashokkumar K, Geetha N and M SDK. (2011)., Homology modeling and structure prediction of thioredoxin (TRX) protein in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)., Intl J Biosci, 1, 20-30.
- Mutangana D and Ramesh K V. (2015)., Modeling the interactions between MC2R and ACTH models from human., Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, 33, 770-788.
- Umme H, Ramesh K V, Lochana P and Mutangana D. (2014)., Molecular dynamics simulation of homology modeled cytosolic hsp90 isoform from Arabidopsis thaliana., International Journal of Analytical,Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, 3, 63-80.