Prevalence of Respiratory Discomforts among School going Children (10-14 years) in Puducherry and Karaikal, India: An Epidemiological Study
- 1Department of Nutrition & Dietetics, Achariya Arts & Science College, Pondicherry, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 7-14, September,2 (2016)
The incidence of respiratory discomforts has been increasing worldwide in the last few decades, in urban areas as well as rural areas. Only few studies have examined the prevalence of respiratory discomforts among school going children (10 – 14 years) in the Puducherry and Karaikal. To study the prevalence of respiratory discomforts among the target group using PEFR and pulse oxymetry as indicators. Two hundred school going children (10 – 14 years) were selected from Puducherry and Karaikal. An interview schedule was designed to elicit socio-economic, demographic and cultural conditions. Anthropometric measurements like height, weight and chest circumference were studied. Peak expiratory flow rate, oxygen saturation (SpO2) and pulse rate were measured. The mean PEFR and oxygen saturation values of boys in Puducherry were higher (297.08 and 98.23 respectively) than that of Karaikal (260.68 and 97.30 respectively). Higher values of mean PEFR and oxygen saturation (283.85 and 97.35 respectively) were found in girls of Puducherry than of Karaikal (174.64 and 96.98 respectively). The mean peak expiratory flow rate and oxygen saturation were higher among the school going children of Puducherry than Karaikal due to various socio-economic, demographic and environmental factors. The PEFR was found to be high among the boys of both the regions than girls.
- British Lung Foundation (n.d.), (2016)., Facts about respiratory disease., Retrieved from http://www.lunguk. org/media-and-campaigning/media-centre/lung-stats-and-acts/factaboutrespiratorydisease.htm., British Lung Foundation, England and Wales.
- European Lung Function (n.d.a), (2016)., Lung diseases., Retrieved from http://www.european-lung-foundation.org/ index.php?id=16, European Lung Function.
- Kumar R., Singhal P., Jain A. and Raj Neelima (2008)., Prevalence of bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis in school girls in Delhi., Indian J Allergy Asthma Immunol, 22, 99-104.
- National Health Profile (NHP) of India - 2011 (2013)., Health Status Indicators., Available from: http://cbhidghs.nic.in/writereaddata/mainlinkFile/08%20Health%20status%20%20Indicators%20%202011.pdf [ Last accessed on 2013 March 26].
- Malik S.K., Jindal S.K., Sharda P.K. and Banga N. (1982)., Peak expiratory flow rate of healthy school girls from Punjab., Indian Pediatrics, 18, 161-64.
- Sharma Meenakshi, Sharma Ram Babu and Chowdary Raghveer (2012)., Peak Expiratory Flow rate in children of western Rajasthan 7-14 years of age., Pak J Phsiol, 8(1).