Prevalence, Dietary intake and Physical Activity levels of Overweight and obese School Children
- 1Department of Food and Nutrition, Smt. VHD Central Institute of Home Science (Autonomous), Seshadri Road, Bengaluru-01, Karnataka, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (9), Pages 1-6, September,2 (2016)
In India, overweight and obesity is increasing among young children because of various factors such as urbanization leading to changed life style patterns especially with respect to dietary pattern and physical activity. In this context the present investigation was undertaken to study the Prevalence, Dietary intake and physical activity levels of overweight and obese school children. Hence the present study was conducted with the objective to screen the school going children for overweight and obesity and to assess the dietary intake and physical activity levels of overweight and obese school children. The study showed that the subjects were aged between 10 – 16 years. The study included sixty five boys and thirty five girls. Irregular dietary pattern negatively influence on weight gain, where majority of boys (52%) and girls (51%) sometimes skip breakfast. It was found that consumption of junk foods was high among boys when compared to girls, in which data indicates majority of boys (54%) and girls (55%) eat outside food. Majority of the subjects do not indulge in physical activity, among which majority of the subjects never exercise, never participate in outdoor and indoor games.
- Wim Labree, Dike van de Mheen, Frans Rutten, Gerda Rodenburg, Gerrit Koopmans, Marleen Foets (2015)., Differences in Overweight and Obesity among Children from Migrant and Native Origin: The Role of Physical Activity, Dietary Intake, and Sleep Duration., PLOS One, http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0123672/1/6/2015
- Mahajan Preetam B., Purty Anil J., Singh Zile, Cherian Johnson, Natesan Murugan, Arepally Sandeep and Senthilvel V. (2011)., Study of Childhood Obesity Among School Children Aged 6 to 12 Years in Union Territory of Puducherry., Indian J Community Med., 36(1), 45–50.
- Jelliffe D.B. (1966)., The assessment of the nutritional status of the community., WHO, Geneva, 240.
- Jelliffe D.B. (1966)., The assessment of the nutritional status of community., Monograph Series, No. 53, WHO, Geneva, 50-78.
- Termini R.B., Roberto T.A. and Hostetter S.G. (2011)., Food Advertising and Childhood Obesity: A Call to Action for Proactive Solutions., Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology., 12(2), 619-651.
- Lawson J.A., Rennie D.C., Dosman J.A., Cammer A.L. and Senthilselvan A. (2013)., Obesity, diet, and activity in relation to asthma and wheeze among rural dwelling children and adolescents., J Obes, 315096. doi: 10.1155/2013/315096.