Characterization of Corrosion Behavior of Low Carbon Steel Oil Pipelines by Crude Oil
- 1College of Materials Eng., Department of Material Engineering, Babylon University, Iraq
- 2College of Materials Eng., Department of Material Engineering, Babylon University, Iraq
- 3College of Materials Eng., Department of Material Engineering, Babylon University, Iraq
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 7-13, May,2 (2016)
Corrosion and erosion–corrosion in weld joints of petroleum pipelines were investigated by the studying the corrosion of carbon steel in crude oil and water extraction from oil. The experimental work tests of erosion- corrosion were done using special device which was designed according to (G 73) ASTM. The work tests were achieved using traditional weight loss technique to measure weight loss rates in (mpy) Unit, the tests above were done in pumped media and pumped media had constant pressure of 1 bar, flow rate Q = 36 L/min, temperature 25 ºC and pH = 6.56 for erosive-corrosive media. Weight loss method was used in which test specimens of carbon steel, with a known weights, were immersed in the oil for a total exposure time of 60 days and for 10 days in water. Metallographic observations and micro-hardness measurements were also performed on specimens taken from the parent metal, heat affected zone and weld metal. The obtained results clearly indicate a degradation of the mechanical properties of steel welds.
- Badogiannis E., Tsiourva D., Papazoglou V.J., Pantelis D.I. and Tsouvalis N.G. (2008)., Corrosion and its Effects on the Mechanical Properties of AH36 Steel Welds., Taylor and Francis Group, (7), 145-151.
- Zakaria B., Chemseddine D. and Thierry B. (2010)., Effect of Welding on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of an Industrial Low Carbon Steel., Sci. Res., 2(07), 502–506.
- Ehsan S., Abbas B., Nader C. and Mehdi R. (2010)., The effect of Microstructure on Hardness and Toughness of Low Carbon Welded Steel Using Inert Gas Welding., Materials and Design, 32 (4), 2042–2048.
- Ilman N. and Kusmono (2014)., Case Studies: Analysis of internal corrosion in subsea oil pipeline., Science Direct, 2(1), 1–8.
- Nagham H. (2013)., The Effect of Different Operating Parameters on the Corrosion Rate of Carbon Steel in Petroleum Fractions., Eng. Tech. Journal, 31 (6), 1182–1193.
- Amir S. and Ali B. (2013)., Investigation of Corrosion in Oil and Gas Pipelines in Southwestern Iran., World Sci. J., 02, 114–127.
- Smith L. and Virmani Y. (2000)., Materials and Methods for Corrosion Control of Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Structures in New Construction., Federal Highway Administration.
- Badmos Y., Ajimotokan A. and Emmanuel O. (2009)., Corrosion in Petroleum Pipelines., New York Sci. J., 2(5), 36–40.
- Babatunde A., Bassey P. and Bassey E. (2011)., Determination of Corrosive Tendences of Petroleum Products., Journal of Engineering Applied Science, 3, 58–63.
- Yuehua Y. and Randall T. (2013)., Surface Science Techniques, 51(1), http://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-34243-1
- ASTM G205 - 10 (2015)., Standard Guide for Determining Corrosivity of Crude Oils., Active Standard ASTM G205 Developed by Subcommittee: G01.05, Book of Standards Volume: 03.02. http://www.astm.org/ Standards/G205.htm
- Badogiannis E., Tsiourra D., Papazoglou V., Pantelis D. and Tsouvlis N. (2008)., Corrosion and its Effects on the Mechanical Properties of AH36 Steel Welds., Taylor and Francis Group, 145–152
- Sephton M. and Pistorius P.C. (2000)., Localised Corrosion of Carbon Steel Weldments, Corrosion, 56(12), 1272–1279.
- John W. and Sons (2013)., Heterogeneous Electrode Processes and Localized Corrosion., Royal Military College of Canada Ontario.
- Roland P. and Dominic P. (2000)., Repairing Internal Corrosion Defects in Pipelines - A Case Study., International Pipeline Rehabilitation and Maintenance Conference, 44, 0–25.
- Biomorgi J., Hernandez S., Marin J., Rodriguez E., Lara M. and Viloria A. (2011)., Internal Corrosion Studies in Hydrocarbons Production Pipelines Located at Venezuelan Northeastern, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 90 (9), 1159–1167.
- Slobodyan Z., Nykyforehyn H. and Petrushchak O. (2002)., Corrosion Resistance of Pipe Steel in Oil-Water Media, Mater. Sci., 38(3), 424–429.
- Sami A. and Mohammed A. (2008)., Study Synergy Effect on Erosion-Corrosion in Oil Pipes, Eng. and Tech, 26(9).
- Lekan P., Alhaji S., Ganiyu K., Babagana G. and Adebori S. (2013)., Corrosion Problems During Oil and Gas Production and its Mitigation., I. J. of Industrial Chemistry, 4(1), 35.
- Philip S. (2010)., Fundamentales of Corrosion Mechanisme, Causes, and Preventative Methods., United States of America: Taylor and Francis Group.