A Study on Extraction and Application of Eco-Friendly Natural Dye Extracted from Flowers of Hibiscus Vittifoliusl on Silk Fabric using combination of Mordants and their Antimicrobial Activity
- 1Department of Chemistry, A. V. V. M. Sri Pushpam College, Poondi, Thanjavur, Tamilnadu-613503, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, A. V. V. M. Sri Pushpam College, Poondi, Thanjavur, Tamilnadu-613503, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (4), Pages 39-45, April,2 (2016)
In the present study dye extract was prepared from flower of Hibiscus vittifolius L was used as a source of natural dyes for dyeing of silk samples. It belongs to family malvaceae, commonly known as siru thutthi. The dye has good scope in the commercial dyeing of silk in textile industry. So in present investigation, bleached silk fabrics were dyed with different chemical mordants. The colour fastness properties dyed fabrics washing, light, rubbing fastness and perspiration fastness and K/S –value of dyed silk fabric were determined. From the comparative study of fastness properties and K/S –value of the dyed silk samples, Hibiscus vittifolius L in pre mordanting method with 4% mordant (ferrous sulphate) combination give better results. Antimicrobial activities of the dye extract were also studied.
- Vankar P.S., Shankar R. and Wijayapala S. (2009)., Dyeing Cotton, Silk and Wool Yarn with Extract of Garnicia mangostana Pericarp., JTATM, 6(1)
- Thomas Bechtold, Rita Mussak, Amalid Mahmud-Ali, Erika Ganglberger and Susanne Geissler (2006)., Extraction of natural dyes for textile dyeing from coloured plant wastes released from the food and beverage industry., J. Sci. Food Agric., 86, 233‐242.
- Purrohit A., Mallick S., Nayak A., Das N.B., Nanda B. and Sahoo S. (2007)., Developing multiple natural dyes from flower parts of Gulmohur., Current science, 92, 12.
- Neha Grover and Vidya Patni (2011)., Extraction and application of natural dye preparations from the floral parts of Woodfordia fruticosa (Linn.) Kurz., Indian J. Nat. Prod. Resour., 2(4), 403-408.
- Kamel M.M., El-Shishtawy R.M., Yussef B.M. and Mashaly H. (2005)., Ultrasonic assisted dyeing: III. Dyeing of wool with lac as a natural dye., Dyes Pigm., 65, 103-110.
- Kulkarni S.S., Gokhale A.V., Bodake U.M. and Pathade G.R. (2011)., Cotton dyeing with Natural Dye Extracted from Pomegranate Peel., Univers. J. Environ. Res. Technol., 1(2), 135-139.
- Kumaresan M., Palnisamy P.N. and Kumar P.E. (2011)., Application of Eco friendly Natural Dye Obtained from flower of Spathodea Campanulata on Silk., Eur. J. Sci. Res., 52(3), 306-312.
- Vankar P.S., Shanker R., Mahanta D. and Tiwari S.C. (2008)., Ecofriendly sonicator dyeing of cotton with Rubia cordifolia Linn., using biomordant. Dyes Pigm., 76(1), 207-212, ISSN 0143-720876.
- Habibzadeh S., Tayebi H., Eerami E., Shams A., Nateri M. Allahnia and Bahmai M. (2010)., Silk Dyeing Using Saw: Wood of the Zelkoa Forest Tree., World Appl. J., 9(3), 295-299.
- Rajni Singh, Astha Jain, Shikha Panwar, Deepti Guptha and Khare S.K. (2005)., Antimicrobial activity of some natural dyes., Dyes Pigm., 66, 1-4.