Study of the Railway noise level in Bolpur and Prantik Station, India
- 1Department of Environmental Studies, Siksha-Bhavana, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan, India
- 2Department of Environmental Studies, Siksha-Bhavana, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan, India
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (4), Pages 23-28, April,2 (2016)
Railway noise is second largest sources of noise pollution. The main sources of railway noise are rolling noise caused by interaction between wheel and railway track, aerodynamic noise caused by unsteady air flow over the train, traction noise such noise created from the engine and gearbox and warning signal noise such as horn noise. In the present study measured the noise at the created by railways activities of the Bolpur station, Prantik station and outside the station where the train was thoroughly passed with full speed at the distance of 10m and 20m. The results indicated that the noise level created by railway activities was high, when the train passed. The result also indicated that the noise created by high speed train such as express train was made more noise than the passenger train.
- Thompson D. (2009)., Railway noise and Vibration Mechanism, Modelling and Means of Control., Elsevier, 17.
- Xiaoan G. (2006)., Railway environmental noise control in China., Journal of Sound and Vibration, 293, 1078-1085.
- Jehanno A. (2011)., High Speed Rail and Sustainability, Paris., www.uic.org/download.php/publication/531E.pdf
- Dhaar G.M. and Robbani I. (2008)., Founding of Community Medicine., 2nd ed., Elsevier, 97.
- Indian Railways, Wikipedia The free encyclopedia (2015)., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_ Railways.
- Wikipedia for Schools (2015)., http://schools-wikipedia.org/wp/i/Indian_Railways.htm.
- Banerjee D. (2006)., Ambient Noise Level around an integrated Iron & Steel works., Bulletin of National Institute of Ecology, 32(4), 144-146.
- Powitz R. and Balsamo J.J. (1997)., An inexpensive Sound Level Meter., Journal of Environmental Health, 59, 27.
- Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) (2000). Ambient Air Quality Respect of Noise, Schedule: Part-II, Sec-3(II).
- Ali S.Y. and Chaudhury S. (2015)., Noise level and Annoyance in Mela Ground, Santiniketan, India during Poush Mela., International Research Journal of Environment Sciences, 4(6), 1-6.
- Leq, LAeq - Equivalent Sound Level - Acoustic Glossary (2015)., http://www.acoustic-glossary.co.uk/leq.htm.
- Community Noise Calculators - Ldn, Lden and CNEL (2015)., https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/ldn-calculator.asp (2015).
- Baltrėnas P., Butkus D., Nainys V., Grubliauskas R. and Graudinytė J. (2007)., Evaluation of Noise Barrier Efficiency., Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape management, 15(3), 125–134
- Pronello C. (2003)., The measurement of train noise: A case study in northen Italy., Transportation Research Part D, 8, 113-128.