Corrosion inhibition performance of Coriander Seeds extract molecules for pure Aluminum in Hydrochloric acid Medium: A combined Experimental and Quantum chemical approach
- 1Department of Chemistry, School of Sciences, Gujarat University, Navrangpura, Ahmedazbad-380009, Gujarat, INDIA
- 2School of Chemical Sciences, Central University of Gujarat, Sector 30, Gandhinagar- 382030, Gujarat, INDIA
Res. J. Recent Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 27-34, January,2 (2016)
The study of inhibitive properties of coriander seeds extract (CSE) molecules over Aluminum surface in 1M hydrochloric acid (HCl) medium was performed by standard weight loss(gravimetric) and electrochemical impedance methods. Result from gravimetric measurements showed that behavior of inhibition efficiency is directly proportional to concentration of inhibitor. Impedance measurement reveals that charge transfer resistance and constant phase element values increases and decreases respectively with increase in concentration of inhibitor. The study indicates that the molecules present in the extract forms a protective layer at metal/solution interface. In addition quantum chemical study was also performed using density functional theory (DFT) to elucidate the inhibitory activity of individual molecule present in the extract. The result from quantum study showed that 10, 12-Hexadecadien-1-ol had the maximum power of adsorption at Aluminum surface to prevent it from corrosion.
- Tamilarasan R. and Sreekanth A. (2013), Spectroscopicand DFT investigations on the corrosion inhibitionbehavior of tris (5-methyl-2-thioxo-1,3,4-thiadiazole)borate on high carbon steel and aluminum inHCl media, RSC Adv, 3, 23681-23691.
- Eduok U.M., Umoren S.A. and Udoh A.P. (2012), Synergistic inhibition effects between leaves and stemextracts of Sida acuta and iodide ion for mild steelcorrosion in 1 M H2SO4 solutions, Arabian J. Chem., 5,325337.
- Tao Z., He W. Wang S. and Zhou G. (2013), Electrochemical study of cyproconazole as a novelcorrosion inhibitor for copper in acidic solution, Ind.Eng. Chem. Res., 52, 17891−17899.
- Vasudha V.G. and Shanmuga Priya K. (2013), Polyalthia longifolia as a corrosion inhibitor for mildsteel in HCl solution, Res. J. Chem. Sci., 3, 21-26.
- Kamal C. and Sethuraman M.G. (2012). Spirulinaplatensis:, A novel green inhibitor for acid corrosion ofmild steel, Arabian J. Chem., 5, 155161.
- Benali O., Benmehdi H., Hasnaoui O., Selles C. andSalghi R. (2013), Green corrosion inhibitor: inhibitiveaction of tannin extract of Chamaerops humilis plant forthe corrosion of mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4, J. Mater.Environ. Sci., 4, 127-138.
- Ozcan M., Solmaz R., Kardas G. and Dehri I. (2008), Adsorption properties of barbiturates as green corrosioninhibitors on mild steel in phosphoric acid, Colloids andSurfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 325, 5763
- Alvarez-Bustamante R., Negron-Silva G., Abreu-QuijanoM., Herrera-Hernandez H., Romero-Romo M., Cuan A.and Palomar-Pardave M. (2009), Electrochemical studyof 2-mercaptoimidazole as a novel corrosion inhibitor forsteels, Electrochim. Acta, 54, 53935399.
- Vakili Azghandi M., Davoodi A., Farzi G.A. and KosariA. (2012), Water-base acrylic terpolymer as a corrosioninhibitor for SAE1018 in simulated sour petroleumsolution in stagnant and hydrodynamic conditions, Corros. Sci., 64, 4454
- Laamari R., Benzakour J., Berrekhis F., Abouelfida A.,Derja A. and Villemin D. (2011), Corrosion inhibition ofcarbon steel in hydrochloric acid 0.5 M by hexamethylene diamine tetramethyl-phosphonic acid, ArabianJ. Chem., 4, 271277
- Khaled K.F. and Abdel-Rehim S.S. (2011), Electrochemical investigation of corrosion and corrosioninhibition of iron in hydrochloric acid solutions, ArabianJ. Chem., 4, 397402
- Oguzie E.E., Adindu C.B., Enenebeaku C.K., OgukweC.E., Chidiebere M.A. and Oguzie K.L. (2011), Naturalproducts for materials protection, Mechanism ofcorrosion inhibition of mild steel by acid extracts of Piperguineense, J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 13603−13615
- Alkhathlan H.Z., Khan M., Abdullah M.M.S., Al-MayoufA.M., Mousa A.A. and Al-Othman Z.A.M. (2014), Launaea nudicaulis as a source of new and efficient greencorrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acidic medium, Acomparative study of two solvent extracts, Int. J.Electrochem. Sci., 9, 870889.
- Li X., Deng S., Fu H. and Xie X. (2014), Synergisticinhibition effects of bamboo leaf extract/majorcomponents and iodide ion on the corrosion of steel inH3PO4 solution, Corros. Sci., 78, 2942.
- Al-Khaldi M.A. and Al-qahtani K.Y. (2013), Corrosioninhibition of steel by Coriander extracts in hydrochloricacid solution, J. Mater. Environ. Sci., 4, 593-600.
- Fouda Abd El-Aziz. S., Rashwan S.M. and AboMosallamH.A. (2014), Aqueous Extract of CorianderSeeds as Green Corrosion Inhibitor for 304 StainlessSteel in Hydrochloric Acid Solutions, J. Korean Chem.Soc., 58, 25-32.
- Kairi N.I. and Kassim J. (2013), The effect oftemperature on the corrosion inhibition of mild steel in 1M HCl solution by curcuma longa extract, Int. J.Electrochem. Sci., 8, 71387155.
- Halambek J. and Berković K. (2012), Inhibitive actionof anethum graveolens L. oil on aluminium corrosion inacidic media, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7, 83568368.
- Rosliza R., Wan Nik W. B. and Sudin I. (2011), Efficiency Comparison of some Natural Products onCorrosion Inhibition of Al-Mg-Si Alloy, Adv. Mater.Res., 328, 1206-1209.
- Geetha S., Lakshmi S. and Bharathi K. (2011), Solanumtrilobatum as a green inhibitor for aluminium corrosionin alkaline medium, J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 5, 195-204.
- Prabhu D. and Rao P. (2013), Coriandrum sativum L: Anovel green inhibitor for the corrosion inhibition ofaluminium in 1.0 M phosphoric acid solution, J. Environ.Chem. Eng., 1, 676683.
- Mourya P., Banerjee S., Rastogi R.B., and Singh M.M.(2013), Inhibition of mild steel corrosion in hydrochloricand sulfuric acid media using a thiosemicarbazonederivative, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52, 12733−12747.
- Selles C., Benali O., Tabti B., Larabi L. and Harek Y.(2012), Green corrosion inhibitor: inhibitive action ofaqueous extract of Anacyclus pyrethrumL. for thecorrosion of mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4, J. Mater.Environ. Sci., 3, 206-219.
- Burstein G.T. and Cinderey R.J. (1991), The potential offreshly generated metal surfaces determined from theguillotined electrode a new technique, Corros. Sci., 32,11951211.
- Metiko-Hukovic M., Babic΄ R. and Grubacˇ Z. (1998), Corrosion protection of Al in acidic chloride solutionswith nontoxic inhibitors, J. Appl. Electrochem., 28, 433439.
- Hamdy A. and El-Gendy N. Sh. (2013). Thermodynamic, adsorption and electrochemical studies for corrosioninhibition of carbon steel by henna extract in acidmedium, Egypt. J. Pet., 22, 1725.
- Krishnegowda P.M., Venkatesha V.T. (2013).Krishnegowda P.K.M and Shivayogiraju S.B., Acalyphatorta Leaf Extract as Green Corrosion Inhibitor for MildSteel in Hydrochloric Acid Solution, Ind. Eng. Chem.Res., 52, 722−728.
- Al-Turkustani A.M. (2010), Aloe plant extract asenvironmentally friendly inhibitor on the corrosion ofaluminum in hydrochloric acid in absence and presenceof iodide ions, Mod. Appl. Sci., 4, 105-124.
- Lukovits I., Kalman E. and Zucchi F. (2001), Corrosioninhibitors-correlation between electronic structure andefficiency, Corros., 57, 3-8.