Cowpea emergence response to cadmium stress
- 1Department of Biological Sciences, Edo University Iyamho, Nigeria and Environmental Biotech and Sustainability Research Group, Dept of Plant Biology and Biotech, University of Benin, Nigeria
- 2Environmental Biotech and Sustainability Research Group, Dept of Plant Biology and Biotech, University of Benin, Nigeria
- 3Environmental Biotech and Sustainability Research Group, Dept of Plant Biology and Biotech, University of Benin, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 17-23, July,18 (2019)
Cadmium been the utmost prominent and extensively distributed heavy metal in Nigeria soils. This study investigated the emergence of cowpea accessions (TVu-91,92,93,95 and 96) to cadmium stress in Nigeria soils. The experimental setup consisted of 3 treatments namely 0ESV, 2.5ESV and 5ESV (Ecological Screening Value) and the following parameters were taken; time to 50% emergence, height of emergence, hypocotyl length, terminal leaf breadth and length, fresh and dry weight matter. Cadmium caused a significant decrease in the studied parameter. In TVu-91, cadmium pollution resulted to 2-days delay in time to 50% emergence between the control and 5ESV. The emergence height of TVu-93 sown in Cd-5ESV was 10.67cm as compared to 12.10cm in the control, the hypocotyl length was also reduced from 3.7 to 2.3cm with increased concentration. Terminal leaf length and breadth followed similar trend of reduction. However, the various accessions responded differently as there were insignificantly difference observed in the emergent height of TVu-93 between the treatments. In conclusion, although cadmium pollution reduced the emergence productivity of cowpea accession, however its effect varied within the accessions. This suggests that the presence of the genetic makeup of the individual accessions have the ability to withstand cadmium stress.
- Cui Y.J., Zhu Y.G., Zhai R.H., Huang Y., Qiu Y., Liang J.Z., Zengin F.K. and Munzuroglu O. (2005)., Effects of some Heavy Metals on Content of Chlorophyll, Proline and some Antioxidant Chemicals in Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Seedlings., Acta Biologica Cracoviensia Series Botanica, 47(2), 157-164.
- Galadima A., Garba Z.N., Leke L., Almustapha M.N. and Adam I.K. (2011)., Domestic water Pollution among Local Communities in Nigeria - causes and consequences., European J. Scientific Research, 52(4), 592-603.
- Ohanmu E.O. and Ikhajiagbe B. (2018)., Enzymatic and Non-Enzymatic response of Sphenostylis stenocarpa to Cadmium Stress., Asian J. Applied Sci., 11, 125-134.
- Ohanmu E.O., Ikhajiagbe B. and Anoliefo G.O. (2017)., Assessment of Growth and Yield responses African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) to Cadmium Pollution., Nig. J. Life Sci., 7(2), 166-180.
- Van-Assehe F. and Clijsters C.P.H. (1990)., Effects of Metals on Enzyme Activity in Plants., Plant Cell Environmental, 13(3), 195-206.
- Ikhajiagbe B., Anoliefo G.O., Ohanmu E.O. and Aliu E. (2018)., Effects of different Cadmium Levels on the Growth and Yield Parameters of Wild Vigna., Studia Universitatis Babeş-Bolyai Biologia, LXIII, 2, 169-182.
- Gallego S.M., Pena L.B., Barcia R.A., Azpilicueta C.E., Iannone M.F. and Rosales E.P. (2012)., Unravelling Cadmium Toxicity and Tolerance in Plants: Insight into Regulatory Mechanisms., Environmental Experimental Botany, 83, 33-46.
- Yeuka M., Sanele M. and Norah B. (2017)., The Effects of Sub Lethal Levels of Lead on Acetylcholinesterase Activity in the Rock Pigeon (Columba Livia)., Zimbabwe J. Sci. Techn., 12, 1-7.
- Espin S., Martínez-Lopez E., Jimenez P., Maria-Mojica P. and García-Fernández A.J. (2014)., Effects of Heavy Metals on Biomarkers for Oxidative Stress in Griffon Vulture (Gyps fulvus)., Environmental Research, 129, 59-68.
- Ikhajiagbe B. (2016)., Possible Adaptive Growth responses of Chromolaena odorata during Heavy Metal Remediation., Ife Journal of Sci., 18(2), 403-411.
- Ohanmu E.O. and Ikhajiagbe B. (2018)., Effect of Cadmium Pollution on Nitrogen Assimilation and Bioaccumulation of Vigna unguiculata L., Asian J. Applied Sci., 11, 183-191.
- IITA. (1999)., Cowpea-Cereals Systems Improvement in the Savannas., Annual Report of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Singh B.B. (2007)., Potential and Constraints of improved Cowpea Varieties in increasing the Productivity of Systems in the Dry Savannas of West Africa., 14.
- Kamara A.Y., Chikoye D., Omoigui L.O. and Dugje I.Y. (2007)., Influence of Insecticide spraying Regimes and Cultivar on Insect-Pests and Yield of Cowpea in the Dry Savannas of North-Eastern Nigeria., J. Food, Agriculture and Environment, 5(1), 154-158.
- FAO. (2000). Site internet: http://www.fao.org/statistics., undefined, undefined
- Singh B.B., Chamblis O.L. and Sharma B. (1997)., Recent Advances in Cowpea Breeding., In Cowpea research, (ed.) Singh B.B., Mohan-Raj D.R., Dashiel K.E. and Jackai L.E.N. Co-publication of International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) and Japan International Research Centre for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS). IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria, 30.
- Thio I.G., Zida E.P., Sawadogo M. and Sérémé P. (2016)., Current status of Colletotrichum capsici strains, causal agents of Brown blotch disease of cowpea in Burkina Faso., African Journal of Biotechnology, 15(5), 96-104.
- Abdulai M., Kusi F., Seini S.S., Seidu A., Nboyine J.A. and Larbi A. (2017)., Effects of planting Date, Cultivar and Insecticide spray Application for the Management of Insect-Pests of Cowpea in Northern Ghana., Crop Prot., 100, 168-176.
- Ohanmu E.O., Ikhajiagbe B. and Edegbai B.O. (2018)., Nitrogen Distribution pattern in African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) exposed to Cadmium Stress., J. Applied Sci. Environ. Management, 22(7), 1053-1057.
- Kanteh S.M., Norma J.E. and Sherman K.J. (2014)., Effect of Plant Density and Weeding Regime on Population and Severity of Aphids (Aphis craccivora Koch) and Foliage Beetles (Ootheca mutabilis Sahl) on Cowpea in Sierra Leone., Int. J. Agric. For., 4, 24-33.
- Kamai N., Kamara A.Y. and Omogui I.O. (2014)., Varietal Trials and Physiological Basis for Yield Differences among Cowpea Varieties in Sudan Savanna of Nigeria., International J. Agriculture Innovations and Research, 2(5), 855-859.
- Ekpo M.A. and Ebeagwu C.J. (2009)., The Effect of Crude Oil on Microorganisms and Dry Matter of Fluted Pumpkin (Telfaria occidentalis)., Sci. Research Essay, 4(8), 733-739.
- Josep A.R. and Maria M. (2002)., Seed Germination and Reproductive Features of Lysimachia minoricensis (Primulaceae), a Wild Extinct Plant., Annuals of Botany, 89(5), 559-562.
- Talebi S., Nabavi-Kalat S.M. and Sohani-Darban A.L. (2014)., The Study Effects of Heavy Metals on Germination Characteristics and Proline Content of Triticale (Triticoseale Wittmack)., International J. Farming and Allied Sci., 3(10), 1080-1087.
- Rahman K.M. and Mahmud K.M. (2010)., Effect of varying Concentration of Nickel and Cobalt on the Plant Growth and Yield of Chickpea., Australian J. Basic Applied Sci., 4(6), 1036-1046.
- Singh D., Nath K. and Kumar S.Y. (2007)., Response of Wheat Seed Germination and Seedling Growth under Copper Stress., J. Environmental Biology, 28(2), 409-414.
- John M.K. and Van-Laerhoven C.J. (1976)., Differential Effects of Cadmium on Lettuce Varieties., Environmental Pollution, 10(3), 163-173.
- Ahsan N., Lee D.G., Lee S.H., Kang K.Y., Lee J.J., Kim P.J., Yoon H.S., Kim J.S. and Lee B.H. (2007)., Excess Copper induced Physiological and Proteomic changes in Germinating Rice Seeds., Chemosphere, 67(6), 1182-1193.
- Wang M. and Zhou Q. (2005)., Single and joint Toxicity of Chlorimuronethyl, Cadmium and Copper acting on Wheat (Triticum aestivum)., Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 60, 169-175.
- Khajeh-Hosseini M., Powell A.A. and Bingham I.J. (2003)., The interaction between Salinity Stress and Seed Vigour during Germination of SOYBEAN seeds., Seed Sci. Technology, 31, 715-725.
- Kiran Y. and Munzuroglu O. (2004)., The effects of Lead on the Seed Germination and Seedling Growth of Lens (Lens culinaris Medic.)., Firat University J. Sci. Engineering, 16(1), 1-9.
- Shukla A.K., Prasad S., Srivastava S.K., Singh S.P. and Singh R.P. (2003)., Allelopathic Effect of Thatch Grass (Imperata cylindrica L.) on various Kharif and Rabi Season Crops and Weeds., Indian J. Weed Sci., 35, 163-166.
- Scebba F., Arduini I., Ercoli L. and Sebastiani L. (2006)., Cadmium Effects on Growth and Antioxidant Enzymes Activities in Miscanthus sinensis., Biologia Plantarum, 50(4), 688-692.
- Abu-Muriefah S.S. (2008)., Growth Parameters and Elemental Status of Cucumber (Cucumus sativus) Seedlings in response to Cadmium Accumulation., International J. Agriculture and Biology, 10(3), 261-266.
- John R., Ahmad P., Gadgil K. and Sharma S. (2008)., Effect of Cadmium and Lead on Growth, Biochemical Parameters and Uptake in Lemna polyrrhiza L., Plant, Soil and Environment, 54, 262-270.