Functional groups determination and the production of biodiesel from Garcinia Kola seeds using trans-esterification reaction
- 1Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria
- 2Department of Microbiology, Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria
- 3Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 1-6, July,18 (2019)
Plants are important in our everyday existence. They provide our foods, produce the oxygen we breathe, and serve as raw materials for many industrial products such as clothes, foot wears and so many others. Plants also provide raw materials for our buildings and in the manufacture of biofuels, dyes, perfumes, pesticides and drugs. In this research, Garcinia kola seeds were purchased locally and the seeds were deshelled, washed and allowed to dry. The extraction of oil was done using soxhlet extraction technique (hot method). After the extraction, Biodiesel was then produced from the oil using the Trans-esterification process. The already produced Oil and biodiesel were characterized for its physicochemical properties and the result compared to standards. The bitter kola biodiesel was also exposed to FTIR analysis to determine the functional groups and organic compounds inherent in the biodiesel produced. From the experimental result obtained, the produced were found to meet the ASTM standards for biodiesel. The results obtained from analysis of biodiesel from Garciniakola include free fatty acid: 0.822%; acid value: 1.635mgKOH/g; specific gravity: 0.9; kinematic velocity: 1.714Cst; flash point: 45°C; pour point: 93°C; water content: 5.75%. Thus, the values obtained met with the ASTM standard. The percentage yield of oil from the Bitter kola seed is 34% and then the percentage yield from the bitter kola oil to the biodiesel is 62%. This shows that the poor yield of biodiesel from the seed would affect its usage as a Biofuel and this makes it not suitable to be used as a Biofuel. This research has shown that Garcinia kola seeds and oils are not good sources of Biodiesel. Therefore research should be on and going into more cheap and available materials in the production of biodiesel.
- Ogemdi I.K. and Ibraheem A.I. (2018)., Production of Biodiesel and its Physiochemical Properties Produced from Ricinus communis Seeds by Trans-Esterification Process., Journal of Biomaterials, 2(2), 24-30.
- Abayeh O. and Ugah I.A. (2007)., Transesterified Thevitianerifolia seed oil as a biodiesel fuel., Global journal of environmental research, 1(3), 124-127.
- Adebayo S. E., Orhevba B.A., Adeoye P.A., Musa J.J. and Fase O.J. (2012)., Solvent Extraction and Characterization of Oil from African Star Apple (ChrysophyllumAlbidum) Seeds., Academic Research International Journal, 3(2), 178-182.
- Adegoke A.G. (2012)., Characterization, evaluation of sprout suppressant and anti-microbial activities of essential oils on two kolanut (Cola nitida and Cola acuminata) Species., Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology, 3(6), 68-72.
- Adesuyi A.O., Elumm I.K., Adaramola F.B. and Nwokoch A.G.M. (2012)., Nutritional and phytochemical screening of Garcinia kola., Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology, 4(1), 9-14.
- AOCS (1998)., Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists Society-., Champaign, IL.
- Filemon A.U. (2010)., Biofuel from plants oil, National Academy of science technology., Government of Japan, 47-48.
- Freitas S.V., Pratas M.J., Ceriani R., Lima A.S. and Coutinho J.A. (2010)., Evaluation of predictive models for the viscosity of biodiesel., Energy & Fuels, 25(1), 352-358.
- Fukuda H., Kondo A. and Noda H. (2001)., Biodiesel fuel production by transesterification of oils., Journal of bioscience and bioengineering, 92(5), 405-416.
- Igwenyi I.O. (2011)., Potentials of Afzelia Africana vegetable oil in biodiesel production Progress in Renewable Energies., 1, 8-14.
- ASTM international (2002)., Standard test methods for biodiesel (B 100) analysis. Annual book of standards, D 6571., ASTM international west Conshohocken, 734-738.
- Bello E.I. and Agge M. (2012)., Biodiesel Production from Ground Nut Oil., Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences, 3(2), 276-280.
- Report (2009)., Biodiesel handling and user guide., 4th edition, National Renewable Energy Laboratory NREL, 1-13.
- Dah-Nouvlessounon D., Adjanohoun A., Sina H., Noumavo P.A., Diarrasouba N., Parkouda C., Madodé Y.E., Dicko M.H. and Baba-Moussa L. (2015)., Nutritional and Anti-Nutrient Composition of Three Bitter kolas (Cola nitida, Cola acuminata and Garcinia kola) Produced in Benin., Food and Nutrition Sciences, 6, 1395-1407.
- Eze S.O. (2012)., Physico-chemical properties of oil from some selected underutilized oil seeds available for biodiesel preparation., African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(42), 10003-10007.
- Habibullah M., Masjuki H.H., Kalam M.A., Rahman S.A., Mofijur M., Mobarak H.M. and Ashraful A.M. (2015)., Potential of biodiesel as a renewable energy source in Bangladesh., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 50, 819-834.
- Humphrey I., Nsikan I.O. and Michael A. and Chendo C. (2015)., Comparative Studies on Some Edible Oils for Biodiesel Production in Nigeria., British Biotechnology Journal, 5(2), 72-83.
- Jayeola C.O. (2001)., Preliminary studies on the use of kolanuts (cola nitida) for soft drink production., The journal of food technology in Africa, 6(1), 25-26.
- Jimoh A., Abdulkareem A.S., Afolabi A.S., Odigure J.O. and Odili U.C. (2012)., Production and Characterization of Biofuel from Refined Groundnut Oil., Energy Source Journal, 32(1), 200-217.
- Knothe G. (2001)., Analytical methods used in the production and fuel quality assessment of biodiesel., American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 44(2), 193-200.
- Parthiban K.T., Selvan P., Paramathma M., Kanna S.U., Kumar P., Subbulakshmi V. and Vennila S. (2011)., Physico-chemical characterization of seed oil from Jatropha curcas L. genetic resources., Journal of Economic and Natural Environment, 3(5), 163-167.
- Sanford S.D., James M.W., Parag S.S., Claudia W., Marlen A.V. and Glen R.M. (2009)., Feedstock and biodiesel characteristics Report., Renewable energy group Inc., 416 S. Avenue, 11-88.
- Singh S.P. and Singh D. (2010)., Biodiesel production through the use of different sources and characterization of oils and their esters as the substitute of biodiesel: A review., Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 14, 200-216.
- Sivaramakrishnan K. and Ravikumar P. (2012)., Determination of cetane number of biodiesel and its influence on physical properties., ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 7(2), 205-211.
- Van Gerpen J., Shanks B., Pruszko R., Clements D. and Knothe G. (2004)., Biodiesel production technology., National Renewability Energy Laboratory, 1617 Cole Boulevard, Golden, Colorado, 1-41.
- Yadessa G.K. and Jorge M.M. (2017)., Oil extraction from plant seeds for biodiesel production., AIMS Energy Journal, 5(2), 316-340.
- Adesanwo J.K., Ogundele S.B., Akinpelu D.A. and McDonald A.G. (2017)., Chemical Analyses, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant activities of extracts from Cola nitida seed., Journal of exploratory research in pharmacology, 2(3), 67-77.