Natural food grade dye extraction techniques
- 1Food Science and Nutrition Institute, University of Sargodha, Sargodha-401000, Punjab, Pakistan
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 9, Issue (2), Pages 24-27, April,18 (2019)
Natural food grade colors demand is increasing progressively because of consumer awareness as they are eco-friendly as well as have various pharmacological benefits for human health. It is need of the day to develop viable technologies as well as they should be cost effective to extract food grade colors from natural sources especially utilizing waste of organic compounds. The purpose of this review article is purely for consumers and manufacturers to attain knowledge about the extraction techniques either conventional or recent technologies of food colors with respect to natural color application.
- Akogou F.U., Kayodé A.P., den Besten H.M. and Linnemann A.R. (2018)., Extraction methods and food uses of a natural red colorant from dye sorghum., Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 98(1), 361-368.
- Saha P.D. and Sinha K. (2012)., Natural dye from bixa seeds as a potential alternative to synthetic dyes for use in textile industry., Desalination and Water Treatment, 40(1-3), 298-301.
- Saravanan P. and Chandramohan G. (2011)., Dyeing of silk with ecofriendly natural dye obtained from barks of Ficus Religiosa., L. Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology, 1(3), 268-273.
- Goodarzian H. and Ekrami E. (2010)., Wool dyeing with extracted dye from pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) peel., World Applied Sciences Journal, 8(11), 1387-1389.
- Shukla D. and Vankar P.S. (2013)., Natural dyeing with black carrot: new source for newer shades on silk., J Nat Fibers, 10(3), 207-218.
- Sivakumar V., Anna J.L., Vijayeeswarri J. and Swaminathan G. (2009)., Ultrasound assisted enhancement in natural dye extraction from beetroot for industrial applications and natural dyeing of leather., Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 16(6), 782-789.
- Sinha K., Chowdhury S., Saha P.D. and Datta S. (2013)., Modeling of microwave-assisted extraction of natural dye from seeds of Bixa orellana (Annatto) using response surface methodology (RSM) and artificial neural network (ANN)., Industrial Crops and Products, 41, 165-171.
- Devi S., Rathinamala J. and Jayashree S. (2017)., Study on antibacterial activity of natural dye from bark of Araucaria columnaris and its application in textile cotton fabrics., J Microbiol Biotechnol Res., 4(3), 32-35.
- Iriyama K., Ogura N. and Takamiya A. (1974)., A simple method for extraction and partial purification of chlorophyll from plant material, using dioxane., The Journal of Biochemistry, 76(4), 901-904.
- Ashton O.B., Wong M., McGhie T.K., Vather R., Wang Y., Requejo-Jackman C. and Woolf A.B. (2006)., Pigments in avocado tissue and oil., Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 54(26), 10151-10158.
- Lenucci M.S., De Caroli M., Marrese P.P., Iurlaro A., Rescio L., Böhm V. and Piro G. (2015)., Enzyme-aided extraction of lycopene from high-pigment tomato cultivars by supercritical carbon dioxide., Food chemistry, 170, 193-202.
- Barros H.D., Grimaldi R. and Cabral F.A. (2017)., Lycopene-rich avocado oil obtained by simultaneous supercritical extraction from avocado pulp and tomato pomace., The Journal of Supercritical Fluids, 120, 1-6.
- Oberoi D.P.S. and Sogi D.S. (2017)., Utilization of watermelon pulp for lycopene extraction by response surface methodology., Food chemistry, 232, 316-321.
- D'Alessandro L.G., Dimitrov K., Vauchel P. and Nikov I. (2014)., Kinetics of ultrasound assisted extraction of anthocyanins from Aroniamelanocarpa (black chokeberry) wastes., Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 92(10), 1818-1826.
- Diaz J.T., Chinn M.S. and Truong V.D. (2014)., Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of industrial sweetpotatoes for ethanol production and anthocyanins extraction., Industrial crops and products, 62, 53-60.
- Agcam E., Akyıldız A. and Balasubramaniam V.M. (2017)., Optimization of anthocyanins extraction from black carrot pomace with thermosonication., Food chemistry, 237, 461-470.
- Yang F.X., Xu P., Yang J.G., Liang J., Zong M.H. and Lou W.Y. (2016)., Efficient separation and purification of anthocyanins from saskatoon berry by using low transition temperature mixtures., RSC Advances, 6(106), 104582-104590.
- Kim H.J., Wee J.H. and Yang E.J. (2015)., Optimal conditions for anthocyanin extraction from black rice bran and storage stability of anthocyanin extract., Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition, 44(10), 1543-1549.
- Simmonds N.W. (1954)., Anthocyanins in bananas., Annals of Botany, 18(4), 471-482.
- Chaitanya Lakshmi G. (2014)., Food coloring: the natural way., Res J Chem Sci, 2231(8), 606X.
- Aduloju K.A., Shitta M.B. and Justus S. (2011)., Effect of extracting solvents on the stability and performances of dye-sensitized solar cell prepared using extract from Lawsoniainermis., Fundam J Mod Phys, 1(2), 261-268.
- Ixtaina V.Y., Martínez M.L., Spotorno V., Mateo C.M., Maestri D.M., Diehl B.W. and Tomás M.C. (2011)., Characterization of chia seed oils obtained by pressing and solvent extraction., Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 24(2), 166-174.
- Borges M.E., Tejera R.L., Díaz L., Esparza P. and Ibáñez E. (2012)., Natural dyes extraction from cochineal (Dactylopiuscoccus). New extraction methods., Food Chemistry, 132(4), 1855-1860.
- De Camargo A.C., Regitano-d, Gamma-irradiation induced changes in microbiological status, phenolic profile and antioxidant activity of peanut skin., Journal of Functional Foods, 12, 129-143.
- Naidu Madhava M. and Sowbhagya H.B. (2012)., Technological advances in food colours., Chemical Industry Digest, 79-88.
- Chemat F., Rombaut N., Sicaire A.G., Meullemiestre A., Fabiano-Tixier A.S. and Abert-Vian M. (2017)., Ultrasound assisted extraction of food and natural products. Mechanisms, techniques, combinations, protocols and applications. A review., Ultra sonicssono chemistry, 34, 540-560.
- Puri M., Sharma D. and Barrow C.J. (2012)., Enzyme-assisted extraction of bioactives from plants., Trends in biotechnology, 30(1), 37-44.
- Ranveer R.C., Patil S.N. and Sahoo A.K. (2013)., Effect of different parameters on enzyme-assisted extraction of lycopene from tomato processing waste., Food and Bioproducts Processing, 91(4), 370-375.
- Pasquet V., Chérouvrier J.R., Farhat F., Thiéry V., Piot J.M., Bérard J.B. and Picot L. (2011)., Study on the microalgal pigments extraction process: Performance of microwave assisted extraction., Process Biochemistry, 46(1), 59-67.
- Juin C., Chérouvrier J.R., Thiéry V., Gagez A.L., Bérard J.B., Joguet N. and Picot L. (2015)., Microwave-assisted extraction of phycobiliproteins from Porphyridium purpureum., Applied biochemistry and biotechnology, 175(1), 1-15.
- Spence Levitan, Shankar and Zampini (2010)., Themulti-sensory perception of flavor., 23(9), 720-723, www.thepsychologist.org.uk.
- Loypimai P., Moongngarm A., Chottanom P. and Moontree T. (2015)., Ohmic heating-assisted extraction of anthocyanins from black rice bran to prepare a natural food colourant., Innovative food science and Emerging technologies, 27, 102-110.
- Leon C., Rodriguez-Meizoso I., Lucio M., Garcia-Cañas V., Ibañez E., Schmitt-Kopplin P. and Cifuentes A. (2009)., Metabolomics of transgenic maize combining Fourier transform-ion cyclotron resonance-mass spectrometry, capillary electrophoresis-mass spectrometry and pressurized liquid extraction., Journal of Chromatography A, 1216(43), 7314-7323.
- Djenni Z., Pingret D., Mason T.J. and Chemat F. (2013)., Sono-Soxhlet: In situ ultrasound-assisted extraction of food products., Food analytical methods, 6(4), 1229-1233.