Analysis of some heavy metals in Guiera senegalensis plants from the vicinity of a Kaolin milling plant in Alkaleri Bauchi State, Nigeria using Neutron Activation Analysis (NAA)
- 1Department of Chemistry, Gombe State University, Gombe, Nigeria
- 2Department of Chemistry, Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria
- 3Department of Chemistry, Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria
- 4Department of Chemistry, Gombe State University, Gombe, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 8, Issue (1), Pages 1-10, January,18 (2018)
This study was conducted to determine the concentration of heavy metals in samples of Guierasenegalensis from the vicinity of a Kaolin milling plant in Alkaleri Bauchi State. A total of twelve samples were collected at different sampling points within the vicinity of the Kaolin milling plant. 11 elements were analyzed using Neutron Activation Analysis (NAA). The concentrations of elements arein the range of 0.15 ± 0.03-2.60 ± 0.04mg/Kg for Co, 53.0 ± 18.55 - 343.5 ± 7.56mg/Kg for Fe 334.8 ± 1.67 - 1708 ± 102.5mg/Kg for Mn 11.01 ± 2.3 - 43.15 ± 2.9mg/Kg for Zn 2.49 ± 0.09 - 9.04±3.16mg/Kg for Cu 0.14 ± 0.01 - 2.46±0.05mg/Kg for As 0.49 ± 0.17 - 6.69 ± 1.31mg/Kg for V 0.011±0.00 - 0.031±0.00 for Cr 0.003 ± 0.001 - 0.37±0.015 mg/Kg for Sb 0.0065 ± 0.002 - 0.017 ± 0.004mg/Kg for Cd and 13.6 ± 4.76 - 103±26mg/Kg for Ba. The levels of the elements determined are in the order Mn>Fe>Ba>Zn>Cu>V>Co>As>Sb>Cr>Cd. Most of the elements are present in most samples but some were however below the detection limit of the instrument in very few samples. The mean concentration of the elements at different direction showed no significant difference except for Cr (P<0.05).
- Sharma P.D. (2010)., Environmental Biology and Toxicology., 2nd Edition.Rakesh Kumar Rastogi for Rastogi Publication ‘Gangotri’ Shivaji road meerut New Delhi India. 58b.
- European Commission (2000)., Ambient air Pollution by As, Cd and Ni compounds Position paper., Final Version European Commission DG Environment, 107 &145.
- Nagajyoti P.C., Lee K.D. and Sreekanth T.V.M. (2010)., Heavy metals, occurrence and toxicity for plants: a review., Environmental Chemistry Letters, 8(3), 199-216.
- Ekmekyapar F., Sabudak T. and Seren G. (2012)., Assessment of heavy metal contamination in soil and wheat (Triticumaestivum L.) plant around the Corlu-Cerkezkoy highway in Thrace region., Global Nest Journal 14(4), 496-504.
- Bako S.P., Ezealor A.U and Tanimu Y. (2014)., Heavy Metal Deposition in Soils and Plants Impacted by Anthropogenic Modification of Two Sites in the SudanSavanna of North Western Nigeria., Environmental Risk Assessment of Soil Contamination, Intech, 697-721.
- Wintz H., Fox T. and Vulpe C. (2002)., Responses of plants to iron, zinc and copper deficiencies., Biochem Soc Trans, 30, 766-768.
- Reeves R.D. and Baker A.J. (2000)., Metal accumulating plants., Phytoremediation of toxic metals using plants to clean up the environment, Raskin I, Ensley BD (eds.) John Wiley & Sons Inc, New York., 193-229.
- Monni S., Salemma M. and Millar N. (2000)., The tolerance of Empetrum nigrum to copper and nickel., Environ Pollut, 109(2), 221-229.
- Ratha D.S. and Sahu B.K. (1993)., Sources and distribution of metals in urban soil of Bombay, India, using multivariate statistical technique., Environmental Geology, 22(3), 276-285.
- Bonglaisin J.N., Mbofong C.M.F. and Lantum D.N. (2011)., Intake of Lead, Cadmium and Mercury in Kaolin-eating: A Quality Assessment., J. Med. Sci., 11(7), 226-273.
- Cygan R.T. and Tazaki K. (2014)., Interaction of Kaolin Minerals in the Environment., Elements, 10(3), 195-200.
- Gamiz E., Cabellero E., Rodriguez M.D. and Flores R.D.C. (1988)., Characterization of Spanish Kaolin for Pharmaceutical use. I. Chemical and Mineralogical composition, physico-chemical properties., Boll.Chim. Farm, 127, 114-121.
- Sule M.S. and Mohammed S.Y. (2006)., Toxicological studies on the leaves of Guiera senegalensisand Psidium guajava in rats., Biol. Environ. Sci. J. Trop., 3(1), 81-83.
- Mohammed S.Y. (2013)., Quantitative phytochemical and elemental analysis of Guierasenegalensisleaf extract., Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotheraphy, 5(12), 204-207.
- Jonah S.A., Umar I.M., Oladipo M.O.A., Balogun G.I. and Adeyemo D.J. (2006)., Standardization of NIRR-1 irradiation and counting facilities for Instrumental Neutron Activation Analysis., Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 64 818-822.
- Oladipoa M.O.A., Njingab R.L., Achid S.S., Ogunleyea P. O., Alfab B. and Ibrahimc A.A. (2012)., Analysis of savannah and rainforest soils of Nigeria using thermal neutron activation analysis technique., International Journal of Science and Technology, 2(8), 583-589.
- Kogo B.E., Gajere E.N., Ogunmola J.K. and Ogbole J.O. (2009)., Neutron Activation Analysis of Soil Samples from Different Parts of Abuja Metropolis., Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 4(4), 254-262.
- Li H.F., Gray C., Mico C., Zhao F.J. and McGrath S.P. (2009)., Phytotoxicity and bioavailability of cobalt to plants in a range of soils., Chemosphere, 75(7), 979-986.
- Misra S.G. and Mani D. (1991)., Soil pollution., Ashish Publishing House, Punjabi Bagh.
- Millaleo R., Reyes-Díaz M., Ivanov A.G., Mora M.L. and Alberdi M. (2010)., Manganese as essential and toxic element for plants: transport, accumulation and resistance mechanisms., Journal of soil science and plant nutrition, 10(4), 470-481.
- Wyszkowska J., Borowik A., Kucharski M. and Kucharski J. (2013)., Effect of cadmium, copper and zinc on plants, soil microorganisms and soil enzymes., Journal of Elementology, 18(4), 769-796.
- Sekler I., Sensi S.L., Hershfinkel M. and Silverman W.F. (2007)., Mechanism and regulation of cellular zinc transport., Mol. Med., 13, 337-343.
- Thomas J.C., Malick F.K., Endreszl C., Davies E.C. and Murray K.S. (1998)., Distinct responses to copper stress in the halophyte Mesembryanthemum crystallinum., Physiologia Plantarum, 102(3), 360-368.
- Demirevska-Kepova K., Simova-Stoilova L., Stoyanova Z., Hölzer R. and Feller U. (2004)., Biochemical changes in barley plants after excessive supply of copper and manganese., Environmental and Experimental Botany, 52(3), 253-266.
- Lewis S., Donkin M.E. and Depledge M.H. (2001)., Hsp70 expression in Enteromorpha intestinalis (Chlorophyta) exposed to environmental stressors., Aquatic Toxicology, 51(3), 277-291.
- Singh Sushant K. and Ghosh A.K. (2010)., Effect of Arsenic on Photosynthesis, Growth and its Accumulation in the Tissues of Allium cepa (Onion)., International Journal of Environmental Engineering and Management, 1(1).
- Wang C.F., Chang C.Y., Chin C.J. and Men L.C. (1999)., Determination of arsenic and vanadium in airborne related reference materials by inductively coupled plasmamass spectrometry., AnalyticaChimicaActa., 392(2-3), 299-306.
- Vachirapatama N., Jirakiattiku Y., Dicinoski G.W., Townsend A.T. and Haddad P.R. (2011)., Effect of vanadium on plant growth and its accumulation in plant tissues., Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology, 33(3), 255-261.
- Fenga R., Weib C., Tuc S., Dinga Y., Wanga R. and Guoa J. (2013)., The uptake and detoxification of antimony by plants: A review., Environmental and Experimental Botany, 96, 28-34.
- Kabata-Pendias A. (2010)., Trace elements in soils and plants., CRC press.
- Benavide M.P., Gallego S.M. and Tomaro M.L. (2005)., Cadmium toxicity in Plants., Braz. J. plant physiol, 17(1), 21-34.
- Moreno J.L., Hernández T. and Garcia C. (1999)., Effects of a cadmium-contaminated sewage sludge compost on dynamics of organic matter and microbial activity in an arid soil., Biology and fertility of soils, 28(3), 230-237.
- SLERA (2004)., Screening-Levels Ecological Risk Assesment.,
- Yamamoto F. and Kozlowski T.T. (1987)., Effects of flooding, tilting of stems, and ethrel application on growth, stem anatomy, and ethylene production of Acer platanoides seedlings., Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research, 2(1-4), 141-156.