A comparative study of the coordination behavior of (Z)-4-[(2-(4,8-dimethylquinolin-2-yl)hydrazono) methyl] benzene-1,3-diol towards copper(II), nickel(II) and cobalt(II)-chlorides
- 1Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Roxy, Cairo, Egypt
- 2Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Roxy, Cairo, Egypt
- 3Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Roxy, Cairo, Egypt
- 4Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Roxy, Cairo, Egypt
- 5Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Roxy, Cairo, Egypt
- 6Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Education, Ain Shams University, Roxy, Cairo, Egypt
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (7), Pages 1-5, July,18 (2017)
The reaction of the titled hydrazone with Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II)- chlorides in absence and presence of KOH afforded mononuclear and binuclear complexes. The binuclear complexes support either enhancement of the phenoxy bridging or change of the coordination behavior of the studied hydrazone. Most complexes have the preferable Oh geometry (1-4), whereas complexes 5 and 6 have Td and square pyramid arrangements. As is evidenced from its µeff value = 3.98 BM, complex 5 acquires a tetrahedral arrangement around the Ni(II)- ion. The hydrazone ligand has a reformed character i.e. it changes its coordination behavior towards the transition metal ions as a result of the basicity of the reaction medium. In absence of KOH, the Cu(II) and Ni(II)- complexes revealed their higher affinity for NN- donors and the ligand behaves as a neutral species. Extensive spectroscopic and analytical studies were done to support the suggested structures of the complexes.
- Finar I.L. (1975)., Organic Chemistry., 6th ed, Hong Kong, The Continental Printing Co. Ltd..
- Seleem H.S., Mostafa M., Stefan S.L. and Abdel-Aziz E. (2011)., Structural Diversity of 3d Complexes of an Isatinic Quinolyl Hydrazone., Res.J.Chem. Sci., 1(5), 67-72.
- Gupta L.K., Bansal U. and Chandra S. (2007)., Spectroscopic and physicochemical studies on nickel(II) complexes of isatin-3,2′-quinolyl-hydrazones and their adducts., Spectrochim. Acta (A), 66(4), 972-975.
- Angelusiu M.V., Barbuceanu S.F., Draghici C. and Almajan G.L. (2010)., New Cu(II), Co(II), Ni(II) complexes with aroyl-hydrazone based ligand. Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and in vitro antibacterial evaluation., Eur. J. Med. Chem., 45(5), 2055-2062.
- Bhaskar R., Salunkhe N., Yaul A. and Aswar A. (2015)., Bivalent transition metal complexes of ONO donor hydrazone ligand: Synthesis, structural characterization and antimicrobial activity., Spectrochim. Acta (A), 151(5), 621-627.
- El-Gammal O.A. (2015)., Mononuclear and binuclear complexes derived from hydrazone Schiff base NON donor ligand: Synthesis, structure, theoretical and biological studies., Inorg. Chim. Acta, 435, 73-81.
- Shebl M. and Khalil S.M.E. (2015)., Synthesis, spectral, X-ray diffraction, antimicrobial studies, and DNA binding properties of binary and ternary complexes of pentadentate N2O3 carbohydrazone ligands., Monatsh Chem., 146, 15-33.
- Raja D.S., Ramachandran E., Bhuvanesh N.S.P. and Natarajan K. (2013)., Synthesis, structure and in vitro pharmacological evaluation of a novel 2-oxo-1,2-dihydroquinoline-3-carbaldehyde (2′-methylbenzoyl) hydrazone bridged copper(II) coordination polymer., Eur. J. Med. Chem., 64, 148-159.
- Seleem H.S., El-Inany G.A., El-Shetary B.A. and Mousa M. (2011)., The ligational behavior of a phenolic quinolyl hydrazone towards copper(II)- ions., Chemistry Central Journal, 5, 2.
- Seleem H.S. and Mousa M. (2011)., Ligand substitution reactions of a phenolic quinolyl hydrazone; oxidovanadium (IV)complexes., Chemistry Central Journal, 5, 47.
- Ghosh T., Bhattacharya Sh., Das A., Mukherjee G. and Drew M. (2005)., Synthesis, structure and solution chemistry of mixed-ligand oxovanadium(IV) and oxovanadium(V) complexes incorporating tridentate ONO donor hydrazone ligands., Inorg. Chim. Acta, 358(4), 989-996.
- Shebl M. (2009)., Synthesis, spectral studies, and antimicrobial activity of binary and ternary Cu(II), Ni(II), and Fe(III) complexes of new hexadentate Schiff bases derived from 4, 6-diacetylresorcinol and amino acids., J. Coord. Chem., 62(19), 3217-3231.
- Cotton F.A. and Wilkins G. (1980)., Advanced Inorganic Chemistry., 4th Ed. John-Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Emara A.A., Seleem H.S. and Madyan A.M. (2009)., Synthesis, spectroscopic investigations and biological activity of metal complexes of N-benzoylthiosemicarbazide., J. Coord. Chem., 62(15), 2569-2528.
- Shebl M. (2017)., Coordination behavior of new bis (tridentate ONO, ONS and ONN) donor hydrazones towards some transition metal ions: Synthesis, spectral, thermal, antimicrobial and antitumor studies., J. Mol. Str., 1128, 79-93.
- El-Ayaan U. and Gabr I.M. (2007)., Thermal, spectroscopic, and solvent influence studies on mixed- ligand copper(II) complexes containing the bulky ligand: Bis[N-(p tolyl)imino] acenaphthene., Spectrochim. Acta (A), 67(1), 263-272.
- Chen Z., Wu Y., Gu D. and Gan F. (2008)., Nickel(II) and copper(II) complexes containing 2-(2-(5-substitued isoxazol-3-yl) hydrazono)-5,5-dimethylcyclohexane-1,3-dione ligands: Synthesis, spectral and thermal characterizations., Dyes and Pigments, 76(3), 624-631.
- El-Asmy A.A., Al-Gammal O.A., Saad D.A. and Ghazy S. E. (2009)., Synthesis, characterization, molecular modeling and eukaryotic DNA degradation of 1-(3,4-dihydroxybenzylidene) thiosemicarbazide complexes., J. Mol. Str., 934(1-3), 9-22.