Spectrophotometric method vs ion selective electrode for field determination of fluoride in water and complex samples
- 1Govt. Naveen College, Bori, Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 2Bhilai Institute of Technology, Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
- 3Bhilai Institute of Technology, Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (5), Pages 31-37, May,18 (2017)
Spectrophotometric method based on the bleaching effect of fluoride ions on the dark red zirconium dye lake was used for determination of fluoride in water samples in field conditions and results obtained were compared with the results of potentiometric ion selective electrode method. It was found that results of spectrophotometric method were very close to those of potentiometric method. Therefore spectrophotometric method can be used for field determination of fluoride with an error limit of ±0.1 mg/l. Spectrophotometric method was also used to determine fluoride concentration in complex samples such as toothpastes and mouthwashes and the result obtained was in good agreement with that obtained from potentiometric method. Study also confirmed that higher concentration of chloride ion in water samples does not affect fluoride determination by this method. Spectrophotometric method is easy to operate and less expensive than potentiometric ion selective method, hence more suitable for field determination of fluoride in samples.
- Singh R. and Maheshwari R.C. (2001)., Defluoridation of drinking water–a review., Ind. J. Environ. Protec., 21(11), 983-991.
- Matthess G. (1982)., The Properties of Groundwater., John Wiley & Sons, New York, ISBN 10: 0471085138 / 0-471-08513-8.
- Pickering W.F. (1985)., The Mobility of Soluble Fluoride in Soils., Environ. Pollution, 9(4), 281-308.
- Haidouti C. (1991)., Fluoride Distribution in Soils in the Vicinity of a Point Emission Source in Greece., Geoderma, 49(1-2),129-138.
- Datta P.S., Deb D.L. and Tyagi S.K. (1996)., Stable Isotope (180) Investigations on the Processes Controlling Fluoride Contamination of Groundwater., Journal of Contminant Hydrology, 24(1), 85-96.
- Kundu N., Panigrahi M.K., Tripathy S., Munshi S., Powell M.A. and Hart B.R. (2001)., Geochemical Appraisal of Fluoride Contamination of Groundwater in the Nayagarh District of Orissa, India., Environmental Geology, 41(3), 451-460.
- Dhiman S.D. and Keshari A.K. (2006)., Hydrogeochemical Evaluation of High-Fluoride Ground Waters: A Case Study from Mehsana District, Gujarat, India., Hydrological Sciences Journal, 51(6), 1149-1162.
- Mohapatra M., Anand S., Mishra B.K., Giles D.E. and Singh P. (2009)., Review of Fluoride Removal from Drinking Water., Journal of Environmental Management, 91(1), 67-77.
- Mody Manan, Chaudhari Prashant L. and Attar S.J. (2010)., Influence of other Contaminants on Removal of Fluoride from Ground Water by Adsorption., National Conference on Recent Advances in Chemical Engineering. Jalgaon. 10-16.
- Sai Sathish R., Ranjit B., Ganesh K.M., Nageswara Rao G. and Janardhana C. (2008)., A Quantitative Study on the Chemical Composition of Renal Stones and their Fluoride Content from Anantapur District, Andhra Pradesh, India., Current Science, 94(1), 104-109.
- Jolly S.S., Singh B.M., Mathur O.C. and Malhotra K.C. (1968)., An Epidemiological, Clinical and Biochemical Study of Endemic Dental and Skeletal Fluorosis in Punjab., Br Med J, 4(5628), 427-429.
- Meenakshi Garg V.K., Kavita, Renuka and Malik A. (2004)., Ground Water Quality in Some Villages in Haryana, India: Focus on Fluoride and Fluorosis., Journal of Hazardous Material, 106(1), 85-97.
- Muralidharan D., Nair A.P. and Sathyanarayana U. (2002)., Fluoride in Shallow Aquifers in Rajgarh Tehsil of Churu District Rajasthan—An Arid Environment., Current Science, 83(6), 699-702.
- Sharma B.S., Agrawal Jyoti and Gupta Anil K. (2011)., Emerging Challenge: Fluoride Contamination in Groundwater in Agra District, Uttar Pradesh., Asian Journal of Experimental Biological Sciences, 2(1), 131-134.
- Beg M.K., Srivastav S.K., Carranza E.J.M. and de Smeth J.B. (2011)., High Fluoride Incidence in Groundwater and Its Potential Health Effects in Parts of Raigarh District, Chhattisgarh, India., Current Science, 100(5), 750-754.
- Ambade B. and Rao C.M. (2012)., Assessment of Ground Water Quality with a Special Emphasis on Ground Water Contamination in Rajnandgaon District in Chhattisgarh State in Central India., International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 3(2), 851-858.
- Upadhyay M. (2012)., Depleting Ground Water Levels and Increasing Fluoride Concentration in Villages of Surajpur District, Chhattisgarh, India: Cost to Economy and Health., IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry, 1(5), 15-22.
- Kahama R.W., Damen J.J. and Cate J.M. (1997)., Enzymatic release of sequestered cows, Analyst., 122(8), 855-858.
- Gutsche B., Kleinoeder H. and Herrmann R. (1975)., Device for trace analysis for fluorine in reaction tubes by atomic-absorption spectroscopy., Analyst, 100(1188), 192-197.
- Jones P. (1992)., Development of a high-sensitivity ion chromatography method for the determination of trace fluoride in water utilizing the formation of the AlF2+ species., Anal. Chim. Acta, 258, 123-127.
- Villa A.E. (1988)., Rapid method for determining very low fluoride concentrations using an ion-selective electrode., Analyst, 113(8), 1299-1303.
- Walsh T., Worthington H.V., Glenny A.M., Appelbe P., Marinho V.C. and Shi X. (2010)., Fluoride toothpastes of different concentrations for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents., Cochrane Database Syst Rev., 1: CD007868.
- Sebastian Shibu Thomas and Siddanna Sunitha (2015)., Total and Free Fluoride Concentration in Various Brands of Toothpaste Marketed in India., Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 9(10), 09-12.
- Teki Kesavarao and Bhat Ramachandra (2012)., Composition Analysis of the Oral Care products available in Indian Market Part I: Mouthwashes., International Journal of Advanced Research in Pharmaceutical & Biosciences, 2(3), 338-347
- Gitte S.V. (2013)., Community based fluorosis survey of village Beloda, District Balod, Chhattisgarh State.,
- Hach Co: DR 100 Colorimeter Manual. Loveland, Colorado, 1983, 3-21., undefined, undefined
- American Public Health Assn (1973), American Water Works Assn, and Water Pollution Control Federation, 1985., Standard Methodsf or the Evaluation of Water and Wastewater, 16th ed. Washington, DC; American Public Health Assn, I985, 352-61.
- Manivasakam N. (1996)., Physico-chemical Examination of Water, Sewage and Industrial Effluents., 3rd Edn. Pragati Prakashan, Coimbatore.
- Bellack E. (1972)., Methods and materials for fluoride analysis., J AmWater Works Assoc, 64, 62-66.
- Brossok Gall E., McTigue Dennis J. and Kuthy Raymond A. (1987)., The use of a colorimeter in analyzing the fluoride content of public well water., The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 9(3), 204-207.