Gold nanoparticles encapsulated alginate microspheres as an adsorbent for the separation of the dye safranin orange from the aqueous solutions through batch method
- 1Research Centre, Department of Chemistry, Govt. V.Y.T. PG Autonomous College, Durg- 491001, C.G., India
- 2Research Centre, Department of Chemistry, Govt. V.Y.T. PG Autonomous College, Durg- 491001, C.G., India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (4), Pages 1-7, April,18 (2017)
Gold nanoparticles encapsulated alginate microspheres were synthesized and evaluated as a nanoadsorbent for removing Safranin Orange from aqueous solutions. Gold nanoparticles were prepared and characterized by X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) and FT-IR. The adsorption of Safranin Orange was examined by batch technique. The effects of pH, initial Safranin Orange concentration, adsorbent dosage and contact time on the efficiency of Safranin Orange removal were studied for the batch method. The equilibrium data analyzed by using Langmuir and Freundlich isotherm models showed better agreement with the latter model. Kinetic studies were conducted and the resulting data were analyzed using first- and second-order equations; pseudo-second-order kinetic equation was found to provide the best correlation. Repeated adsorption and desorption cycles were performed to examine the stability and reusability of the nanoadsorbent. The result of this study proved high stability and reusability of Gold nanoparticles encapsulated alginate microspheres as an adsorbent for Safranin Orange dye.
- Kiran I., Akar T., Ozcan A.S., Ozcan A. and Tunali S. (2006)., Biosorption kinetics and isotherm studies of Acid Red 57 by dried Cephalosporium aphidicola cells from aqueous solutions., Biochemical Engineering Journal, 31(3), 197-203.
- Vijayaraghavan K. and Yun Y.S. (2008)., Biosorption of C.I. Reactive Black 5 from aqueous solution using acid-treated biomass of brown seaweed Laminaria sp., Dyes and Pigments, 76(3), 726-732.
- Mahony T.O., Guibal E. and Tobin J.M. (2002)., Reactive dye biosorption by Rhizopus arrhizus biomass., Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 31(4), 456-463.
- Ozcan A.S. and Ozcan A. (2004)., Adsorption of acid dyes from aqueous solutions onto acid-activated bentonite., Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 276(1), 39-46.
- Shokry Hassan H., Elkady M.F., El-Shazly A.H. and Bamufleh Hisham S. (2014)., Formulation of Synthesized Zinc Oxide Nanopowder into Hybrid Beads for Dye Separation., Journal of Nanomaterials, Article ID 967492, 1-14.
- McMullan G., Meehan C., Conneely A., Kirby N., Robinson T., Nigam P., Banat I.M., Marchant R. and Smyth W.F. (2001)., Microbial decolourisation and degradation of textile dyes, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 56(1), 81-87.
- Pearce C.I., Lloyd J.R. and Guthrie J.T. (2003)., The removal of colour from textile wastewater using whole bacterial cells: a review., Dyes and Pigments, 58(3), 179-196.
- Ozmen E.Y., Sezgin M., Yilmaz A. and Yilmaz M. (2008)., Synthesis of β-cyclodextrin and starch based polymers for sorption of azo dyes from aqueous solutions., Bioresour. Technol., 99(3), 526-531.
- Christie R. (2001)., Colour Chemistry., The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Shrivastava V.S. (2010)., Metallic and organic nanomaterials and their use in pollution control: A Review., Arch. Appl. Sci. Res, 2(6), 82-92.
- Ncibi M.C., Mahjoub B. and Seffen M. (2007)., Kinetic and equilibrium studies of methylene blue biosorption by Posidonia oceanica (L.) fibres., Journal of Hazardous Materials, 139(2), 280-285.
- Robinson T., Chandran B. and Nigam P. (2002)., Removal of dyes from a synthetic textile dye effluent by biosorption on apple pomace and wheat straw., Water Research, 36(11), 2824-2830.
- Inbaraj B.S., Wang J.S., Lu J.F., Siao F.Y. and Chen B.H. (2009)., Adsorption of toxic mercury (II) by an extracellular biopolymer poly(𝛾-glutamic acid)., Bioresource Technology, 100(1), 200-207.
- McKay G. (1983)., The adsorption of dyestuffs from aqueous solution using activated carbon: analytical solution for batch adsorption based on external mass transfer and., The Chemical Engineering Journal, 27(3), 187-196.
- McKay G. (1984)., Analytical solution using a pore diffusion model for a pseudo irreversible isotherm for the adsorption of basic dye on silica., AIChE Journal, 30(4), 692-697.
- Mak S.Y. and Chen D.H. (2004)., Fast adsorption of methylene blue on polyacrylic acid-bound iron oxide magnetic nanoparticles., Dyes and Pigments, 61(1), 93-98.
- Prachi Pranjali Gautam, Madathil Deepa and Nair A.N. Brijesh (2013)., Nanotechnology in Waste Water Treatment: A Review., International Journal of ChemTech Research, 5(5), 2303-2308.
- Alkilany Alaaldin m. and Murphy Catherine J. (2010)., Toxicity and cellular uptake of gold nanoparticles: what we have learned so far?., Journal of nanoparticle research, 12(7), 2313-2333.
- Park S., Lee J.C., Lee D.W. and Lee J.H. (2003)., Photocatalytic ZnO nanopowders prepared by solution combustion method for noble metal recovery., Journal of Materials Science, 38(22), 4493-4497.
- Marinkovi´c Z.V., Miloˇsevi´c O., Nikoli´c M.V., Kakazey M.G., Karpec M.V., Tomila T.V. and Ristić M.M. (2004)., Evolution of the microstructure of disperse ZnO powders obtained by the freeze-drying method., Materials Science and Engineering A, 375-377(1-2), 620-624.
- Li H., Wang J., Liu H., Zhang H. and Li X. (2005)., Zinc oxide films prepared by sol-gel method., Journal of Crystal Growth, 275(1-2), e943-e946.
- Kaur R., Singh A., Sehrawat K., Mehra N. and Mehra R. (2006)., Sol gel derived yttrium doped ZnO nanostructures., Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 352(23-25), 2565-2568.
- Varshney K.G. and Pandith A.H. (2001)., Synthesis and ion exchange behavior of acrylonitrile-based zirconium phosphate—a new hybrid cation exchanger., Journal of the Indian Chemical Society, 78(5), 250-253.
- Khan A.A., Khan A. and Inamuddin (2007)., Preparation and characterization of a new organic-inorganic nano-composite poly-o-toluidine Th (IV) phosphate: its analytical applications as cation-exchanger and in making ion-selective electrode., Talanta, 72(2), 699-710.
- Nilchi A., Atashi H., Javid A.H., and Saberi R. (2007), Preparations of PAN-based adsorbers for separation of cesium and cobalt from radioactive wastes., Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 65(5), 482-487.
- Liu Y., Liang P. and Guo L. (2005)., Nanometer titanium dioxide immobilized on silica gel as sorbent for preconcentration of metal ions prior to their determination by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectrometry., Talanta, 68(1), 25-30.
- Bajpai A.K., Rajput M. and Mishra D.D. (2000)., Studies on the correlation between structure and adsorption of sulfonamide compounds., Colloid Surfaces A: Physico. Chem. Eng. Aspect, 168(3), 193-195.