Rheological studies on moringa leaves (Moringa Oleifera) purees
- 1Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Raipur-492010, Chhattisgarh, India
- 2Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Raipur-492010, Chhattisgarh, India
- 3Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Raipur-492010, Chhattisgarh, India
- 4Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Raipur-492010, Chhattisgarh, India
- 5Department of Chemical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Raipur-492010, Chhattisgarh, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (3), Pages 10-18, March,18 (2017)
During thermal handling of food items, it is more important to control the temperature history and resistance properties of the food. Commercial sterilization of the food is accomplished by putting the food items within the container and warm it. By the mechanism of heat transfer, the heat infiltration is obtained between food material and container. However, heat transfer through convection mechanism is uncommon in green leafy vegetables because of their non-Newtonian behavior. So a study on rheological properties as a function temperature and solid concentration of the puree is very important for design and development of the instrument. In our present research, rheological properties of the moringa puree as a function of temperature and frequency is done. Frequency sweep test was performed at 313K for both blanched and unblanched moringa puree. For both blanched and unblanched puree, the elastic modulus (G’) and viscous modulus (G”) shows an increasing trend with an increasing frequency and temperature. However, purees discovered higher values of G’ as compared to G”, which conclude that purees are showing weak gel behavior. Different rheological models are tried for its rheological properties, however Ostwald model fitted well. A non-Newtonian behavior with a decrease in viscosity and increase in shear rate was seen in this puree. And shear thinning behavior of purees is confirmed by plotting a graph between the shear rate and shear stress and it shows flow behavior index value (n)<1. Different Plot was drawn between shear rate and a viscosity at different solid concentration and temperature of purees. This data is helpful in design and development of thermal processing unit and for increasing the shelf life of the purees, which could use for our food-processing sector.
- Fahey J.W. (2005)., Moringa oleifera: a review of the medical evidence for its nutritional, therapeutic, and prophylactic properties. Part 1., Trees for life Journal, 1(5), 1-15.
- Anwar F., Latif S., Ashraf M. and Gilani A.H. (2007)., Moringa oleifera: a food plant with multiple medicinal uses., Phytotherapy research, 21(1), 17-25.
- Hekmat S., Morgan K., Soltani M. and Gough R. (2015)., Sensory evaluation of locally-grown fruit purees and inulin fibre on probiotic yogurt in mwanza, Tanzania and the microbial analysis of probiotic yogurt fortified with Moringa oleifera., Journal of health, population, and nutrition, 33(1), 60-67.
- Moyo B., Masika P.J., Hugo A. and Muchenje V. (2011)., Nutritional characterization of Moringa (Moringa oleifera Lam.) leaves., African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(60), 12925-12933.
- Saini R.K., Prashanth K.H., Shetty N.P. and Giridhar P. (2014)., Elicitors, SA and MJ enhance carotenoids and tocopherol biosynthesis and expression of antioxidant related genes in Moringa oleifera Lam. leaves., Acta physiologiae plantarum, 36(10), 2695-2704.
- Saini R.K., Manoj P., Shetty N.P., Srinivasan K. and Giridhar P. (2014)., Dietary iron supplements and Moringa oleifera leaves influence the liver hepcidin messenger RNA expression and biochemical indices of iron status in rats., Nutrition Research, 34(7), 630-638.
- Yang R.Y., Chang L.C., Hsu J.C., Weng B.B., Palada M.C., Chadha M.L. and Levasseur V. (2006)., Nutritional and functional properties of Moringa leaves–From germplasm, to plant, to food, to health., Moringa leaves: Strategies, standards and markets for a better impact on nutrition in Africa. Moringanews, CDE, CTA, GFU. Paris.
- Babayeju A., Gbadebo C., Obalowu M., Otunola G., Nmom I., Kayode R. and Ojo F. (2014)., Comparison of Organoleptic properties of egusi and efo riro soup blends produced with moringa and spinach leaves., Food Sci. Qual. Manag, 28, 15-18.
- Erge H.S., Karadeniz F., Koca N. and Soyer Y. (2008)., Effect of heat treatment on chlorophyll degradation and color loss in green peas., Gida, 33(5), 225-233.
- Watson E.L. (1968)., Rheological behavior of apricot purees and concentrates., Can. Agr. Eng, 10(1), 8-11.
- Sato A.C.K. and Cunha R.L. (2009)., Effect of particle size on rheological properties of jaboticaba pulp., Journal of Food Engineering, 91(4), 566-570.
- Holdsworth S.D. (1971)., Applicability of rheological models to the interpretation of flow and processing behaviour of fluid food products., Journal of Texture Studies, 2(4), 393-418.
- Vitali A.A. and Rao M.A. (1984)., Flow Properties of Low Pulp Concentrated Orange Juice: Serum Viscosity and Effect of Pulp Content., Journal of Food Science, 49(3), 876-881.
- Tanglertpaibul T. and Rao M.A. (1987)., Rheological properties of tomato concentrates as affected by particle size and methods of concentration., Journal of Food Science, 52(1), 141-145.
- Ahmed J., Shivhare U.S. and Raghavan G.S.V. (2000)., Rheological characteristics and kinetics of colour degradation of green chilli puree., Journal of food engineering, 44(4), 239-244.
- Ahmed J., Shivhare U.S. and Singh G.D. (2000)., Chlorophyll and color of green chilli puree as affected by mesh size and temperature., International Journal of Food Properties, 3(2), 305-315.
- Rao M.A. (1977)., Rheology of liquid foods: a review., Journal of Texture Studies, 8(2), 135-168.
- Colin-Henrion M., Cuvelier G. and Renard C.M.G.C. (2007)., Texture of pureed fruit and vegetable foods., Stewart Postharvest Review, 3(5), 1-14.
- Ahmed J. and Ramaswamy H.S. (2006)., Viscoelastic properties of sweet potato puree infant food., Journal of Food Engineering, 74(3), 376-382.
- Choppe E., Puaud F., Nicolai T. and Benyahia L. (2010)., Rheology of xanthan solutions as a function of temperature, concentration and ionic strength., Carbohydrate Polymers, 82(4), 1228-1235.
- Alvarez E., Cancela M.A., Delgado-Bastidas N. and Maceiras R. (2008)., Rheological characterization of commercial baby fruit purees., International Journal of Food Properties, 11(2), 321-329.
- Espinosa L., To N., Symoneaux R., Renard C.M., Biau N. and Cuvelier G. (2011)., Effect of processing on rheological, structural and sensory properties of apple puree., Procedia Food Science, 1, 513-520.
- Steffe J.F. (1996)., Rheological methods in food process engineering., Freeman press.
- Lad V.N. and Murthy Z.V.P. (2013)., Rheology of Aloe barbadensis Miller: a naturally available material of high therapeutic and nutrient value for food applications., Journal of Food Engineering, 115(3), 279-284.
- Rangaswami G., Kandaswami T.K. and Ramasamy K. (1975)., Pleurotus sajor-caju (Fr.) Singer, a protein rich nitrogen fixing mushroom fungus., Current science.
- Abdalla M.M. (2013)., The potential of Moringa oleifera extract as a biostimulant in enhancing the growth, biochemical and hormonal contents in rocket (Eruca vesicaria subsp. sativa) plants., International Journal of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 5(3), 42-49.
- Owusu D., Ellis W.O. and Oduro I. (2008)., Nutritional potential of two leafy vegetables: Moringa oleifera and Ipomoea batatas leaves., Scientific Research and Essay, 3(2), 57-60.
- Ajibola C.F., Oyerinde V.O. and Adeniyan O.S. (2015)., Physicochemical and antioxidant properties of whole-wheat biscuits incorporated with Moringa oleifera leaves and cocoa powder., Journal of Scientific Research & Reports, 7(3), 195-206.
- Gundurao A., Ramaswamy H.S. and Ahmed J. (2011)., Effect of soluble solids concentration and temperature on thermo-physical and rheological properties of mango puree., International Journal of Food Properties, 14(5), 1018-1036.
- Opazo-Navarrete M., Tabilo-Munizaga G., Vega-Gálvez A., Miranda M. and Pérez-Won M. (2012)., Effects of high hydrostatic pressure (HHP) on the rheological properties of Aloe vera suspensions (Aloe barbadensis Miller)., Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 16, 243-250.
- Ahmed J., Al-Salman F. and Almusallam A.S. (2013)., Effect of blanching on thermal color degradation kinetics and rheological behavior of rocket (Eruca sativa) puree., Journal of Food Engineering, 119(3), 660-667.
- Iqbal S.A. and Mildo Y. (2005)., Food Chemistry., Discovery Publication, New Delhi, 110-112.
- Ibarz A., Gonzalez C. and Esplugas S. (1994)., Rheology of clarified fruit juices. III: Orange juices., Journal of Food Engineering, 21(4), 485-494.
- Rao M.A., Cooley H.J., Nogueira J.N. and McLellan M.R. (1986)., Rheology of apple sauce: effect of apple cultivar, firmness, and processing parameters., Journal of food science, 51(1), 176-179.
- Bhattacharya S. (1999)., Yield Stress and Time‐dependent Rheological Properties of Mango Pulp., Journal of Food Science, 64(6), 1029-1033.
- Espinosa-Muñoz L., Renard C.M.G.C., Symoneaux R., Biau N. and Cuvelier G. (2013)., Structural parameters that determine the rheological properties of apple puree., Journal of Food Engineering, 119(3), 619-626.
- Constenla D.T., Lozano J.E. and Crapiste G.H. (1989)., Thermophysical properties of clarified apple juice as a function of concentration and temperature., Journal of Food Science, 54(3), 663-668.
- Silva E., Scholten E., van der Linden E. and Sagis L.M.C. (2012)., Influence of swelling of vegetable particles on structure and rheology of starch matrices., Journal of Food Engineering, 112(3), 168-174.
- Sengül M., Ertugay M.F. and Sengül M. (2005)., Rheological, physical and chemical characteristics of mulberry pekmez., Food Control, 16(1), 73-76.