Rapid iodination kinetics of alkyl derivatives of aniline by iodine monochloride using competition technique: a quantitative assessment of substrate nucleophilicity
- 1Nowrosjee Wadia College, affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, India
- 2Nowrosjee Wadia College, affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, India
- 3Nowrosjee Wadia College, affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, India
- 4Nowrosjee Wadia College, affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 60-62, February,18 (2017)
Rapid iodination kinetics of aniline and its alkyl derivatives in aqueous medium by iodine monochloride have been studied by the competition technique. The specific reaction rates of iodination of these substrates are evaluated as 300, 920, 1777 and 2200 M-1s-1, at 26.0oC, for aniline, N-ethyl aniline, N-methyl aniline and N,N-dimethyl aniline, respectively. These values quantitatively assess the relative nucleophilicity of these alkyl derivatives in aqueous medium. The competition technique has been used to evaluate the specific rates of the fast reactions studied herein.
- Berliner E. (1966)., The Current State of Positive Halogenating Agents., J.Chem.Edu., 43(3), 124-133.
- Dangat V.T., Bonde S.L. and Rohokale G.Y. (1984)., Bromination of p-Acetotoluidide in Aqueous Medium: Substituent Effect., Indian Journal of Chemistry, 23(3), 237-238.
- Dangat V.T. and Borkar V.T. (2011)., Kinetics of the Rapid Reaction of Iodine Monochloride with Potassium Iodide in Aqueous Solution using the Competition Technique., Research Link, 88A, X(5) 8-10.
- Rao T.S., Mali S.I. and Dangat V.T. (1979)., Kinetics of the Rapid Reaction Br2 + 2 I - → I2 + 2Br - in Aqueous Solution., Z.phys. Chemie, Leipzig, 260(1), 38-42.
- Clayden J., Greeves N., Warren S. and Wothers P. (2001)., Organic Chemistry., Oxford University Press, 239.