Inferring the chemical parameters for the dissolution of fluoride in groundwater of Bastar zone, Chhattisgarh, India
- 1Department of Chemistry, NMDC DAV Polytechnic, Dantewada, Chhattisgarh, India-494441
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 54-59, February,18 (2017)
Physico-chemical data highlight that high content of F- in groundwater of study area due to dissociation, decomposition and dissolution of fluoride-bearing minerals. Few physico-chemicals parameters also give positive correlation with F- ion dissolution. These groundwater are alkaline in pH (7.54-8.55), HCO3- concentration varies from 266-370 mg/l and F- concentration from 1.6-7.68 mg/l. Presence of F- bearing mineral in bedrock is not only factor but physico-chemical environment like aqueous ionic species, residence time of interaction, chemical behavior of free F- ion with other cations and anions in groundwater, play key role of its dissolution. This study indicates that 82% groundwater samples have EC- 940-1750 ÁS/cm and pH >7.8 Ionic concentration Ca2+, HCO3-, Cl- and Na+ in groundwater show strong positive relation with F- ion concentration.
- WHO (1984)., Guidelines for drinking water quality, Drinking water quality control in small community supplies., WHO, Geneva, 3, 212.
- USPHS (United State Public Health Services) (1962)., Drinking water standards., Public Health Services Publ. Washington, DC., 956.
- Annual Report of Corporate Water Disclosure (2016)., Thirsty business: Why water is vital to climate action., Global water report: 1-88.
- Saxena V. and Ahmed S. (2001)., Dissolution of fluoride in groundwater: a water-rock interaction study., Environ. Geol., 40(9), 1084-1087.
- Ahmed S., Sreedevi P.D., Sujatha D., Hashimi S.A.R., Subrahmanyam K., Saxena V.K. and Touchard F. (2002)., Time-variant behavior of fluoride contents in granitic aquifers., Presented during the International Groundwater Conference, 20-22, Dindigul. Tamilnadu, India.
- Veeraputhiran V. and Alagumuthu G. (2010)., A report on fluoride distribution in drinking water., Int. J. Environ. Sci., 1(4), 558-566.
- Amini M., Mueller K., Abbaspou K.C., Rosenberg L., Afyuni M., Moller K.N., Sarr M. and Johnson C.A. (2008)., Statistical modeling of global geogenic fluoride contamination in groundwater., Envir. Sci. and Technol., 42(10), 3662-3668.
- Banerjee A. (2015)., Groundwater fluoride contamination: A reappraisal., Geosci. Frontiers, 6(2), 277-284.
- Handa B.K. (1975)., Geochemistry and genesis of fluoride contains groundwater in India., Ground water, 13(3), 275-281.
- Mamatha P. and Rao S.M. (2010)., Geochemistry of fluoride rich groundwater in Kolar and Tumkur districts of Karnataka., Environ. Earth Sci, 61(1), 131-142.
- Annadurai S.T., Rengamy J.K., Sundaram R. and Munusamy A.P. (2014)., Incidence and effects of fluoride in Indian natural ecosystem: A review., Advances in appl. Sci. Res., 5(2), 173-185.
- Ahmed S., Bertrand F., Saxena V.K., Subrahmanyam K. and Touchard F. (2002)., A geostatistical method of determining priority of measurement wells in a fluoride monitoring network in an aquifer., J. Appl. Geochem., 4 (2B), 576-585.
- Jain S.k., Ray A., S. Shekhar, R. Chandra, K. Shrivasatava and Sharma V. (2010)., Groundwater quality in shallow aquifer of India. Central Groundwater Board, Ministry of water resources., Government of India, 1-117.
- C.G.W.B. (2012)., Hydrogeology of Chhattisgarh Central Groundwater Board, Raipur.,
- Rao S. (1997)., The occurrences and behavior of fluoride in groundwater of the lower Vamsadhara River basin, India., J. Hydrol. Sic., 42(6), 877-892.
- Wenzel W.W. and Blum W.E.H. (1992)., Fluoride specification and mobility in fluoride contaminated soil., Soil Sci., 153(5), 357-364.
- Cama J., Zhang L., Soler J.M., DeGiudici G., Ardvison R.S. and Luttge A. (2010)., Fluorite dissolution in acidic pH: insitu AFM and ex situ VSI experiments and Monte Carlo simulations., Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 74(15), 4298-4311.
- Rama Rao N.V. (1982)., Geochemical factors influencing the distribution of fluoride in rocks, soils, and water sources of Nalgonda district., AP Unpublished Thesis, Osmania University, India., 320.
- Sreedevi P.D., Ahmed S., Made B., Ledoux E. and Gondolfi J.M. (2006)., Association of hydro geological factors in temporal variations of fluoride concentration in a crystalline aquifer in India., Environ. Geol., 50(1), 1-11.