Total extractible concentration of Manganese, Cobalt, Nickel, Copper and Zinc in Soils of Children’s playground within Owerri metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria
- 1Department of Environmental Technology, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Imo State, P. M. B. 1526, Nigeria
- 2Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Port Harcourt, P. M. B. 5323, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- 3Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Port Harcourt, P. M. B. 5323, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 38-47, March,18 (2016)
Surface soil samples from 9 public school playgrounds across Owerri metropolis were investigated for concentration of single extraction with nitric acid and total extractible metals as sum of species using various extractants. For both total metal determination and sequential extraction procedure, metal concentrations were quantified with A ANALYST 400 Perkin Elmer AAS. Results revealed that total extractible Zn (172.67 ± 65.07 mg/kg) > Mn (99.14 ± 53.58 mg/kg) > Cu (60.18 ± 25.88 mg/kg) > Ni (55.13 ± 15.61 mg/kg), and Co (9.61 ± 3.88 mg/kg) showed higher concentrations in dry season but were much lower than WHO standards and values reported elsewhere. Although percent metal recoveries for rainy season were abnormally high, the mean recovery values ranged from 95 – 188%, indicating good analysis. All playgrounds studied in the three years showed positive correlation with at least one other metal with Pearson’s correlation coefficient ranging from 0.019 to 1 and then strongly negative for a few metals suggesting that all playgrounds had metals from a common source. Two groups of metal – metal correlations were observed ie one group showing strongly negative and all others were weakly positive.
- Turer D. (2000)., Heavy Metal Pollution of Roadways from vehicular and non- vehicular sources, Cincinnati, Ohio and Corpus Christi, TX., Ph.D Dissertation, University of Cincinnati Ohio.
- Horsfall M. Jnr. (2011)., Chemistry and heavy metals are Janus faced., An inaugural lecture series no. 81st, Department of pure and Industrial chemistry, university of Port Harcourt, November.
- Friberg L., Kjellstroem T., Nordberg G.F., Friberg L, Nordberg G.F and Vonk V.B (eds.) (1986)., Handbook on the Toxicology of Metals, Volume 11. Elsevier, Amsterdam. New York. Oxford. 130-184.
- Iwegbue C.M.A., Nwajei G.E., Eguavoen O. and Ogala J.E. (2009)., Chemical Fractionation of Some Heavy Metals in Soil Profiles in Vicinity of Scrap Dumps in Warri, Nigeria., Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability. 21(2), 99-110.
- Ayodele J.T. Gaya and U.M. Chromium (1998)., Zinc and Manganese in Kano Municipality Street Dust., Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 23, 24-31.
- Jaradat Q.M., Monani K.A. (1999)., Contamination of roadside soil, plant and air with heavy metal in Jordan, a comparative study., Turkish. J. Chem., 23, 209-220.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP) (2005)., Preventing Lead Poisoning in Young Children., Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA.
- Verla E.N., Spiff A.I. and Horsfall M. Jnr. (2015)., Physico chemical Characterization of Playgrounds Soils of public Schools in Owerri metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria., International journals of innovations and applied studies, 13(2), 472-480.
- Surech vir singh rana (2008)., Metals and apoptosis: Recent development., Journal of Trace Element in Medicine and Biology (elsvier), 22, 262-284.
- Chambers J.E., Boon S.J., Carr R.L., Chambers H.W. and Straus D.L. (2002)., Biomarkers as predictors in health and ecological risk assessment., Human Ecology Risk Assessment, (8), 165-176.
- Verla E.N, Verla A.W. and Ugwulor L. (2015)., Seasonal Variation of Heavy Metals in Playgrounds of Public Schools within Owerri Metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria., International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, 50, 61-70.
- Hant Y.M., Du P.X., Cao J. J. and Posmentier E.S. (2006)., Multivariate analysis of heavy metal contamination in urban dusts of Xi’an, Central China., Science Total Environment, (355), 176–186.
- Horsfall M. Jnr. and Spiff A.I. (2013)., Principles of Environmental pollution, and toxicology and waste management., Onyoma Research Publications, 16-17.
- Nriagu J., Oleru T.N., Cudjoe C. and Chine A. (1997)., Lead poisoning of children in Africa, III. Kaduna, Nigeria., The Sc. of the Tot. Environ., 197, 13-19.
- UNICEF (1997)., Childhood Lead Poisoning: Information for Advocacy and Action., 3 UN Plaza, New York, NY 10017, U.S.A.
- Herber F.R.M., Verschoor M.A. and Wibowo A.A.E. (1988)., A review of the kinetics and kidney effects of Cadmium – Recent epidemiological studies. In: Hutzinger O. and Safe S.H. (eds.) Environmental Toxins, Volume 2, Cadmium (Vol. eds.: Stoeppler M and Piscator M). Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg. New York-London- Paris-Tokyo, 115- 133.
- Tsuchiya K. (1978)., Cadmium Studies in Japan: A Review., Kodansha Ltd. Tokyo- Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam- New York- Oxford.
- Fischer A.B. (1987)., Mutagenic effects of cadmium alone and in combination with antimutagenic selenite., 6th International Conference on Heavy Metals in the Environment, New Orleans, Vol. 2. CEP Consultants Ltd, Edinburgh. 112-114.
- Kazantzis G. (1987)., The mutagenic and carcinogenic effect of cadmium. An update., Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Chemistry, 15, 83-100.
- Heinrich U. (1988)., Carcinogenicity of cadmium: Overview of experimental and epidemiological results and their influence on recommendations for maximum concentrations in the occupational area., Hutzinger O and Safe SH (eds.) Environmental Toxins, Volume 2, Cadmium. (Vol. eds.: Stoeppler M and Piscator M). Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg. New York-London-Paris-Tokyo. 13-15.
- Lansdown R. (1986)., Lead, intelligence attainment and behavior., In Lansdown R and Yule W edition. The Lead Debate. Croom Helm, London-Sydney. 235-270.
- Needleman H.L. (1987)., Low level lead exposure and children‟s intelligence: A quantitative and critical review of modern studies., Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Heavy Metals in the Environment, New Orleans. Volume 1. CEP Consultants Ltd., Edinburg. 1-8.
- Orajaka S.O. (1975)., Geology., Nigeria in maps: Eastern States. Ofomata, G.E.K. (Ed.). Ethiope Publishers. Benin city Nigeria, 5-7.
- FDALR (1985)., The reconnaissance soil survey of Imo state, Nigeria, Federal Department of Agricultural Land Resources. Soil report. 133-134.
- Verla E.N., Spiff A.I. and Horsfall M. Jnr. (2015)., A Preliminary Survey of Heavy Metals Concentrations in Children playground Within Owerri Metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria., Research Journal of Chemical Sciences. 5(11), 1-6.
- Onweremadu E.U., Eshett E.T. and Osuji G.E. (2007)., Temporal variability of selected heavy metals in automobile soils., International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 4(1), 35-41.
- Onweremadu E.U., Amaechi J.U. and Ndukwu B.N. (2011)., Vertical Distribution of Cadmium and Lead on Soils Affected by Metropolitan Refuse Disposal in Owerri, Southeastern Nigeria, Iranica Journ. of Ergy and Environ., 2(1), 62-67.
- Elbassam M. et. al., Anraeicherung and Verlagerung Von. (1977)., Cadmium in Bodem Furch zn fnr ko mmunaler seed lung Sab Falle., Land Wirtsh, (30), 215–220
- Finžgar N., Tlustoš P. and Leštan D. (2007)., Relationship of soil properties to fractionation, bioavailability and mobility of lead and zinc in soil., Plant Soil Environment, 53(5), 225–238.
- Adekunle M., Ndahi N.P. and Owolabi D.A. (2003)., Levels of some Hazardous Trace Metals and Simulated Blood lead levels from Highway soils of South- western Nigeria, International Journal of Enviromental Issues, 1(1), 4-9.
- WHO (2001)., Environmental Health Criteria No. 221: Zinc, World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Mostert M.M.R. (2008)., Levels of pollutants on surfaces of children’s playgrounds situated in Public Park., A thesis submitted to Queensland University of Technology. USA. 28-184.
- Ludwig Huber. (2015)., Validation of Analytical Methods and Procedures., Free monthly Newsletter, Keep yourself up-to-date. 7.
- Verla E.N, Verla A.W., Horsfall M Jr. and Spiff AI. (2015)., Assessment of some heavy metal in childrens playgrounds in Owerri metropolis, Imo state, Nigeria., Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 50, 44-50.
- Luo W.H., Zhang Y. and Li H. (2003)., Children’s blood lead levels after the phasing out of leaded gasoline in Shantou, China., Archives of Environmental Journal and Environmental Health, 58, 184–187.
- Ure A.M., Davidson C.M. and Thomas R.P. (1995)., Single and sequential extraction schemes for trace metal speciation in soil and sediment., Technical Instrumental Analytical Chemistry, 17, 505–523.
- Stutter M.I., Deeks L.E. and Billet M.F. (2004)., Spatial variability in soil ion exchange chemistry in a granitic upland catchment., Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 68, 1304-1314.
- De Miguel E.I. and Iribarren E. (2006)., Chacon, A. Ordonez and S. charlesworth. Risk based evaluation of the exposure of children to trace element in playground in Madrid, Spain., Chemosphere. 23 (4), 874 – 882.
- Lam K.C., Ng S.L., Hui W.C. and Chan P.K. (2005)., Environmental quality of urban parks and open spaces in Hong Kong., Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 111, 55–73.
- Aliyu M., Zakari Y.I, Ibeanu I.G.E. and Akpa T.C. (2009)., Evaluation of lead concentration levels of children’s playground in Kaduna state schools., Bayero Journ. of Pure and Appl. Sc., 2(2), 105–109.
- Davies O.A., Allison M.E. and Uyi H.S. (2006)., Bioaccumulation of heavy metals in water, sediment and periwinkle (Tympanotonus fuscatus var radula) from the Elechi Creek, Niger Delta., African Journal of Biotechnology, 5(10), 968-973.
- Corbett J.V. (1995)., Accidental poisoning with iron supplements., American Journal of Maternal and Child Nursing, 20-23.
- Chang J.S., Yu K.C., Tsai L.J. and Ho S.T. (1998)., Spatial distribution of heavy metals in bottom sediment of Yenshui river, Taiwan., Water Science and Technology 38 (11), 159–167.
- Yap C.K., Ismail A., Tan S.G. and Omar H. (2002)., Correlations between speciation of Cd, Cu, Pb and Zn in sediment and their concentrations in total soft tissue of green-lipped mussel Perna viridis from the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia., Environment International, 28, 117–126.
- Shaofeng W. Wang, Youngfeng Jia, Shuyying Wang, XinWang, He Wang, Zhixi Zhao and Biingzhu Liu (2010)., Fractionation of heavy metals in shallow marine sediments from Jinzhou Bay, China., Journal of Environmental sciences, 22(1), 23-31.
- Annao W.L., Nurdans D.A.K., Cheung C.C. and Mingh W. (2008)., Heavy Metals Concentrations of Surface Dust from E-Waste Recycling and Its Human Health Implications in Southeast China., Environmental science and technology, 42(7), 2671-2680.