The Effect of 1, 3, 5-trimethyl-2, 6-diphenyl piperidin-4-one oxime on the Electrochemical Behaviour of Mild Steel in HCl Medium
- 1PG and Research Department of Chemistry, Govt. Arts College, Tiruchirappalli – 22, TN, India
- 2PG and Research Department of Chemistry, Govt. Arts College, Tiruchirappalli – 22, TN, India
- 3PG and Research Department of Chemistry, Alagappa Government Arts College, Karaikudi - 630 003 India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 16-19, March,18 (2016)
Corrosion inhibitive performance of synthesized heterocyclic compound namely 1, 3, 5-trimethyl-2, 6-diphenyl piperidin-4-one oxime (TPO) was tested by weight loss study, electrochemical methods and SEM studies in 1M hydrochloric acid (HCl) medium against mild steel (MS). The weight loss studies were conducted at three different temperatures such as 30oC, 40oC and 50oC for various concentrations (0, 25, 50,100, 200 and 300 ppm) for 2h duration. The study revealed that the inhibition efficiency had positive correlation with enhancing TPO concentration and negative correlation with raising temperature. TPO adsorbs physically over mild steel surface obeying Temkin’s isotherm. Electrochemical parameters such as corrosion potential (Ecorr), corrosion current (icorr) and Tafel slopes (ba and bc) were determined using Tafel plot. The results showed that TPO decreases corrosion current significantly and behaves as mixed mode inhibitor. AC impedance measurement as determined by Nyquist plot were utilized to calculate the charge transfer resistance (Rct) and double layer capacitance (Cdl) whose results tribute each other. SEM studies revealed the film forming ability of TPO in HCl medium.
- Senthilkumar A.N., Tharini K. and Sethuraman M.G. (2009)., Corrosion inhibitory effect of few piperidin-4-one oximes on mild steel in hydrochloric medium., Surf Rev Lett., 16(1), 141.
- Senthilkumar A.N., Tharini K. and Sethuraman M.G. (2012)., Steric Effect of Alkyl Substituted Piperidin-4-one Oximes for Corrosion Control of Mild Steel in H2SO4 Medium., Acta Phys. Chim. Sin., 28(2) 399
- Senthilkumar A.N., Tharini K. and Sethuraman M.G. (2011)., J. Mater. Engg and Perform, 26(2), 969, undefined
- Stoyanova A.E., Sokolova E.I. and Raicheva S.N. (1997)., The inhibition of mild steel corrosion in 1 M HCL in the presence of linear and cyclic thiocarbamides—Effect of concentration and temperature of the corrosion medium on their protective action., Corros, 39(9) 1595.
- Baliah V. and Noller C.R. (1948)., The preparation of some piperidine derivatives by the Mannich reaction., J. Am. Chem. Soc. 70, 3853.
- Senthilkumar A.N. and Sethuraman M.G. (2008)., Corrosion inhibition potential of sulfadimidine., Corr. Rev., 26(1), 23.
- Ashassi-Sorkhabi H., Majidi M.R. and Seyyedi K. (2004)., Investigation of inhibition effect of some amino acids against steel corrosion in HCl solution., App. Sur. Sci., 225, 176.
- Ebenso E.E., Okafor P.C. and Ekpe U.f. (2003)., Anti. Corros. Met. Mat, 50(6), 414., undefined
- Yurt A., Balaban A., Ustun Kandemir S., Bereket G. and Erk B. (2004)., Investigation on some Schiff bases as HCl corrosion inhibitors for carbon steel., Mat. Chem. Phy., 85, 420.