Proximate and Phytochemical Studies of Exudate of Dacryodes edulis
- 1Department of Chemistry, University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- 3Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (3), Pages 1-7, March,18 (2016)
Proximate and Phytochemical analysis of exudates of Dacryodes edulis has been studied and proximate analytical result of exudate of Dacryodes edulis showed that the major chemical components present in exudate and the modified products were lipids and carbohydrate; while some of the mineral elements identified in purified, hydrolysed and saponified products were potassium, sodium, manganese, calcium and magnesium. Phytochemical screening showed the presence of alkaloids, saponins and resins as toxic substances. The IR spectra indicated the presence of –COOH (carboxylic), -OH (alcohol), N-H and C-N (protein) functional groups in the purified exudate, acid hydrolysis and saponification products, suggesting the presence of resin acid, fatty acids, fatty alcohols and protein in the exudate. From the results, Dacryodes edulis exudate could be useful in production of drugs for treatment of some ailments.
- Puthiyandi V.V. and Chathoth V. (2014)., Comparative Studies on Proton conducting nature of Copper selective Tin Zirconium phosphate cation exchanger with its single salt counterpart., Res. J. Chem. Sci. 4 (1), 84-90.
- Akpabio U.D. (2013)., Pulp and Paper Making raw materials in Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria – A display guide at Raw Materials Research and Development Centre, Uyo.
- Xiaopo Zhang and Harborne J.B. (2013)., Flavonoids., Natural products of woody plants, DOI: 10.5772/55933.
- Coppen J.J.W. (2013)., Non Wood Forest Product: Gums, Resins and Latexes of plant origin, Rome, Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations, 20, 8-10
- Okafor J.C. (2013)., Varietals delimitation in Dacryodes edulis., John Willey and Sons, New York, 102-138.
- Zaker Y., Hossain M.A., Paul and Isiam T.S.A. (2013)., Spectro-chemical Characterization of Rangpur (Sabjibari) soil Fraction of Bangladesh., Res. J. Chem Sci., 3(9), 10 -17.
- Gupta V., Singh S. and Gupta Y.K. (2013)., Synthesis and Antimicrobial Activity of some salicylaldehyde Schiff based of 2-aminopyridine, Res. J. Chem Sci., 9, 26.
- Akpabio U.D., Akpakpan A.E., Udo U.E. and Essien U.C. (2012)., Physicochemical characterization of exudates from Raffia Palm (Raphia hookeri)., Pelagia Applied Science Research, 3(2), 838-843.
- Whiteside P.J. (2012)., Introduction to Atomic Adsorption Spectrophotometer, 1st ed., Pye-Unicam Ltd. 106–113.
- Udo I.E., Akpabio U.D. and Akpakpan A.E. (2012)., Physicochemical studies on the hydrolysis and saponification product of Dacryodes edulis exudates., Archives of Applied Science Research, 4(4) 1741-1747.
- Anneline P., Wallace G. and Fry S.C. (2012)., Phenolic components of the plant cell wall., International Rev. Cytol, 151, 102-117.
- A.O.C.S. (2012)., Official and Tentative Method., A.M. oil. Chem. Sci., 27, 249.
- Ahmad M.Z., Mohd. A, Showkat R.M. and Markham L.R. (2011)., Triterpeniods., Phytochemistry, 5(1), 548-550.
- Vani S.R., Cheng S.F. and Chuah C.H. (2009)., Comparative study of volatile compounds from Ocimum., American J of Applied Sci., 6(3), 523-8.
- Hawley G.G. (2007)., The Condensed Chemical Dictionary. 15th Ed. Revised., Van Nostrand Perinhold Comp., New York, 209.
- BeMiller J.N. (2006)., Carbohydrate. Natural Products of woody plant, Springer-verlag., Berlin, 861–880.
- Gary A.S. (2002)., Handbook of pulp and paper technology, 2nd ed., Van No strand, New York, 55-367.
- Gupta M.K., Trease G.E. and Evans W.C. (2009)., Text Book of Pharmacognosy., 13th ed. Bailliere Tindal, London, 54-63.
- Bangash E.K, Ahmad T., Atta S and Zeb A. (2004)., Effects of irradiation on the storage stability of gum., J. Chinese Chemical Society, 51, 991-995.
- A.O.A.C. (2003)., Official Methods of analysis; Association of Analytical Chemists., 17th ed. 2nd Revised. Washington D.C., USA, 80-90.
- A.O.A.C. (2002)., Official Methods of analysis; Association of Analytical Chemists., 17th ed. 1st Revised, Washington D.C., USA, 1200-1240.
- Trease G.E. and Evans W.C. (2001)., Text Book of Pharmacognosy., 14th ed., WB Saunders Company Limited, U.K., 612.
- Verheij E.W.M. (2002)., Dacryodes edulis (G.Don) H. J. Lam. Record from Protabase., Oyen, L.P.A. and Lemmens, R.H.M.J. (Editors). PROTA (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa / Ressources végétales de l’Afrique tropicale), Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- Kalita J.N. and Mahanta P.K. (1993). 3Analysis of mineral composition of some Assam and Darjeeling black tea., J. Sc., Food and Agric., 62, 105-109., undefined
- Shib A. (2014)., Seasonal Variation in Physico-chemical characteristic of Rudrasa gar Wetland- Ramsar site, Tripua, North East, India., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 4(1) 31-40.