Photocatalytic Degradation of Violet GL2B using Synthesized CaZnAl2O5 Metal Oxide Nano-Particle
- 1Dept. of PG Studies and Research in Environmental Science, Kuvempu Uni., Jnana Sahyadri, Shankaraghatta, Shimoga, Karnataka, India
- 2Dept. of PG Studies and Research in Environmental Science, Kuvempu Uni., Jnana Sahyadri, Shankaraghatta, Shimoga, Karnataka, India
- 3Dept. of PG Studies and Research in Chemistry, P.G. Center Kadur, Kuvempu University, Kadur(T), Chickmagalur(D), Karnataka, India
- 4Dept. of PG Studies and Research in Environmental Science, Kuvempu Uni., Jnana Sahyadri, Shankaraghatta, Shimoga, Karnataka, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (12), Pages 47-53, December,18 (2016)
Azo dyes present in textile wastewater require a proper technique for their removal, due to their negative environmental and health effects. Although there are several ways to treat such wastewater, this study is focused on photocatalytic degradation on Calcium Zinc Aluminate (CaZnAl2O5) nano catalyst. Violet GL2B (VGL2B) dye was used for photocatalytic degradation studies at 30 mg/L concentration. Colour degradation was monitored using UV-Vis spectroscopy. Complete colour removal was observed for the azo dye. It is found that, degradation rate of VGL2B for CaZnAl2O5 the degradation was found to be 99.07% at pH 4 in 120 minutes for 0.6g/100ml. Also the results revealed that, the degradation facility is directly bear upon by the concentration of dye solution.
- Ameneh E., Sam H. and Akbar E. (2016)., Photocatalytic decolorization of reactive red 198 dye by a TiO2–activated carbon nano-composite derived from the sol–gel method., Res. Chem. Intermed., 42(3), 2461-2471.
- Arezoo S. and Alireza N.E. (2016)., Enhanced photocatalytic activity of supported CuO–ZnO semiconductors towards the photodegradation of mefenamic acid aqueous solution as a semi real sample., J. Mol. Catal. A: Chem., 411(1), 222-229.
- Bibak O. and Aliabadi M. (2014)., Photocatalytic degradation of malachite green in aqueous solution using TiO2 nanocatalyst., J. Biol. Environ.Sci., 5(4), 301-310.
- Di-Paola A., Augugliaro V., Palmisano L., Pantaleo G. and Savinov E. (2003)., Heterogeneous photocatalytic degradation of nitrophenols., J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem., 155(1-3), 207-214.
- Mao Z., Wu Q., Wang M., Yang Y., Long J. and Chen X. (2014)., Tunable synthesis of SiO2-encapsulated zero-valent iron nanoparticles for degradation of organic dyes., Nanoscale Res. Lett., 9(1), 2-9.
- Kamila B., Julia C., Diana D. and Antoni W.M. (2010)., Methylene Blue and Phenol Photocatalytic Degradation on Nanoparticles of Anatase TiO2., Pol. J. Environ. Stud., 19(4), 685-691.
- Manoj Kumar Reddy P., Mahammadunnisa S.K. and Subrahmanyam C.H. (2014)., Mineralization of aqueous organic pollutants using a catalytic plasma reactor., Indian J. Chem., 53(4), 499-503.
- Gopalappa H., Yogendra K., Mahadevan K.M. and Madhusudhana N. (2012)., A comparative study on the solar photocatalytic degradation of Brilliant Red azo dye by CaO and CaMgO2 nanoparticles., Int. J. Sci. Res., 1(2), 91-95.
- Bhavya C., Yogendra K. and Mahadevan K.M. (2015)., Synthesis of Calcium Aluminate Nanoparticle and its Application to Photocatalytic Degradation of Coralene Navy Blue 3G and Coralene Violet 3R., Int. J. Res. Chem. Environ., 5(1), 28-33.
- Sushil Kumar K., Navjeet Kaur and Sukhmehar Singh (2009)., Photocatalytic Degradation of Two Commercial Reactive Dyes in Aqueous Phase Using Nanophotocatalysts., Nanoscale Res. Lett., 4(7), 709-716.
- Yogendra K., Mahadevan K.M., Suneel Naik and Madhusudhana N. (2011)., Photocatalytic activity of synthetic ZnO composite against Coralene Red F3BS dye in presence of solar light., Int. J. Environ. Sci., 1(5), 839-846.
- Bhavya C., Yogendra K. and Mahadevan K.M. (2016)., A Study on the Synthesis, Characterization and Photocatalytic Activity of CaO Nanoparticle against Some Selected Azo Dyes., Indian J. Appl. Res., 5(6), 362-365.
- Madhusudhana N., Yogendra K. and Mahadevan K.M. (2012)., A comparative study on photocatalytic degradation of violet GL2B azo dye using CaO and TiO 2 nanoparticles, Res. J. Chem. Sci., 2(5), 72-77.
- Gopalappa H., Yogendra K., Mahadevan K.M. and Madhusudhana N. (2014)., Solar Photocatalytic Degradation of Azo Dye Brilliant Red in Aqueous Medium by Synthesized CaMgO2 Nanoparticle as an Alternative Catalyst., Chem. Sci. Trans. 3(1), 232-239.
- Santhanalakshmi J. and Komalavalli R. (2012)., Visible Light Induced Photocatalytic Degradation of some Textile Dyes Using Silver Nano Particles., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 2(4), 64-67.
- Sawant D.K., Patil H.M., Bhavsar D.S., Patil J.H. and Girase K.D. (2011)., Structural and Optical Properties of Calcium Cadmium Tartrate., Arch. Phys. Res., 2(2), 67-73.
- Subramani A.K., Byrappa K., Ananda S., Lokanatha Rai K.M., Ranganathaiah C. and Yoshimura M. (2007)., Photocatalytic degradation of indigo carmine dye using TiO2 impregnated activated carbon., Bull. Mater. Sci., 30(1), 37-41.
- Madhu G.M., Lourdu Antony Raj M.A. and Vasantha Kumar Pai K. (2009)., Titamium oxide (TiO2) assisted photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue., J. Environ. Biol., 30(2), 259-264.
- Turchi C.S. and Ollis D.F. (1990)., Photocatalytic Degradation of Organic Water Contaminants: Mechanisms Involving Hydroxyl Radical Attack., J. Catal., 122(1), 178-192.
- Mirkhani V., Tangestaninejad S., Moghadam M., Habibi M.H. and Rostami Vartooni A. (2009)., Photocatalytic Degradation of Azo Dyes Catalyzed by Ag Doped TiO2 Photocatalyst., J. Iran. Chem. Soc., 6(3), 578-587.
- Byrappa K., Subramani A.K., Ananda S., Lokanatha Rai K.M., Dinesh R. and Yoshimura M. (2006)., Photocatalytic degradation of Rhodamine B dye using hydrothermally synthesized ZnO., Bull. Mater. Sci., 29(5), 433-438.
- Guillen Santiago A., Mayen S.A., Torres Delgado G., Castanedo Perez R., Maldonado A. and de la Olvera M.L. (2010)., Photocatalytic degradation of Methylene blue using undoped and Ag doped TiO2 thin films deposited by a sol gel process: Effect of the ageing time of the starting solution and the film thickness., Mater. Sci. Eng. B., 174(1-3), 84-87.
- Movahedi M., Mahjoub A.R. and Janitabar Darzi S. (2009)., Photodegradation of Congo Red in Aqueous Solution on ZnO as an Alternative Catalyst to TiO2., J. Iran. Chem. Soc., 6(3), 570-577.