Hydrogen Sulfide sensing characteristics of Spinel-type Nanocrystalline Zn0.7Mg0.3Co2O4
- 1Department of Physics, Government Vidarbha Institute of Science & Humanities, Amravati 444604, Maharashtra, India
- 2Department of Physics, Arts, Science and Commerce College, Chikhaldara 444807, Maharashtra State, India
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 6, Issue (12), Pages 40-46, December,18 (2016)
Nanocrystalline Zn1-xMgxCo2O4 (x = 0.3) spinel having cubic structure was synthesized by sol–gel method successfully calcined at 500oC for 2 h. The formation of Zn1-xMgxCo2O4 confirms by means of an X-ray powder diffraction (XRD) and Fourier Transform-Infra-red spectrum (FT-IR). Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) was examined the surface morphology. To study hydrogen sulfide gas sensing characteristics of Zn1-xMgxCo2O4 spinel were systematically investigated. Zn1-xMgxCo2O4 showed excellent gas sensing properties like, high gas response towards 50 ppm hydrogen sulfide gas at 100oC, good selectivity at lower operating temperature 100oC. The response and recovery time for Zn1-xMgxCo2O4 were found to be 16 s and 52 s respectively. The results proved that nanocrystalline Zn1-xMgxCo2O4 is a potential candidate for detection of hydrogen sulfide. Moreover, possible hydrogen sulfide sensing mechanism is discussed.
- Xu S. and Shi Y. (2009)., Low temperature high sensor response nano gas sensor using ITO nanofibers., Sens. Actuators B, 143, 71–75.
- Yun S., Lee J., Yang J. and Lim S. (2010)., Hydrothermal synthesis of Al-doped ZnO nanorods arrays on Si substrate., Physica B, 405, 413–419.
- Wang C., Yin L., Zhang L., Xiang D. and Gao R. (2010)., Metal Oxide Gas Sensors: Sensitivity and Influencing Factors., Sensors, 10, 2088-2106.
- Basu S. and Basu P.K. (2009)., Nanocrystalline Metal Oxides for Methane Sensors: Role of Noble Metals., J. Sensors, 20, 861968.
- Ghose J. and Murthy K.S.R.C. (1996)., Activity of Cu2+Ions on the Tetrahedral and Octahedral Sites of Spinel Oxide Catalysts for CO Oxidation., J. Catal., 162, 359-360.
- Yang B.L., Cheng D.S. and Lee S.B. (1991)., Effect of steam on the oxidative dehydrogenation of butene over magnesium ferrites with and without chromium substitution., Appl. Catal., 70, 161-173.
- Jacobs J.P., Maltha A., Reintjes J.G.H., Drimal J., Ponec V. and Brongersma H.H. (1994)., The Surface of Catalytically Active Spinels., J. Catal., 147, 294-300.
- Sloczynski J., Zi´o lkowski J., Grzybowska B., Grabowski R., Jachewicz D., Wcislo K. and Gengembre L. (1999)., Oxidative Dehydrogenation of Propane on NixMg1−xAl2O4 and NiCr2O4 Spinels., J. Catal., 187, 410-418.
- Karthikeyan K., Kalpana D. and Renganathan N.G. (2009)., Synthesis and characterization of ZnCo2O4 nanomaterial for symmetric supercapacitor applications., Ionics, 15, 107–110.
- Trasatti S., Lipkowski J., Ross P.N. (1994)., The Electrochemistry of Novel Materials., VCH Publishers, Weinheim, 207.
- Omata K., Takada T. and Kasahara S. (1996)., Active site of substituted cobalt spinel oxide for selective oxidation of COH2. Part II., J. Appl. Catal. A: Gen., 146, 255-267.
- Zhang G.Y., Guo B. and Chen J. (2006)., MCo2O4 (M = Ni, Cu, Zn) nanotubes: Template synthesis and application in gas sensors., Sens. Actuators B, 114, 402-409.