Spectroscopic study of cyanotoxicity of potassium cyanide on normal human haemoglobin
- 1Medical Biochemical and Pharmacognosy Research Unit, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Nigeria, 410001, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria
- 2Natural Science Unit, School of General Science, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria
- 3Medical Biochemical and Pharmacognosy Research Unit, Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Nigeria, 410001, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria.
Res.J.chem.sci., Volume 10, Issue (3), Pages 1-9, October,18 (2020)
Potassium cyanide (KCN) one of the salts of cyanide finds its application in several fields of endeavour such as pharmaceuticals, industrial, agricultural, mining, metallurgy, medical, photography and as a biological weapon. Release of cyanide from KCN into the blood stream during its usage has been found to be toxic to human health. Sequel to this, the study aims atinvestigating by spectral analysis, the cyanotoxicity effect of KCN on normal human haemoglobin. The study was divided into 8 groups consisting of control and test groups (0.2, 0.5, 1 and 1.5M KCN + 1000Ál Oxyhaemoglobin respectively and 2000, 3000 and 4000Ál Oxyhaemoglobin + 1.5M KCN respectively). It was found that KCN caused concentration dependent oxidation on normal human haemoglobin and also a concentration dependent reduction in oxyhaemoglobin concentration which are all precursors to several pathophysiologic conditions in man. Therefore, measures should be put in place to curtail the hazardous effect of cyanide emission on human.
- Greim, H. (2003)., Hydrogen cyanide, potassium cyanide and sodium cyanide. In: Occupational toxicants. Critical data evaluation for MAK values and classification of carcinogens., Weinheim, Germany: Wiley VCH, 19, 189-210
- Korte, F., Spiteller, M., and Coulston, F. (2000)., The cyanide leaching gold recovery process is a non sustainable technology with unacceptable impacts on ecosystems and humans: the disaster in Romania., Ecotoxicol. Environ., 46, 241-245.
- Korte, F. and Coulston, F. (1998)., Some considerations on the impact on ecological chemical principles in practice with emphasis on gold mining and cyanide., Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf., 41, 119-129.
- Gail, E., Gos, S., Kulzer, R., Lorösach, J., Rubo, A. and Sauer, M. (2000)., Cyano compounds, inorganic., In Ullmanns Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, 2000 electronic release, Weinheim, Germany: VCH-Verlag, pp. 159-189. Accessed 8th March 2020 [http://jwsedck.interscience.wiley.com:8087/]
- IPCS (2002)., Potassium cyanide, . Geneva, World Health Organization, International Programme on Chemical Safety.
- Siller, H. and Winter, J. (1998)., Degradation of cyanide in agro industrial or industrial wastewater in an acidification reactor or in a single step methane reactor by bacteria enriched from soil and peels of cassava., Appl. Microbiol. Biot., 50, 384-389.
- Bödigheimer, K., Nowak, F. and Schoenborn, W. (1979)., Pharmakokinetik und thyreotoxizität des nitroprussid-Natrium-Metaboliten Thiocyanat., Deutsche Medizinische Wochenschrift, 104, 939-943.
- Carotti, A. A. and Kaiser, E. R. (1972)., Concentrations of twenty gaseous chemical species in the flue gas of a municipal incinerator., J. Air Pollut. Control Assoc., 22, 224-253.
- Fiksel, J., Cooper, C., Eschenroeder, A., Goyer, M. and Perwak, J. (1981)., Exposure and risk assessment for cyanide., Washington, DC, US Environmental Protection Agency.
- ATSDR (1997)., Toxicological profile for cyanide., Atlanta, GA, US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
- Eisler, R., Clarke, D. R (Jr.), Wiemeyer, S. N. and Henry, C. J. (1999)., Sodium cyanide hazards to fish and other wildlife from gold mining operations., In: Azcue, J. M. (Ed). Environmental impacts of miningactivities. Berlin, Springer, pp. 55-67.
- Mudder, T. I. and Botz, M. (2000)., A global perspective of cyanide., A background paper of the UNEP/ICME Industry Codes of Practice Workshop: Cyanide Management Paris, 26-27. Available at http://www.mineralresourcesforum.org/.
- Ballantyne, B. (1987)., Toxicology of cyanides., In: B. Ballantyne, and T. C. Marrs, (Eds.), Clinical and experimental toxicology of cyanides. Wright, Bristol: IOP Publishing, pp. 41-126.
- Henny, C. J., Hallock, K., and Hill, E. F. (1994)., Cyanide and migratory birds at gold mines in Nevada, USA., Ecotoxicol., 3, 45-58.
- Grosse, D. W. (1986)., Treatment technologies for hazardous wastes. Part IV. A review of alternative treatment processes for metal-bearing hazardous waste streams., J. Air Pollut. Control Assoc., 36, 603-614.
- Clark, D.R. (Jr.) and Hothem, R. L. (1991)., Mammal mortality at Arizona, California, and Nevada gold mines using cyanide extraction., Calif. Fish Game, 77, 61-69.
- Ma, J. and Pritsos, C.A. (1997)., Tissue specific bioenergetic effects and increased enzymatic activities following acute sublethalperoral exposure to cyanide in the mallard duck., Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 142, 297-302.
- Haddad, L. M. and Winchester, J. F. (1990)., Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose., 2nd Ed., W.B. Saunders Company, pp. 11103-1111
- Okafor, P. N., Okoronkwo, C. O and Maduagwu, E. N. (2002)., Occupational and dietary exposures of humans to cyanide poisoning from large-scale cassava processing and ingestion of cassava foods., Food Chem. Toxicol., 49, 1001-1005.
- Chandra, H., Gupta, B. N. and Mathur, N. (1988)., Threshold limit value of cyanide: a reappraisal in Indian context., Indian J. Environ. Prot., 8, 170-174.
- Banerjee, K. K., Bishayee, B. and Marimuthu, P. (1997)., Evaluation of cyanide exposure and its effect on thyroid function of workers in a cable industry., J. Occup. Environ. Med., 39, 255-260.
- Feher, J.J. (2012)., Quantitative Human Physiology; Membrane transport and metabolism., Academic Press, United States. Isac-Garcia, J., Dobado, J. A., Calva-Flores, F. G. and Martinez-Garcia, H. (2016). Experimental organic chemistry laboratory manual (Academic press, New York).
- Awad, S., Allison, S. P. and Labo, D. N. (2008)., The history of 0.9% saline., Clin. Nutr., 27, 179-188.
- Hills, A. G. (1973)., pH and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation., The Am. J. Med., 55, 131-133.
- Meng, F. and Alayash, A. I. (2017)., Determination of extinction coefficients of human hemoglobin in various redox states., Anal. Biochem., 521, 11-19.
- Robert, W. R., Mauri, D. and Lisa, P. N. (1994)., Discovering the Beer-Lambert Law., J. Chem. Educ., 71, 983.
- Ibrahim. M. A., EL-Gohary, M. I., Saleh, N. A. and Elashry, M.Y. (2008)., Spectroscopic study on oxidation reactions of normal and pathogenic haemoglobin molecules., Rom. J. Biophys., 18, 39-47.
- Horecker, B. L. (1942)., The absorption spectra of haemoglobin and its derivatives in the visible and near infra-red regions., J. Biol. Chem., 148, 173-183.
- Monsanto Co. (1985)., Male fertility study of Sprague-Dawley rats exposed by the inhalation route to acetone cyanohydrins, St. Louis, MO, Monsanto Co., Report ML-82-144; US EPA/OPTSPublic Files No. 878216404.
- Olusi, S. O, Oke, O.L. and Odusote, A. (1979)., Effects of cyanogenic agents on reproduction and neonatal development in rats., Biol. Neonate, 36, 233-234.
- Sousa, A. B., Soto-Blanco, B., Guerra, J. L., Kimura, E. T., and Gorniak, S. L. (2002)., Does prolonged oral exposure to cyanide promote hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity?., Toxicology, 174, 87-95.
- Soto-Blanco, B., Maiorka, P. C. and Gorniak, S. L. (2002)., Neuropathologic study of long term cyanide administration to goats., Food Chem. Toxicol, 40, 1693-1698.
- Gerhart, J.M. (1987)., Ninety-day oral toxicity study of potassium silver cyanide [KAg(CN)2] in Sprague-Dawley rats., Prepared for the Dynamac Corporation, Rockville, MD, by IIT Research Institute, Chicago, IL., IITRI Project No. L06183, Study No. 4.
- Chen, Q., Vasquez, E. J., Moghddas, S., Hoppel, C. L., and Lesnefsky, E. J. (2003)., Production of reactive oxygen species by mitochondria., J. Biol. Chem., 278, 36027-36031.
- Jones, D. C., Gunasekar, P. G., Borowitz, J. L. and Isom, G. E. (2000)., Dopamine-induced apoptosis is mediated by oxidative stress and is enhanced by cyanide in differentiated PC12 cells., J. Neurochem, 74, 2296-2304.
- Leavesley, H. B., Li, L., Prabhakaran, K., Borowitz, J. L. and Isom, G. E. (2008)., Interaction of cyanide and nitric oxide with Cytochrome c oxidase: Implications for acute cyanide toxicity., Toxicol. Sci., 101, 101-111.
- Winterbourn, C.C. (1985)., Free-radical production and oxidative reactions of haemoglobin., Environ Health Persp., 64, 321-330.
- Faivre, B., Menu, P., Labrude, P. and Vigneron, C. (1998)., Hemoglobin autooxidation / oxidation mechanisms and methemoglobin prevention or reduction processes in the bloodstream., Artif. Cell Blood Sub., 26, 17-26