Digital Library Services in India: A survey on colleges of the State of West Bengal
- 1West Bengal State University, West Bengal, India
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 1-4, January,21 (2021)
In the last decade Indian libraries has seen major shift towards the digital libraries. However, managing the digital libraries are not the same as it was for the traditional libraries. Through this survey an attempt was made to understand the status of the management of digital libraries in the colleges of the State of West Bengal. The study mainly focused on the management of digital resources along with the traditional resources. The survey also focused on the demand of traditional vs. digital library resources by the students community of these colleges. Data was collected from 10 colleges of the State of West Bengal, India through questionnaires and interviews. The collected data was analyzed by using different statistical measures including coefficient of variation. The study reveals that though the colleges started spending on digital resources, the demand for traditional resources is also equally good from the students community. It was also observed that the speed of internet is not adequate for the proper usage of resources also there is an urgent need for training for both the library staff as well as the users of digital resources.
- Gaur, R.C. (2003)., Rethinking the Indian digital divide: The present state of digitization in Indian management libraries., The International Information & Library Review, 35(2-4), 189-203.
- Jeevan V.K (2004)., Digital library development: identifying sources of content for developing countries with special reference to India., The International Information & Library Review, 36(3), 185-197.
- Kumbhar, S., & Priolkar, S. (2015)., Digital Library Management: Challenges and Opportunities Conference: Changing Role of Library Professionals in ICT Environment, At Mahabaleswar, Pachawad.,
- Singh, R., & Tyagi, S. (2018)., Library documents classification by using the web tools., National Conference on Changing Digital Landscape in SMART Environment, 503-510.
- Bush Vannevar (1945)., As We May Think., The Atlantic Monthly: 101-108. Archived from the original on 21 April 2018.
- Bourne, C. P., & Hahn, T. B. (2003)., A History of Online Information Services., 1963-1976. MIT Press. 169-170.
- Besser, H. (2004)., The Past, Present, and Future of Digital Libraries., In Schreibman, Susan; Siemens, Ray; Unsworth, John (eds.).
- Lynch, Clifford (2005)., Where Do We Go From Here?., The Next Decade for Digital Libraries. D-Lib Magazine. 11(7/8).
- Witten, I. H., Bainbridge, and David Nichols (2009)., How to Build a Digital Library., 2nd ed.. Morgan Kaufman.
- Lanagan, J. and Smeaton, A. F. (2012)., Video digital libraries: contributive and decentralized., International Journal on Digital Libraries, 12(4), 159-178.
- Murray S. Martin (1994)., , Academic Library Budgets.