Libraries fostering solidarity and values through workplace spirituality and devotion: the UNIUYO library experience
- 1Dept. of EduTech & Library Sc., University of Uyo, Nigeria
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 28-34, January,21 (2019)
It is not unusual for secular organisations to have worship gatherings in Nigerian society. These occur often with the underlying benefits ranging from economic, social, psychological, moral and political amidst other derivations. This paper consequently is a documentation of the devotional gatherings held at the library, University of Uyo (UNIUYO) Nigeria, based on participatory account of the lead author who coordinated same. This 'congregation' spearheaded by the library management from nearly ten years ago, comprised predominantly library staff and other members of UNIUYO community occasionally invited. In recent years, this gathering gradually advanced to become an enabling platform to deliberate and implore for peace, solidarity and values towards progress generally, not only for the library workplace but the university community at large. This paper therefore takes a germane look at the encounters surrounding these solemn meetings from with plausible consequences. It also brings to the fore how such meeting points incidentally raised both moral and civil standards in the work force.
- Philip K. (2000)., Impact and Significance of Literacy on Cultural Modifications., B.A. Degree Research Project. Vision Christian College & Seminary, Nigeria. Affiliate of Vision University, Ramona, USA.
- Global Christianty (2011)., Regional Distribution of Christians., Pew Research Centre. December 19.
- Peel B. and Larimore W. (2010)., Workplace Grace: Becoming a Spiritual Influence at Work., Zondervan, 216.
- Onah N. and Ugwu C. (2008)., Prayer as a Panacea for Human Problems: Nigerian Christian Experience., Paper presented at Department of Religion, University of Nigeria Nsukka. https://www.ajol.infor/article/viewFile
- Loo M.K.L. (2017)., Spirituality in the Workplace: Practices, Challenges, and Recommendations., Journal of Psychology and Theology, 45(3), 182-204. https://www.questia.com
- English L.M., Fenwick T.J. and Parsons J. (2005)., Interrogating Our Practices of Integrating Spirituality into Workplace Education., Australian journal of adult learning, 45(1), 7-28.
- Karakas F. (2010)., Spirituality and performance in organizations: A literature review., Journal of business ethics, 94(1), 89-106.
- Tecchio E., Cunha C. and Santos F. (2016)., Spirituality in Organizations?., Organizações & Sociedade, 23(79), 590-608. http://www.redalyc.org/articulo.oa?id=4006474
- Ekwunife A.N. (2007)., What will be, Will be: Why Pray., Lagos: Priceless prints.
- Scott J. and Marshall G. (2009)., Oxford (encyclopedic) Dictionary of Sociology., New York: Oxford University Press.
- Daniel J.L. (2015)., Workplace Spirituality and Stress: Evidence from Mexico and US., Management Research Review, 38(1), 29-32. http://search.proquest.com/docview/ 1644447382?accountid=10559
- Mastel K.M. and Innes G. (2013)., Insights and Practical Tips on Practicing Librarianship, Mindful Librarianship to manage Stress., Library and Information Science Research Electronic Journal (LIBRES), 23(1), 1-8.
- Leadership Ministries Worldwide (1998)., The Preacher's Outline and Sermon Bible., An Excerpt from the Gospel according to Matthew.
- King D.B. (2008)., Rethinking claims of spiritual intelligence: A definition., model, and measure, Unpublished Master
- Gieseke A.R. (2014)., The Relationship between Spiritual Intelligence, Mindfulness, and Transformational Leadership among Public Higher Education Leaders., A Doctoral dissertation, The School of Education, College of Professional Studies, Northeastern University Boston, Massachusetts.
- Subbiondo J.L. (2011)., Spirituality on campus: The emergence of a post Secular age in American Higher Education., About Campus, 16(5), 30-32.
- Chickering A.W. (2006)., Policy issues: Legislative and institutional., In Chickering A., Dalton J. and Auerbach L. (Eds.), Encouraging Authenticity and Spirituality in Higher Education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass., 97-112.
- Bower J. (2010)., The Value of Spirituality in the Workplace., http://managementhelp.org
- Liang j., Peng L., Zhao S. and Wu H. (2017)., Relationship among Workplace Spirituality, Meaning in Life, and Psychological Well-being of Teachers., Universal Journal of Educational Research, 5(6), 1008-1013. http://www.hrpub.org
- Krishnakumar S. and Neck C. (2002)., The 'what', 'why' and 'how' of spirituality in the Work Place., Journal of Managerial Psychology, 17(3), 153-164.
- Garcia-Zamor J. (2003)., Workplace spirituality and organizational performance., Public Administration Review, 63(3), 355-363.
- Keyes C., Shmotkin D. and Ryff D. (2002)., Optimizing well-being: The empirical encounter of two traditions., Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 82(6), 1007-1022.
- Salsman J., Lai J., Hendrie C., Butt Z., Pilkonis P. and Cella D. (2014)., Assessing psychological well-being: Self-report instruments for the NIH Toolbox., Quality of Life Research, 23(1), 205-215.
- Gale C.R., Cooper C., Deary I.J. and Sayer A.A. (2014)., Psychological well-being and incident frailty in men and women: the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing., Psychological medicine, 44(4), 697-706.
- Duggleby W., Cooper D. and Penz K. (2009)., Hope, self‐efficacy, spiritual well‐being and job satisfaction., Journal of advanced nursing, 65(11), 2376-2385.
- Balouch S., Bolide M., Balouchi Z. and Raisi H. (2015)., What Is The Impact Of Organizational Spirituality On Productivity Of Human Resources?., Theoretical and Applied Science, 3(23), 115-121. http://s-o-i.org/1.1/ TAS*03(23)21
- Kolodinsky R.W., Giacalone R.A. and Jurkiewicz C.L. (2008)., Workplace values and outcomes: Exploring personal, organizational, and interactive workplace spirituality., Journal of business ethics, 81(2), 465-480.
- Bosch L. (2009)., The Inevitable Role of Spirituality in the Workplace., Business Intelligence Journal, 2(1), 139-157.
- Marzabadi A., Esfandiar H. and Pourkhalil M. (2012)., The relationship between Organizational Spirituality and the Variables of Psychological Empowerment, Creativity, Spiritual Intelligence, Job Stress and Job Satisfaction among University Employees., Iranian Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 6, 2.
- Dehaghi R., Morteza G., Masoud K. and Arazi Z. (2012)., The effect of spiritual values on employees, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 62, 159-166.
- Jamshidi G., Fateme O. and Hayati Z. (2013)., Evaluation of the impact of spirituality on human resources productivity in libraries., Librarian & information research, 3(1), 50-727.
- Rego A., Cunha M. and Pina E. (2008)., Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Commitment: An empirical study., Journal of Organizational Change Management, 21(1), 53-75.
- Sprung J., Sliter M. and Jex S. (2012)., Spirituality as a moderator of the relationship between workplace aggression and employee outcomes., Personality and Individual Differences, 53(7), 930-934.
- Lajul W. (2017)., Justice and Post LRA War in Northern Uganda: ICC versus 21 Acholi Traditional Justice System., IAFOR Journal of Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, 3(2), 21-34.
- Torraco S. (2009)., EWTN., http://catholiceducation.org/ articles/religion
- Etim F. (2005)., Strategies for maximizing the potentials of the school library., Journal of Research and Development Education, 111(1), 75-85.
- Etuk U.S. (2007)., The Relevance of Philosophy, the philosophy of relevance., 55th Inaugural lecture, University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.
- Ranganathan S.R. (1963)., The Five Laws of Library Science., 2nd ed. Bombay: Asia Publishing House, (Ranganathan Series in Library Science, no. 12).
- Saale L.B. (2014)., Prayer and Social transformation in Nigeria: A Christian perspective., African Research Review, 8(4), 111-121. http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/afrrev.v8i4.9.