Emerging ICT technologies and the academic libraries
- 1Department of Library and Information Science, Swami Vivekananda Subharti University, Meerut-25005, UP, India
- 2Department of Library and Information Science, Swami Vivekananda Subharti University, Meerut-25005, UP, India
Res. J. Library Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 22-27, January,21 (2019)
The Information Communication Technology (ICT) has revolutionized with new emerging technologies day by day. This revolution has also brought drastic changes into the academic libraries. Information communication Technology in academic libraries is used to save the operating cost, to make repetitive housekeeping operations more effective and efficient to save time and as well as to provide access to huge number of resources to the library patrons. ICT has helped the libraries to upgrade the efficiency of academic libraries. The revolutionary development in ICT has facilitated to provide access to library resources 24 x 7 as well as remote access. How the ICT has been or may be applied in academic libraries to provide and maximize the web enabled information services to the patrons as well as improve the internal working of the library is the purpose of this paper.
- Tiwari M.S., Tiwari N. and Sharma R. (2015)., Information & communication technology in academic libraries: how they are important today?., International Journal of Applied Research, 1(11), 668-672. Retrieved from http://www.allresearchjournal.com/archives/ 2015/ vol1issue11/PartJ/1-10-107.pdf
- Reddy A.H. (2013)., Web Based Information Services for Academic Environment: An Overview., International Journal of Library and Information Studies, 3(1), 102-106. ISSN: 2231-4911. Retrieved from http://www.ijlis.org/img/ 2013_Vol_3_Issue_1/102-106.pdf
- Mittal A. (2017)., Emerging Technologies and their Impact on the Libraries., Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 10(31), 1-4. doi: 10.17485/ijst/ 2017/v10i31/ 113915
- Mathew K.S. (2018)., Impact of Information Communication Technology (ICT) on professional development and educational needs of library professionals in the universities of Kerala., (Unpublished Doctoral dissertation) Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin-682022.
- Sivakumaren K., Geetha V. and Jeyaprakash B. (2011)., ICT Facilities in University Libraries: A Study., Library Philosophy and Practice. ISSN 1522-0222. Retrieved from https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.co.in/&httpsredir=1&article=1660&context=libphilprac
- Sangale D. (2015)., ICT Application and Web based services in Library and Information Science., ASM'S INTERNATIONAL E-Journal on ongoing Research in Management and IT, 1-6. e-ISSN-2320-0065.
- Bolan K. and Rob C. (2007)., Web, library, and teen services 2.0., Young Adult Library Services, 5(2), 40-43.
- Madhusudhan M. and Nagabhushanam V. (2012)., Use of web-based library services in select university libraries in India: a study., International Journal of Library and Information Studies, 2(1), 1-20. ISSN: 2231-4911. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/ download? doi=10.1.1.718.7873&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Igwe P. (1986)., The electronic age and libraries: Present problems and future prospects., International Library Review, 18(1), 75-84. doi: 10.1016/s0020-7837(86)80009-7
- Sood M. (2016)., A Review of Library Services with the introduction of ICT in Libraries., International Journal of Research in Library Science, 2(1), 83-90. ISSN: 2455-104X. Retrieved from http://www.ijrls.in/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/A-Review-of-Library-Services-with-the-introduction-of-ICT-in-Libraries.pdf
- Arora J. (2009)., Library 2.0: Innovative technologies for building libraries of tomorrow., INFLIBNET Centre, 49-65. Retrieved from http://ir.inflibnet.ac.in:8080/ir/bitstream/1944/1460/1/5.pdf
- Kataria S. and Anbu K.J. (2009)., Applications of Web 2.0 in the Enhancement of Services and Resource in Academic Libraries: An Experiment JIIT University Noida, India., Paper Presented At International Conference On Academic Libraries, University of Delhi, India, 583-589. Retrieved from http://crl.du.ac.in/ical09/papers/index_files/ical-98_130_287_1_RV.pdf
- Jagjeevan V.K. (2017)., Unit 7 Web-Based Services., 152-168. http://egyankosh.ac.in//handle/ 123456789/34888 04/04/2018 04/04/2018
- Baro E.E., Joyce Ebiagbe E. and Zaccheaus Godfrey V. (2013)., Web 2.0 tools usage: a comparative study of librarians in university libraries in Nigeria and South Africa., Library Hi Tech News, 30(5), 10-20. doi: 10.1108/lhtn-04-2013-0021
- Madhusudhan M. and Nagabhushanam V. (2012)., Web-based library services in university libraries in India: an analysis of librarians, The Electronic Library, 30(5), 569-588. doi: 10.1108/02640471211275657
- Rehman A. and Shafique F. (2011)., Use of web 2.0 and its implications for libraries: Perceptions of information professionals in Pakistan., Library Philosophy and Practice. ISSN 1522-0222. Retrieved from https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1655&context=libphilprac
- Bhardwaj R. and Kaushik S. (2013)., An Institutional Repository for Undergraduate Students: a Case Study at St. Stephen, Legal Information Management, 13(01), 52-62. doi: 10.1017/s1472669613000108