Electron Transport in Zigzag Silicon and Silicon Mono-Oxide Nanoribbons: Ab initio study
- 1Computational Nanoionics Research Lab, Department of Applied Physics, FET-SSGI, Shri Shankaracharya Technical Campus, Junwani, Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India, 490020
- 2Department of Applied Physics, Uday Prasad Uday Government Polytechnic-Durg, Chhattisgarh, India
Res. J. Physical Sci., Volume 4, Issue (5), Pages 1-7, June,4 (2016)
Graphene and single layer silicon (silicene) are supposed to have excellent electronic properties. A theoretical study on zigzag silicon and silicon mono-oxide nanoribbons has been performed in honeycomb structures within the framework of density functional theory (DFT). There exist theoretical studies on mono-layer buckled silicon but not on silicon mono-oxide. In this paper we have tried to present a comparative study of the structural, electronic and transport properties of zigzag silicene nanoribbon and zigzag silicon mono-oxide nanoribbon. A first principle approach has been made for the structural optimization of silicene and silicon mono-oxide nanoribbon followed by electronic properties study viz. density of states, charge densities and finally transports properties like transmission energy and I-V characteristics prominently.
- Cahangirov S., Topsakal M., Akturk E., Şahin H. and Ciraci S., (2009)., Two-and one-dimensional honeycomb structures of silicon and germanium., Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 236804.
- Zhang Y., Yan-Wen Tan, Stormer H.L. and Kim P., (2005)., Experimental observation of the quantum Hall effect and Berry, Nature London 438, 201-4.
- Takeda K. and Shiraishi K., (1994)., Theoretical possibility of stage corrugation in Si and Ge analogs of graphite., Phys. Rev., B 50, 14916.
- Durgun E., Tongay S. and Ciraci S., (2005)., Silicon and III-V compound nanotubes: Structural and electronic properties., Phys. Rev., B 72, 075420.
- Cho Ko Heung, Baca Alfred J. and A. Rogers Bulk John, (2006)., Quantities of Single-Crystal Silicon Micro-/Nanoribbons Generated from Bulk Wafers., Nano letters, Vol. 6, No. 10, 2318-2324.
- www.uam.es/siesta., undefined, undefined
- Perdew J.P. and Ernzerhof K.M., (1996)., Generalized Gradient Approximation Made Simple., Phys. Rev. let., 77 3865-3868.
- Jaffe J.E., Snyder J.A., Lin Z. and Hess A.C., (2000)., LDA and GGA calculations for high-pressure phase transitions in ZnO and MgO., Phys. Rev., B.62 1660-1665.
- Zhu X. and Louie S.G., (1991)., Quasiparticle band structure of thirteen semiconductors and insulators., Phys. Rev., B 43 14142.
- Li Z.Y. and Daniel S.K., (2006), Dithiocarbamate anchoring in molecular wire junctions: a first principles study., J Phys Chem B, 110 (20), 9893–9898.
- Trivedi S., Srivastava A. and Kurchania R., (2013)., Electronic and transport properties of Silicene nanoribbon., J Comput Theor Nanosci, 11, 789–794.
- Srivastava Anurag, Jain Sumit Kumar and Khare Purnima Swarup, (2014)., Ab-initio study of structural, electronic, and transport properties of zigzag GaP nanotubes., J Mol Model, 20, 2171.
- Brandbyge M., Mozos J.L., Ordejón, Taylor J. and Stokbro K., (2002)., Density-functional method for nonequilibrium electron transport., Phys. Rev. B, vol. 65, p. 165401 1-17.
- Şahin H., Cahangirov S., Topsakal M., Bekaroglu E., Akturk E., Senger R.T. and Ciraci S., (2009)., Monolayer honeycomb structures of group-IV elements and III-V binary compounds: First-principles calculations., Physical Review, B 80, 155453.
- Reed M.A., Chen J., Rawlett A.M., Price D.W. and Tour J.M., (2001)., Molecular Random Access Memories., App. Phys. Lett., 78, 3735–3737.
- Husband C.P., Husband S.M., Daniels J.S. and Tour J.M., (2003)., Logic and Memory with Nanocell Circuits., IEEE T. on Electron Dev., 50, 1865–1975.
- Quek S.Y., Neaton J.B., Hybertsen M.S., Kaxiras E. and Louie S.G., (2007)., Negative Differential Resistance in Transport through Organic Molecules on Silicon., Phys. Rev. Lett., 98, 066807.
- Gibbs G.V., Hamil M.M. and Louisnathan S.J., (1972)., Correlations between si-o bond length, si-o-si angle and bond overlap populations calculated using extended huckel molecular orbital theory., American Minerologist, Vol. 57, pp. 1578-1613.
- Ravindran P. and Asokamani R., (1997)., Correlation between electronic structure, mechanical properties and phase stability in intermetallic compounds., Bull.Mat.Sci.,Vol.20 No.4, pp.613-622.
- Cahangirov S., Topsakal M., Akturk E., Şahin H. and Ciraci S., (2009)., Two-and one-dimensional honeycomb structures of silicon and germanium., Phys. Rev. Lett., 102, 236804.
- Lei Li, Anton Kovalchuk, and James M. Tour, (2014)., SnO2–reduced graphene oxide nanoribbons as anodes for lithium ion batteries with enhanced cycling stability., Nano Research, 7(9): 1319–1326.