Effects of extracts of anchomanes difformis on haematological parameters of albino wistar rats
- 1Department of Human Physiology, College of Medicine, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria
- 2Department of Community Medicine, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, Anambra State, Nigeria
- 3Department of Human Physiology, College of Health Sciences, University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
- 4Health Promotion Unit, Adolescent Rights and Care Foundation, Owerri, Nigeria
- 5Department of Human Physiology, College of Medicine & Health Sciences, Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria
- 6Department of Human Physiology, College of Medicine, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria
- 7Department of Human Physiology, College of Medicine, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria
- 8Department of Medical Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Imo State University, Owerri, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Medical Sci., Volume 5, Issue (3), Pages 1-6, May,28 (2017)
This study evaluated the effects of hydro-methanol extracts of Anchomanes difformis on haematological parameters of male albino wistar rats. Twenty adult rats, weighing 150 g to 200 g, divided into 4 groups of 5 rats each were used for the study that lasted for 6 weeks. Group 1 which served as the control received normal rat feed and normal saline ad libitum while the test groups 2, 3, and 4 received 100, 200, and 300 mg/kg body weight of the extracts respectively, in addition to the normal rat chow and water ad libitum. Ether was used to anaesthetize the rats at the end of the second, fourth and sixth weeks respectively, and via cardiac puncture, blood samples were collected from all the rats in each group and analyzed for white blood cell (WBC) count, red blood cell (RBC) count, haemoglobin (HGB) concentration, haematocrit (HCT) count, lymphocyte (LYM) count, platelet (PLT) count and the calculated blood indices (MCV, MCH, MCHC). The results showed statistically significant dose dependent increase in WBC, LYM and PLT at the end of the second and fourth weeks compared to control (p<0.05). After the second week, MCHC also increased significantly while MCH decreased (p<0.05) compared to control. At the end of the sixth week, there were statistically significant reductions in HGB and HCT while MCHC and PLT increased marginally (p<0.05) compared to control. In conclusion, hydro-methanol extracts of Anchomanes difformis increased the levels of most of the haematological indices of male rats in first 2-4 weeks of administrations, followed by a steady decline of the blood indices assayed for at the end of the sixth week. Anchomanes difformis should therefore be used with caution especially on long term basis as it may depress haemopoesis.
- Baquar S.R. (1995)., The Role of Traditional Medicine in Rural Environment., Traditional Medicine in Africa. Issaq, S. (Ed.). East African Educational Publishers Ltd, Nairobi, 140-152.
- Gilani Anwannil H. and Atta R. (2005)., Trends in ethnopharmacology., J.Ethnopharmacol, 100(1-2), 43-49.
- Schneider E. (2001). Forword, In G.D.Pamplona-Roger(Ed). Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants, Editorial Safeliz, S.L., Madrid, Spain.
- Okeke I.N., Lamikanra A. and Edelman R. (1999)., Socioeconomic and behavioural factors leading to acquired bacterial resistance to antibiotics in developing countries., Emerg. Infect. Dis., 5(1), 18-27.
- Hack S.K. (2006)., Do not put too much value on conventional medicine., J. Ethnopharmacol., 100, 37-39.
- Sofowora A. (2008)., Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine in Africa., 3rd Edition. Spectrum Books Limited, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Hamburger M. and Hostettmann K. (1991)., Bioactivity in plants: The link between phytochemistry and medicine., Phytochemistry, 30(12), 3864-3874.
- Schuster B.G. (2001)., A new integrated programme for natural products development and the value of an ethnomedical approach., J. Altern. Complement.Med., 7(1), 61-72.
- Liu Y. and Wang M.W. (2008)., Botanical drugs: challenges and opportunities: Contribution to Linnaeus Memorial Symposium 2007., Life Sci., 82(9), 445-449.
- Kochnar S.L. (1981)., Tropical crops: A text book of economy botany., MacMillan publishers limited, London, 268-271.
- Ataman E.J. and Idu M. (2015)., Renal effects of Anchomanes difformis crude extracts in wistar rats., Avicena Journal of phytomedicine., 5(1), 17-25.
- Akah P.A. and Njike H.A. (1990)., Some pharmacological effects of rhizome aqueous extract of Anchomanes difformis., Fitoterapia, 61, 368-370.
- Oliver B. (1960)., Medicinal plants in Nigeria. Nigeria College of Arts, Science and Technology, Ibadan., 95.
- Burkill H.M. (1994)., The Useful Plants of West Africa., 2nd Edition., 196-197.
- Oyetayo V.O. (2007)., Comparative Studies of Phytochemical and Antimicrobial Properties of the leaf, Stem, and Tuber of Anchomanes difformis., Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 2(4), 407-410.
- Egwurugwu J.N., Nwafor A., Chinko B.C., Ugoeze K.C., Uchefuna R.C., Ohamaeme M.C. and Ebuenyi M.C. (2016)., Effects of Extracts of Anchomanes difformis on Female Sex Hormones: Preliminary Results., Asian Journal of Medicine and Health, 6, 1-9.
- Idowu D., Adebiyi A., Olajide O., Afolayan M., Orishadipe A., Omojola M. and Sunday T. (2012)., Phytochemical, antioxidant and cytotoxicity properties of Anchomanes difformis (Bl.) Engl. tuber extract., International Journal of Applied Chemistry, 8(3), 173-181.
- Osuntokun O.T. (2015)., Bioactivity and Phytochemical Screening of Nigerian Medicinal Plants Growing in Ondo and Ekiti State against Bacterial Isolates from Pediatrics Hospital., Journal of Advances in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4(2), 1-14.
- Chukwurah B.K.C. and Ajali U. (2000)., Antimicrobial Investigation of the constituents of the methanol extract of the rhizomes of Anchmonaes difformis, ENGL., Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 62(4), 296-299.
- Almeida R., Navarro D.S. and Barbosa-Filho J.M. (2001)., Plants with central analgesic activity., Phytomedicine, 8(4), 310-322.
- Asgary S., Naderi G.H. and Askari N. (2005)., Protective effect of flavonoids against red blood cell hemolysis by free radicals., Exp. Clin. Cardiol., 10(2), 88-90.
- Chonthida T., Kanjana P., Maitree S. and Somdet S. (2013)., Anti-oxidant properties and anti-hemolytic activity of Psidium guajava, Pandanous odorus and Rhinacanthus nasutus., Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 7(27), 2001-2009.
- Thomas D.W., Thomas J.M., Bromley W.A. and Mbenkum F.T. (1989)., Korup ethnobotany survey. Final Report to the World Wide Fund for Nature., Panda House, Weyside Park, Godalming, Survey, U.K..
- Zapfack L., Ayeni J.S.O., Besong S. and Mdaihli M. (2001)., Ethnobotanical survey of the takamanda forest reserve., Consultancy Report Submitted to: Profa (MINEF-GTZ); Mamfe Province SW, Cameroon.
- Akinkurolere RO. (2007)., Assessment of the insecticidal properties of Anchomanes difformis (P. Beauv.) powder on five beetles of stored produce., J. Entomol, 4, 51-55.
- Canadian Council of Animal Care (1985)., Guide to the handling and use of experimental animals., NIH publications, Ottawa, Canada, 23, 45-47.
- Harborne J.B. (1998)., Phytochemical methods: A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis., 3rd Edition.. Chapman and Hill. London.
- Odebiyi O.O. and Sofowora A.E. (1978)., Phytochemical screening of Nigerian medicinal plants., Lloydia, 41(3), 234-246.
- Trease G.E. and Evans W.C. (1989)., Pharmacognosy., 11th edn., Bailliere Tindall, London. 45-50.
- Plowman T. (1969)., Folk uses of new world aroids., Econ Bot, 23(2), 97-122.
- Joane B., Habib G., Marie-Caroline J., Michel F., Fernand G., Patrick D., Mansourou M. and Joelle Q. (2009)., Invitro antiplasmodial activity of plants used in Benin in traditional medicine to treat malaria., J. Ethnopharmacol, 122(3), 439-444.
- Hall J.E. (2012)., Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology, 12th Edition., Elsevier Saunders, New Delhi, India.
- Sembulingam K. And Sembulingam P. (2012)., Essentials of Medical Physiology, 6th edition., Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi.
- Eneojo A.S., Egwari L.O. and Mosaku T.O. (2011)., In vitro Antimicrobial Screening on Anchomanes difformis (Blume) Engl. Leaves and Rhizomes Against Selected Pathogens of Public Health Importance., Advances in Biological Research, 5(4), 221-225.
- Tchiakpe L., Balansard G., Benard P. and Placidi M. (1980)., Chemical and toxicological study of Anchomanes difformis (Engl)., Herba hungarica, 19, 55-64.
- Okpo S.O., Ozolua R., Ching F.P. and Eze G.O. (2013)., Acute and short term toxicity studies on the aqueous extract of Anchomanes difformis., Nig. Journ. Pharm. Sci., 12(2), 01-10.
- Ganong W.F. (2005)., Review of Medical Physiology., 23th Edition, New York, USA.