Physical Activity level among Medical Education Students
- 1College of Physiotherapy, Mother Theresa PG & Research Institute of Health Sciences, Government. of Puducherry, India
- 2Vels University, Chennai, India
Int. Res. J. Medical Sci., Volume 4, Issue (9), Pages 17-19, September,28 (2016)
Obesity is a major Non Communicable Disease (NCD), with physical activity as an important factor influencing it. Objectives include finding out body mass index and finding out the level of Physical activity using Saltin Grim by Physical Activity Level Scale (SGPALS) among 182 students. The findings indicated that level of Physical activity was low among the subjects and there was a weak correlation between BMI and Physical activity level.
- Michael O. Leavitt. (2008)., Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans., Available from htpp:// Health.gov /paguidelines/pdf/paguide.pdf, Accessed on 03/01/2016.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2014)., Diet and Physical Activity Guideline., Available from net library htpp://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/pa/en. Accessed on 03/01/2016.
- Grimby G. et.al. (2015)., The ”Saltin-Grimby Physical Activity Level Scale” and its application to health research., Sc. and J Med Sci Sports., 25 Suppl 4, 119-125.
- Rodger L. et. al. (2012)., Self-reported leisure time physical activity: a useful assessment tool in everyday health care., BMC Public Health., 12, 693. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-12-693.
- Saltin B. and Grimby G. (1968)., Physiological analysis of middle-aged and old former athletes. Comparison with still active athletes of the same ages., Circulation., 38, 1104-1115.
- U. S. Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2016)., Healthy weight, Body Mass Index (BMI)., Available from net library http://www.cdc.gov/health yweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/ Accessed on 03/01/2016.
- Must. A. et. al. (2006)., Body mass index in children and adolescents: considerations for population-based applications., International Journal of Obesity, 30, 590-594, doi:10.1038.
- Supriya K. Vinod (2015)., A study to assess the level of Physical activity in young adults at puducherry., PJN, 8(1), 30.
- D, The Olivetti Heart Study: Predictive value of a new adiposity index on risk of hypertension, blood pressure, and subclinical organ damage., Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis., Apr 4., S0939-4753(16)30006-0.
- Sloan J.A. (2016)., Impact of self-reported physical activity and health promotion behaviors on lung cancer survivorship., Health Qual Life Outcomes., 14(1), 66, doi: 10.1186/s12955-016-0461-3.
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2016)., Non Communicable Diseases Report., Chapter 1 – Burden: mortality, morbidity and risk factors, pages 9, 22-24. Available from http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd _report _chapter1.pdf . Accessed on 05/01/2016.