Non-Surgical Treatments of Skeletal class III Malocclusion with Sever Anterior Cross Bite: A Case Report
- 1Orthodontic Unit, School of Dental Sciences, Health Campus, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia
- 2Orthodontic Unit, School of Dental Sciences, Health Campus, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia
- 3Orthodontic Unit, School of Dental Sciences, Health Campus, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia
Int. Res. J. Medical Sci., Volume 4, Issue (12), Pages 1-4, December,28 (2016)
Improvement in facial aesthetics is the primary reason of patients approaching for orthodontic treatment. Skeletal class III is one of the types of skeletal dysplasia which is often associated with excessive mandibular growth, maxillary deficiency in sagittal plane and vertical plane. Severe skeletal discrepancy often needs assistance of surgical orthodontics in non-growing patients. However, orthodontic camouflage is one of the options for the treatment of such cases. This case report presents a 22 year non growing male with severe skeletal class III associated with maxillary anterior cross-bite, with unpleasant smile and excessive protracted mandible. Treatment involved use of camouflage fixed orthodontic treatment along with posterior bite plan for retraction of anterior mandibular dentoalvolar segment.
- Sarver D.M. and Proffit W.R. (2003)., In: Contemporary Treatment of Dentofacial Deformity., Mosby, 507.
- Vig K.D. and Ellis E. (1990)., Diagnosis and treatment planning for the surgical-orthodontic patient,, Dent Clin North Am, 34, 361–84.
- Sinclair P.M. (1988)., Orthodontic considerations in adult surgical orthodontic cases,, Dent Clin North Am, 32, 509–28.
- Phillips C. and Proffit W.R. (2003)., Psychosocial aspects of dentofacial deformity and its treatment., In: Proffit WR, White RP Jr, Sarver DM, editors. Contemporary Treatment of Dentofacial Deformity. St. Louis: Mosby, 69
- Rabie A.B., Wong R.W. and Min G.U. (2008)., Treatment in borderline class III malocclusion: orthodontic camouflage (extraction) versus orthognathic surgery., The Open Dentistry Journal, 2, 38–48.
- Alam M.K. and Sikder M.A. (2013)., Orthodontic treatment of Class III malocclusion (Case series),, Bangladesh Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, 2(1), 26-27.
- Bahaa O., Khamis M.F., Alam M.K. and Mokhtar N. (2014)., Comparative Cephalometric Analyses between Class III and Class I Malocclusion of Malay Females., International Medical Journal, 21(3), 283-286.
- Bruna Alves Furquim, Karina Maria Salvatore de Freitas, Guilherme Janson, Luis Fernando Simoneti, Marcos Roberto de Freitas, and Daniel Salvatore de Freitas (2014)., Class III Malocclusion Surgical-Orthodontic Treatment,, Case Reports in Dentistry, vol. 2014, Article ID 868390, 9 pages, 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/868390.