Ductility and stiffness property evaluation for coconut fibre reinforced composite
- 1Mechanical Engineering Department, Lagos State University, Nigeria
- 2Mechanical Engineering Department, Lagos State University, Nigeria
- 3Mechanical Engineering Department, Lagos State University, Nigeria
- 4Chemical Engineering Department, Lagos State University, Nigeria
- 5Mechanical Engineering Department, Lagos State University, Nigeria
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 8, Issue (1), Pages 24-28, February,16 (2020)
The ductility and stiffness properties of the coconut coir with reinforced epoxy resin were carried out. Specimen containing fibre lengths of 5mm, 10mm and 15mm were moulded and treated with alkali (NAOH) and also not treating the fibre with alkali. The samples were prepared in accordance with ASTM standard D3039. An Instron machine was used to do the tensile tests of the samples. The tensile test machine has an electro-mechanical sensor used for purpose of controlling the strain in the test pieces. The results show that the deflection of the composite coir is associated with the ductility of the material. the ductility of the composite is significantly influence by the increasing length of the fibre content. The material deflection ratio is more in the treated fibre compared with the untreated fibre. This is however not well pronounced in the 5 mm fibre content. The study provides the understanding the relationship between the deflection of the material and the load applied during application for purpose of deducing the ductility properties of such material.
- Varma I.K., Ananthakrishnan S.R. and Krishnamoorthi S. (1989)., Composites of glass/modified jute fabric and unsaturated polyester resin., Composites, 20(4), 383-388.
- Joseph K., Thomas S. and Pavithran C. (1996)., Effect of chemical treatment on the tensile properties of short sisal fibre-reinforced polyethylene composites., Polymer, 37(23), 5139-5149.
- Sreekala M.S., Kumaran M.G. and Thomas S. (1997)., Oil palm fibers: Morphology, chemical composition, surface modification, and mechanical properties., Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 66(5), 821-835.
- Geethamma V.G., Mathew K.T., Lakshminarayanan R. and Thomas S. (1998)., Composite of short coir fibres and natural rubber: effect of chemical modification, loading and orientation of fibre., Polymer, 39(6-7), 1483-1491.
- Rao K.M.M. and Rao K.M. (2007)., Extraction and tensile properties of natural fibers: Vakka, date and bamboo., Composite structures, 77(3), 288-295.
- Ismail L., Ghazali M.I., Mahzan S. and Zaidi A.A. (2010)., Sound absorption of Arenga Pinnata natural fiber., World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 67, 804-806.
- Pothan L.A., Oommen Z. and Thomas S. (2003)., Dynamic mechanical analysis of banana fiber reinforced polyester composites., Composites Science and technology, 63(2), 283-293.
- Ali M. (2011)., A versatile material and its applications in engineering., Journal of Civil Engineering and Construction Technology, 2(9), 189-197.
- Zulkifi R. and Mohd Nor M.J. (2010)., Noise control using coconut coir fibre sound absorber with porous layer backing and perforated panel., American journal of applied sciences, 7(2), 260-264.
- Shiney A. and Premlet B. (2014)., Acoustic properties of composite coir mats., IOSR Journal of Applied Physics, 6(3), 18-23.
- Yahya M.N., Sambu M., Latif H.A. and Junaid T.M. (2017)., A study of acoustics performance on natural fibre composite., Material science and engineering, 226, 1-7. doi:10.1088/1757-899X/226/1/012013
- Jayavani S., Harekrishna D., Varghese T.O., Nayak S.K. (2016)., Recent development and future trends in coir fiber‐reinforced green polymer composites: Review and evaluation., Polymer composite, 37(11), 3296-3309. https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.23529
- Idicula M., Boudenne A., Umadevi L., Ibos L., Candau Y. and Thomas S. (2006)., Thermophysical properties of natural fibre reinforced polyester composites., Composites science and technology, 66(15), 2719-2725.
- Sapuan S.M., Harimi M. and Maleque A.M. (2003)., Mechanical Properties of Epoxy/Coconut Shell Filler Particle Composites., The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 28, 171-181.
- Abdul N. and Mir Safiulla (2018)., A Review on Secondary Process of Hot Extrusion on Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite., Mater Sci., 4(4), 1-6. 555642. DOI: 10.19080/JOJMS.2018.04.555642.
- Gelfuso M.V., Thomazini D., Souza J.C.S.D. and Lima Junior J.J.D. (2014)., Vibrational analysis of coconut fiber-PP composites., Materials Research, 17(2), 367-372. Dhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1516-1439201300500020