Studies on flame retardant vinyl ester resin
- 1Department of Materials Science, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India
- 2Department of Materials Science, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 7-12, February,16 (2017)
Vinyl ester resins are widely used for coating purpose and well known for their excellent anti-corrosive, anti-oxidative properties. Traditional vinyl-esters are generally synthesized by reacting unsaturated monocarboxylic acid with epoxy in resinous form in the presence of tertiary amines as a catalyst. In the present work a flame-retardant vinyl ester resin has been prepared by reacting epoxy resin based on Tris m-hydroxy phenyl phosphate (THPP) with methacrylic acid in presence of triethyl amine as catalyst and hydroquinone as an inhibitor. This polymer was characterized by chemical analysis, elemental analysis, FTIR and NMR Spectroscopy (1H, 13C and 31P).This vinyl ester was further reacted with styrene in presence of an initiator for certain time period. The resultant polymer was used for coating purpose in neat form as well as in the form of blend with epoxy resin. Various coating properties like hardness, adhesion, flexibility, chemical resistancy of the coated panels have been found out. The polymer shows flame-retardancy as well as good scratch hardness and chemical resistance properties.
- Launikitis Matthew B. (1982)., Vinyl Ester resins, Handbook of Composites., Springer US, 38-49, ISBN 978-1-4615-7141-4.
- Patel R.H. and Patel H.B. (2007)., Property modification of conventional castor oil based polyurethane using novel flame retardant polyurethane., Prajna Journal of pure and applied science, 15, 66-76.
- Rosu L., Cascaval C.N. and Rosu D. (2009)., Effect of UV radiation on some polymeric networks based on vinyl ester resin and modified lignin., Polymer Testing, 28(3), 296-300.
- Shukla P. and Shrivastava D. (2014)., Reaction kinetics of esterification of phenol-cardanol based epoxidized resins and methacrylic acid., International Journal of Plastic Technology, 18(1), 1-15.
- Patel R.H., Shah M.D. and Patel H.B. (2011)., Synthesis and Characterization of structurally modified Polyurethanes based on castor oil and Phosphorous-containing Polyol for Flame-retardant coating., International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, 16(2), 107-117.
- Patel R.H., Patel H.B. and Shah M.D. (2009)., Synthesis, Characterization and properties of flame-retardant Polyurethanes., International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, 14(6), 563-568.
- Patel R.H. and Patel K.S. (2012)., Synthesis and characterization of Polyesterurethanes and their applications to Flame-retardant coatings., International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, 17(1), 85-92