Synthesis, characterization and catalytic application of MgO supported metal catalysts in synthesis of dihydropyrimidinone
- 1Department of Chemistry, St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa, Goa – 403507, India
- 2Department of Chemistry, St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa, Goa – 403507, India
- 3Department of Chemistry, St. Xavier’s College, Mapusa, Goa – 403507, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 5, Issue (2), Pages 1-6, February,16 (2017)
In the present investigation, syntheses of different metal supported MgO catalysts have been envisaged. Samples have been prepared by two different ways viz.; (a) Sol-gel self propagating low temperature combustion method for synthesis of Ni/MgO, Co/MgO and Ru/MgO catalysts and (b) Impregnation method for synthesis of 20% Ni/MgO and 20% Co/MgO catalysts samples were characterized using instrumental techniques such as XRD, SEM, FT-IR, BET analysis. XRD data reveals that samples possess particle size of 8.420 nm and 17.439 nm at 2 Q values of 43.137 and 49.955 respectively. The SEM micrographs shows that the particles possesses irregular shape and are generally random, non-uniform manner with particle size approximately <100 nm . All the catalysts supported on MgO are found as amorphous in nature. The IR spectra gives fundamental band for Mg-O at 1384 cm-1 and for Mg –O stretching at 911 cm-1 confirms the formation of MgO support. The BET analysis depicts the surface area of 91.1 m2/gm with pore radius of 2.12 nm. The adsorption isotherm follows the micro porous structure of the prepared samples. The catalytic activity of the Ni/Mgo and Co/MgO has been investigated for the Biginelli reaction for synthesis of dihydropyrimidinone. The supported catalysts were found to be active for synthesis of dihydropyrimidinone. Co/MgO supported catalyst gave better yield (> 60 %) as compared to Ni /MgO support.
- Andache M., Rezaei M. and Moghadam M.K. (2013)., A nanocrystalline MgO support for Ni catalysts for steam reforming of CH4., Chinese Journal of catalysts, 34(7), 1443-1448.
- Zhang Y., Tang Y.H., Zhang E.L., Lin L.W. and Pei L.Z. (2010)., Preparation of Ni/MgO catalysts for carbon nanofibres by a self- propagating low temperature combustion process., Materials Science-Poland, 28(4), 805-815.
- Zhang M., Ma H. and Gao Z. (2015)., Phase composition of Ni/Mg1-xNixO as a catalyst prepared for selective methanation of CO in H2-rich gas., Journal of nanomaterials, 16(1), 1-10. Article ID790857, 1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/790857
- Hu S., Xue M., Chen H. and Shen J. (2010)., The effect of surface acidic and basic properties on the hydrogenation of aromatic rings over the supported nickel catalysts., Chemical Engineering Journal, 162(1), 371-379.
- Wen G., Xu Y., Xu Z. and Tian Z. (2009)., Characterization and catalytic properties of the Ni/Al2O3 catalysts for aqueous-phase reforming of glucose., Catalyts letter, 129(1), 250-257.
- Garcia S.R. and Assaf J.M. (2012)., Effect of the preparation method on Co/Al2O3 catalyst applied to ethanol steam reforming reaction production of hydrogen., Modern Research in Catalysis, 1(3), 52-57.
- Abudukelimu N., Xi H., Gao Z., Zhang Y., Ma Y., Mamat X. and Eli W. (2015)., Preparation and characterisation of Ru/Al2O3 catalysts by adsorption-precipitation-activation method and selective hydrogenation of Dimethyl maleate to Dimethyl Succcinate., Material Science and Engineering with Advanced Research., 1(1), 31-37.
- Lopez T., Garcia-Cruz I. and Gomez R. (1994)., Spectroscopic study of Pt/MgO catalysts prepared by the sol-gel method., Materials Chemistry and Physics, 36(3-4), 222-230.
- Jianwen D. and Shikong S. (2000)., Effects of preparation method on the catalytic properties of Ba/MgO catalyst in oxidation coupling of methane., Journal of Natural Gas Chemistry, 9(3), 231-236.
- Babaie M. and Sheibani H. (2011)., Nanosized magnesium oxide as a highly effective heterogeneous base catalyst for the rapid synthesis of pyranopyrazoles via a tandem four-component reaction., Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 4(2), 159-162.
- Mohammadzadeh I., Bavafa M. and Sheibani H. (2013)., A Fast One-Pot Multi-Component Synthesis Of 3,4-Dihydropyrimidin-2(1h)-ones In The Presence Of Magnesium Oxide As A Highly Effective Heterogeneous Base Catalyst., Revue Roumaine De Chimie, 58(9-10), 773-777.
- Zare A., Hasaninejad A., Khalafi-Nezhad A., Ahmad R., Moosavi Z. and Abolfath P. (2007)., Organic reactions in ionic liquids: MgO as efficient and reusable catalyst for the Michael addition of sulfonamides to α,β-unsaturated esters under microwave irradiation., ARKIVOC , 13, 105-115.
- Phucho I.T., Nongpiur A., Tumtin S., Nongrum R. and Nongkhlaw R.L. (2009)., Recent progress in the chemistry of dihydropyrimidinones., Rasayan Journal Chem., 2(3), 662-676.
- Jagir S.S. (2012)., Past, present and future of the Biginelli reaction: a critical Perspective., ARKIVOC, 66-133.
- Wagh M.S., Patil A.M., Baviskar H. and Wagh M.M. (2015)., Preparation Of MgO Nanostructure Powder By Sol-Gel Method., International Journal of Chemical and Physical Sciences (IJCPS), 4, 115-117.
- Viswanathan B. (2009)., Catalysis: Selected Applications., Alpha Science.
- Wen G., Xu Y., Ma H., Xu Z. and Tian Z. (2008)., Production of hydrogen by aqueous-phase reforming of glycerol., International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33(22), 6657-6666.
- Shaaban E.R., Kaid M.A. and Ali M.G.S. (2014)., Xray analysis and optical properties of nickel oxide thin films., Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 613, 324-329.
- Fateme M., Rezaei M., Fereshteh M. and Zohreh F. (2015)., Carbon dioxide reforming of methane for syngas production over Co–MgO mixed oxide nanocatalysts., Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 21, 662-667.
- Qu H., Li X., Mo F. and Lin X. (2013)., Efficient synthesis of dihydropyrimidinones via a three-component Biginelli-type reaction of urea, alkylaldehyde and arylaldehyde., Beilstein J. Org. Chem., 9(1), 2846–2851.
- Peng J. and Deng Y. (2001)., Ionic liquids catalyzed Biginelli reaction under solvent-free Conditions., Tetrahedron Letters, 42(34), 5917–5919.
- Oliver Kappe C. (2000)., Recent Advances in the Biginelli Dihydropyrimidine Synthesis. New Tricks from an Old Dog., Acc. Chem. Res., 33(12), 879-888.
- Sahu P.K., Lal J., Thavaselvam D. and Agarwal D.D. (2012)., A facile green synthesis and in vitro antimicrobial activity 4H-pyrimido [2,1-b] [1,3] benzothiazole derivatives using aluminum trichloride under solvent free conditions., Medicinal Chemistry Research, 21(11), 3826–3834.
- Vasconcelos A., Oliveira P.S., Ritter M., Freitag R.A., Romano R.L., Quina F., Pizzuti L., Pereira C., Francieli M.S. and Alethéa G.B. (2012)., Antioxidant capacity and environmentally friendly synthesis of dihydropyrimidin-(2H)-ones promoted by naturally occurring organic acids., Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology, 26(4), 155-161.
- Hu Yun H. (2010)., Advances in Catalysts for CO2 Reforming of Methane., ACS Symposium Series, 155-174.
- Zhiming G., Lin C. and Hongwei M. (2016)., Selective methanation of CO over Ni/Al2O3 catalyst: Effects of preparation method and Ru addition., International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41(12), 5484-5493.