Review of the growth and implementation of carbon nanotubes as polymer reinforcement
- 1Department of Chemical Engineering, TKIET Warananagar, MS, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 5, Issue (1), Pages 7-9, January,16 (2017)
Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) have the potential use in the fabrication of new generation composites. As reinforcement, their sterling characteristics render the desirable features to resultant composites. Carbon Vapor Deposition (CVD) technique has been employed for the growth of CNTs either independently or on the substrate. Mechanics of the growth and working of CNTs are subject to scrutiny. Several effective parameters on the growth are taken under consideration and improvement in the mechanical strength is studied.
- Thostenson E.T., W.Z. Li, D.Z. Wang, Z.F. Ren and T.W. Chou (2002)., Carbon nanotube/carbon fiber hybrid multiscale composites., Journal of Applied physics, 91(9), 6034-6037.
- Kumar Mukul and Yoshinori Ando (2011)., Carbon nanotube synthesis and growth mechanism., INTECH Open Access Publisher.
- Qian Hui, Emile S. Greenhalgh, Milo S.P. Shaffer and Alexander Bismarck (2010)., Carbon nanotube-based hierarchical composites: a review., Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20(23), 4751-4762.
- Baughman Ray H., Anvar A. Zakhidov and Walt A. de Heer (2002)., Carbon nanotubes--the route toward applications., Science, 297.5582, 787-792.
- Mathur R.B., Sourav Chatterjee and Singh B.P. (2008)., Growth of carbon nanotubes on carbon fibre substrates to produce hybrid/phenolic composites with improved mechanical properties., Composites Science and Technology 68.7, 1608-1615.
- S. Zhu, C.H. Su, S.L. Lehoczky, I. Muntele, D. Ila (2003)., Carbon nanotube growth on carbon fibers., Diamond and Related Materials 12.10, 1825-1828.
- S.B. Sinnott, R. Andrews, D. Qian, A.M. Rao and Z. Mao (1999)., Model of carbon nanotube growth through chemical vapor deposition., Chemical Physics Letters 315.1, 25-30.
- Mark Hermann Rümmeli, Alicja Bachmatiuk, Felix Börrnert, Franziska Schäffel, Imad Ibrahim, Krzysztof Cendrowski, Grazyna Simha-Martynkova, Daniela Plachá, Ewa Borowiak-Palen, Gianaurelio Cuniberti and Bernd Büchner (2011)., Synthesis of carbon nanotubes with and without catalyst particles., Nanoscale research letters 6.1, 1.
- Q. Zhang, J. Liu, R. Sager, L. Dai, J. Baur (2009)., Hierarchical composites of carbon nanotubes on carbon fiber: influence of growth condition on fiber tensile properties., Composites Science and Technology, 69.5, 594-601.