Investigation of Gamma Radiation Shielding Materials
- 1Department of Physics, Haribhai V. Desai College, Pune-411002, Maharashtra, India
- 2Department of Physics, Haribhai V. Desai College, Pune-411002, Maharashtra, India
Res. J. Material Sci., Volume 4, Issue (3), Pages 15-16, April,16 (2016)
Shielding materials for nuclear gamma radiations are important in applied nuclear radiation fields such as nuclear radiation therapy, radiation health physics, nuclear reactors shielding, storage of radioactive materials etc. In addition, study of interactions of gamma radiations with different materials are also prime important in basic physics. In view of this, mass adsorption coefficients of gamma radiations for Aluminum, Lead, Teflon for Cs-137 gamma radiations are measured and results are reported in present work. Gamma mass absorption coefficients are calculated using NaI(Tl ) scintillation detector and 8K Multichannel Analyzer gamma ray spectrometer system. The values of gamma ray mass absorption coefficients for Aluminum, Lead and Teflon are found to be 17.12 cm2/gm , 0.43 cm2/gm , 16.80 cm2/gm . The results are in good agreement with the literature values.
- W.R. Leo (2013)., Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiment, Springer Publication, International Second revised Edition, Neywork.
- S. Sharma (2008)., Atomic and Nuclear Physics., Dorling kindeesley, Pearson Education, India.
- DC. Tayal (2008)., Nuclear Physics., Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai, India.
- S.S. Kapoor and V.S. Rammurthy (1986)., Nuclear Radiation Detectors New Age., International Publications, B.A.R.C. Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
- J. Hubbell and S. Seltzer (2009)., Tables of X-Rays mass attenuation coefficients and mass energy absorption coefficients from 1 keV to 20 MeV for Elements Z = 1 to 92and 48 Additional Substances of Dosimetric Interest, Radiation Physics Division PML, NISTIR 5632.