Diversity and Distribution of Intertidal Benthic Fauna at Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary of Dubai
- 1Coastal Zone Waterways and Management Section, Environment Department, Dubai Municipality, Dubai
- 2Natural Resources Conservation Section, Dubai Municipality, Dubai
- 3Coastal Zone Waterways and Management Section, Environment Department, Dubai Municipality, Dubai
Res. J. Marine Sci., Volume 4, Issue (7), Pages 1-8, August,13 (2016)
This research reports the diversity and population of intertidal benthic fauna from Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary a RAMSAR site of Dubai during January (winter season), 2015. The study was conducted at Ras Al Khor Wildlife Sanctuary (RAKWS) to assess the present status of the intertidal benthic fauna. Thirty one benthic fauna species belonging to 3 phylum representing 6 classes were recorded. Collections were made from 14 stations. The stations were divided into four (4) sectors, as results showed that major Polycheates were dominant at sector 1 and 4 in general, particularly at JSIB1, JSIB2, RSIB1 and RSIB2. However, (molluscan) gastropods and bivalves (to certain extent) were dominant at sector-2 followed by sector-4, 3 and 1. The results indicate that in RAKWS the dominance of inter-tidal benthic fauna is relatively high while the level of diversity is low.
- Vaghela A., Bhadja P., Ramoliya J., Patel N. and Kundu R. (2010)., Seasonal variations in the water quality, diversity and population ecology of intertidal macrofauna at an industrially influenced coast., Wat. Sci. and Tech., 61(6), 1505-1514.
- Twilley R.R., Poro M, Garcia V.H., Rivera-Monroy V.H., Zambrano R. and Bodero A. (1997)., Litter dynamics in riverine mangrove forests in the Guayas River Estuary, Ecuador., Oecologia, 111, 109-122.
- Lee S.Y. (1998)., Ecological role of grapsid crabs in mangrove ecosystems: A review., Mar. Fresh wat. Res., 49, 335-343.
- Dye A.H. and Lasiak T.A. (1986)., Microbenthos, meiobenthos and fiddler crabs: trophic interactions in a tropical mangrove sediment., Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 32, 259-267.
- Dye A.H. and Lasiak T.A. (1987)., Assimilation efficiencies of fiddler crabs and deposit-feeding gastropods from tropical mangrove sediments., Comp. Biochem. Physiol., 87A, 341-344.
- Rodelli M.R, Gearing J.N., Gearing P.J., Marshall N. and Sasekumar A. (1984)., Stable isotope ratios as a tracer of mangrove carbon in Malaysian ecosystems., Oecologia, 61, 326-333.
- France R. (1998)., Estimation the assimilation of mangrove detritus by fiddler crabs in Laguna Joyuda, Puerto Rico, using dual stable isotopes., J. Trop. Ecol., 14, 413-425.
- Plaziat J.C. (1984)., Mollusk distribution in the mangal., Por FD, Dor, I (eds) Hydrobiology of the mangal-ecosystem of the mangrove forests. Developments in Hydrobiology 20, The Hague, Junk Publishers, 111-143.
- Yipp M.W. (1980)., The distribution of ground-dwelling gastropods in a small mangrove stand in Hong Kong., Morton BS, Tseng CK (eds) Proceedings of the first international marine biological workshop: the marine flora and fauna of Hong Kong and Southern China. Hong Kong University Press, Hong Kong, 705-721.
- Day J.H. (1967)., A Monograph on the Polychaeta of Southern Africa, Part I (Errantia)& II (Sedentaria)., Trustees of the British Museum (Natural History), London. 878.
- Faiza Y. Al-Yamani, Valeriy S., Natalya B., Nikolai R., Mikhail M., Vladimir G. and Elena K. (2012)., Illustrated Atlas on the Zoobenthos of Kuwait., Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, 1-383, ISBN: 99906-41-40-4.
- Holme N.A. and McIntyre A.D. (1984)., Methods for the study of marine benthos., Blackwell Scientific Publication, Oxford., 334.
- Hassan A. (1989)., Study of the Vertebrate Fauna of Mangrove Swamps of Sindh Coast., PARC Final Report Zoological Survey Department, Karachi, Unpublished Report.
- Gratwicke B. and Speight M.R. (2005)., The relationship between fish species richness, abundance and habitat complexity in a range of shallow tropical marine habitats., J. Fish Biol., 66, 650-667.
- Almany G.R. (2004)., Does increased habitat complexity reduce predation and competition in coral reef fish assemblages., Oikos, 106, 275-284.
- Verweij M.C., Nagelkerken I., Wartenbergh S.L.J., Pen I.R. and van der Velde G. (2006)., Caribbean mangroves and seagrass beds as daytime feeding habitats for juvenile French grunts Haemulon flavolineatum., Mar. Biol., 149, 1291-1299.
- Malavasi R., Battisti C. and Carpaneto G.M. (2008)., Seasonal changes in bird assemblages of a remnant wetland in a Mediterranean landscape: Implications for management., Ornis. Hung., 17-18, 25-33.
- Kissling W.D., Sekercioglu C.H. and Jetz W. (2012)., Bird dietary guild richness across latitudes, environments and biogeographic regions., Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr., 21, 328-340.
- Correa D.A. and de Oliveira M. (2008)., Composition of the aquatic invertebrate fauna associated to the mangrove vegetation of a coastal river, analysed through a manipulative experiment., Pan-Am. J. Aquat. Sci. 3, 23-31.
- Wang M., Huang Z., Shi F. and Wang W. (2009)., Are vegetated areas of mangroves attractive to juvenile and small fish? The case of Dongzhaigang Bay, Hainan Island, China., Estuar Coast. Shelf. Sci., 85, 208-216.
- Tayefeh F.H., Zakaria M., de Marchi G., Amini H., Moradi, A., Ahmadpour P. and Ghasemi S. (2013)., Breeding biology of the Crab Plover (Dromas ardeola) on the Mond Islands, Northern Persian Gulf, Iran., Waterbirds, 36, 448-462.
- Saha N., Aditya G. and Saha G.K. (2009)., Habitat complexity reduces prey vulnerability: An experimental analysis using aquatic insect predators and immature dipteran prey., J. Asia-Pac. Entomol., 12, 233-239.
- Firstater F.N., Hidalgo F.J., Lomovasky B.J., Ramos E., Gamero P. and Iribarne O.O. (2011)., Habitat structure is more important than important than nutrient supply in modifying mussel bed assemblage in an upwelling area of the Peruvian coast., Helgol. Mar. Res., 65, 1879-196.
- Kovalenko K.E., Thomaz S.M. and Warfe D.M. (2012)., Habitat complexity: Approaches and future directions., Hydrobiologia, 685, 1-17.
- Kathiresan K. and Bingham B. L. (2001)., Biology of Mangroves and Mangrove Ecosystems., Advances in Marine Biology., 40, 84-254.
- Fuchs T. (2013)., Effects of habitat complexity on invertebrate biodiversity., Immed. Sci. Ecol., 2, 1-10.