Neglect of the Elderly in Bibhutibhusan Bandopadhyay's Novel Pather Pachali
- 1Michael Madhusudan Memorial College, Durgapur. West Bengal, India
Res. J. Language and Literature Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 17-19, May,19 (2020)
Over the last 30 years, there has been a growing emphasis in old age problems. Old age care has become a matter of concern in our country. Now-a-days all of us are acquainted with old age homes. Elderly adults are shifting to old age homes for various reasons. And the reasons behind the increasing number of old age homes are the problems of the elderly adults and their care. Sometimes old age problems are represented through literature. In this article I shall highlight on a novel which represents the pictures of neglect or lack of care of the old widow, Indir Thakrun in Bibhutibhusan Bandopadhyay's novel, Pather Pachali. Physical and emotional neglect can lead an elderly adult to death. The great writer Bibhutibhusan Bandopadhyay created the role of the old widow, Indir Thakrun in this novel and successfully portrayed the worst consequences of neglect of the elderly.
- Pani, P. (2018)., Mobile Apps for Active Ageing., Indian Journal of Gerontology, 32(2). 197. ISSN: 0971-4189. URL: http://www.gerontologyindia.com/pdf/vol-32-2.pdf. Also available at : www.gerontology.india
- Waite, L., & Das, A. (2010)., Families, social life, and well-being at older ages., Demography, 47(1), S87-S109. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2010.0009. Retrieved from: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40983115. Accessed on: 30-10-2019.
- Guven, S. & Sener, A. (2010)., Family Relations in Aging., International Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 1(3), 47-48. ISSN: 2219-6021. DOI: 10.30845/ijbss. Also available at: ijbssnet.com
- Waite, L. & Das, A. (2010)., Families, Social Life and Well-being at Older Ages., Demography, 47(1), S87-S105. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2010.0009. Retrieved from: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40983115. Accessed on: 30-10-2019.
- Sharma, K.L. (Ed.) (2009)., Dimensions of Aging: Indian Studies., Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 150. ISBN: 9788131602584.
- Bradley, M. (1996)., Caring for Older People: Elder Abuse., British Medical Journal, 313(7056), 548-550. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.313.7056.548. Retrieved from: https://www.jstor.org/stable/29732707. Accessed on: 30-10-2019.
- Sharma, K.L. (Ed.) (2009)., Dimensions of Aging: Indian Studies., Jaipur: Rawat Publications, ISBN: 9788131602584
- Bandopadhyay Bibhutibhushan (2009)., Pather Panchali: The Song of the Road., Translated by T.W.Clark & T. Mukherjee. New Delhi: Harper Collins Publisher. 6-33. ISBN: 9788172233334
- Sharma, K.L. (2017)., Moral Obligation to Care For Neglected Senior Citizens., Indian Philosophical Quarterly. 44 (3-4). 184-186. Also available in: www.ageingracefully.com
- Sreenivasarao, N. and Rao, A.V. (2018)., SMART' Approach for Inclusion of Elderly in India: A Conceptual Framework., Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 9(1). 4-10. DOI:10.5958/2321-5828.2018.00002. 5.
- Shankardas, M.K. & Rajan, I. (Eds.) (2018)., WAbuse and Neglect of the Elderly in India., Springer Nature. DOI. 10. 1007/978-981-10-6116-5.
- Old Age in Modern World (1954)., Report of 3rd Congress of the International Association of Gerontology., London: E & S Livingstone Ltd.p. 32.