The self on the wane: understatement, making-faces and #nofilter selfies versus three autobiographical poems
- 1Advanced Media Institute, Cyprus
Res. J. Language and Literature Sci., Volume 7, Issue (2), Pages 10-16, May,19 (2020)
Three types of "non-flattering" selfies, contrary to the beautiful ones that most people are accustomed to posting, are considered in this paper: "understatement selfies" that employ a strategic presentation of oneself downplaying their abilities in anticipation of objections from followers, friends etc.; "making-faces selfies" that temporarily undermine one's image but from the safe side; and "#nofilter selfies" that expose non-flattering sides of oneself, reflecting the need to encompass reality instead of ever-beautiful constructed images. These are then compared in pairs with three autobiographical poems from Greece and Turkey, in the framework of comparative literature: Kostas Varnalis's "Minature writing" (with "understatement selfies"), Georgios Souris's "The sketch of me" (with "prank selfies") and NazimHikmet's "Autobiography" (with "#nofilter selfies"). The comparison confirms the equivalence of the pairs, notwithstanding the differences that exist. Additionally, the process leads to an awareness of the different levels of reality with which communication and literature are concerned.
- Tiinderberg, K. (2018)., How Do We Selfie?\" in the special "Selfies: Why We Love (and Hate) Them., Emerald Insight, 47-73.
- Ronning, D. (n.d.)., The Selfie: Using Photography as a Form of Self Reflection., Psyched. Available at: http://www.psychedinsanfrancisco.com/selfie-self-reflection/ accessed on 20.12.2018.
- Diefenback, S. & Christoforakos, L. (2017)., The Selfie Paradox: Nobody Seems to Like Them Yet Everyone Has Reasons to Take Them. An Exploration of Psychological Functions of Selfies in Self-Presentation., Front. Psychol., 8, 7. 17 January 2017.
- Sung, Y., Lee, J.-A., Kim, E., & Choi, S. M. (2016)., Why we post selfies: Understanding motivations for posting pictures of oneself., Personality and Individual Differences, 97, 260-265.
- Frosh, P. (2015)., The Gestural Image: The Selfie, Photography Theory, and Kinesthetic Sociability., International Journal of Communication, 9, 1607-1628.
- Tham, J. (2014)., Review on Alice E. Marwick's Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age., Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 91(2), 412-413.
- Barthes, R. (1977)., Image-Music-Text., London: Fontana Press.
- Sargar, S.D. (2003)., Autobiography as a Literary Genre., Galaxy: International Interdisciplinary Research Journal, vol.II, issue 1, 1-4.
- Abrams, M.H. (1999)., A glossary of literary terms., Seventh edition. United States: Heinle & Heinle.
- Hall, S. (1980)., Encoding/decoding., : Hall, S., Hobson, D., Lowe, A. & Willis, P. (eds.), Culture, Media, Language. London: Hutchinson & Co., 128-138.
- Merzbacher, G. (2007)., Personality Description from Self-presentation- and Trait-Theoretical Perspective., Bamberg: University of Bamberg.
- Miller, D. (2016),, Social Media in an English Village., London: UCL Press.
- Varnalis, K. (1965),, Mikrografia., Miniature writing Eleftheros Kosmos, Free world.
- Kakavanis, H. (2012)., The unknown Varnalis., (in Greek) Athens: Entos publications.
- Quora.com. Available at: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-make-funny-faces-while-taking-selfie-photos. accessed on 19.1.2019., undefined, undefined
- Souris, G. (1892),, I zografiamou., Hestia newspaper, 3, 46.
- Wissinger, E. (2015)., NoFilter: Models, Glamour Labor, and the Age of the Blink., : J. Davis & N. Jurgenson (eds.), Theorizing the Web 2014, Special Issue, Interface 1.1, 1-20.
- Hikmet, N. (1962)., Autobiography., translated by Randy Blasing and Mutlu Konuk, 1993.
- Seyhan, A. (2003)., Enduring Grief: Autobiography as 'Poetry of Witness' in the Work of Assia Djebar and Nazim Hikmet., Comparative Literature Studies, January 2003.
- Allan, D. (2001)., Literature and reality., European Studies, xxxi, 143-156.
- Zardouka / Penelopez (2018)., Instagram., posted on 30.12.2018.
- mtv.com (2019)., Pretty girls looking ugly., Available at: http://www.mtv.com/news/ 1975637/pretty-girls-looking-ugly/ accessed on 20.1.2019.
- onedio.co (2019)., 18 Common features of girls who find themselves ugly., Available at:https://onedio.co/content/ 18-common-features-of-girls-who-find-themselves-ugly-10010 (accessed on 20.1.2019).
- gagadaily.com. (2019)., Under Lady Gaga Earns Song and record of the year Grammy Nods for Shallow., posted 7.12.2019, accessed on 19.1.2019.
- womenshealthmag.com. (2019)., Lady gaga without makeup., Under "14 September 2015". Available at: https://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/g28658980/lady-gaga-without-makeup/, accessed on 20.1.2019.
- Dina Sarakinou (2018)., Facebook, posted on 28.12.2018.