Immersion technique and its benefits for English Language learners: A Literature Survey
- 1School of Social Sciences and Languages, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2School of Social Sciences and Languages, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
Res. J. Language and Literature Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 9-13, January,19 (2020)
English being the common tongue of many people around the world, it is necessary that everyone knows it. Learning English is more about knowing how to reach people′s heart and making them understand your reasoning than just reviewing vocabulary and grammar. Observing others on how they communicate can be great way to learn quickly, however you should know how to use the language as well. Fortunately, there is a way to learn English that will help you with both of these things. It′s called immersion. This article reviews in detail about the benefits of immersion technique and how it has gained momentum in the past ten years. It also looks into some of the immersion programs offered invarious universities and other organisations and how they help utilizethe principles of immersion to make the learning process fun and easier.
- Whitney Foster (2019)., Five effective ways to learn English through immersion., https://www.fluentu.com/ blog/english/ easy-english-short-stories/ (Accessed 03-09-2019).
- Jeff Shore (2019)., The Immersion Technique., https://jeffshore. com/2012/06/the-immersion-technique-2/( Accessed 03-09-2019).
- Cummins Jim (2009)., Bilingual and Immersion Programs., The Handbook of Language Teaching, Chapter 10, 159-181. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781444315783.ch10
- Educare (2019)., Immersion method., https://educcare.de/immersion _1.html?&L=1 (Accessed 03-09-2019).
- Bhat S. and Beri A. (2016)., ICT immersion in different domains of teaching profession-a literature review., The International Journal of Indian Psychology ISSN, 2348-5396.
- How to Speak English Fluently (2019). https://www.rypeapp.com /wp-content/uploads/2017/12/rype-retention-chart-768x720.png(Accessed 28-09-2019)., undefined, undefined
- Pacific Policy Research Center (2019)., Successful Bilingual and Immersion Education Models/Programs., http://www.ksbe.edu/_assets/spi/pdfs/Bilingual_Immersion_full.pdf(Accessed 03-09-2019).
- Language teaching methods - A guide to learning English (2019),http://esl.fis.edu/teachers/support/method.htm(Accessed 2019-08-12)., undefined, undefined
- Anthony Jackson (2019)., Immersion teaching-successful approaches., http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/global_learning/2013/10/immersion_teaching_successful_approaches.html(Accessed 03-09-2019).
- Gryphon house (2017)., Immersion school benefits for English language learners., https://www.gryphonhouse.com / resources/immersion-school-benefits-for-english-language-learners (Accessed 26-09-2019).
- Wilkinson S. (1998)., On the nature of immersion during study abroad: Some participant perspectives., Frontiers: The interdisciplinary journal of study abroad, 4(2), 121-38.
- Language immersion (2019)., Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition., https://carla.umn.edu/conferences/ past/immersion/terms.html(Accessed 29-09-2019).
- Cindy Long (2019)., Immersion Programs Teach Much More Than another Language., http://neatoday.org/2019/06/14/why-language-immersion-programs-are-important/(Accessed 29-09-2019).
- Learn English with “The Immersion Method” (2019). Our World English.https://www.ourworldenglish.com/2018/11/12/learn-english-with-the-immersion-method/(Accessed 26-09-2019)., undefined, undefined
- Ltc Eastbourne (2016)., Why immersion is the most effective way to learn English., https://ltc-english.com/why-immersion-is-the-most-effective-way-to-learn-english/(Accessed 26-09-2019).
- Steele J.L., Slater R.O., Li J., Zamarro G., Miller T. and Bacon M. (2018)., Dual-Language Immersion Education at Scale: An Analysis of Program Costs, Mechanisms, and Moderators., Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 40(3), 420-445. https://doi.org/10.3102/0162373718779457
- Xiong T. and Feng A. (2018)., Localizing immersion education: A case study of an international bilingual education program in south China., International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/13670050.2018.1435626
- Swain Merrill (1996)., Integrating Language and Content in Immersion Classrooms: Research Perspective., Canadian Modern Language Review, 52(4), 529-548. 10.3138/cmlr.52.4.529
- Slavin R.E. and Cheung A. (2005)., A synthesis of research on language of reading instruction for English language learners., Review of educational research, 75(2), 247-284. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654307500 2247
- Soderman A.K. (2010)., Language Immersion Programs for Young Children?: Yes … but Proceed with Caution., Phi Delta Kappan, 91(8), 54-61. https://doi.org/ 10.1177/003172171009100811