Poisoning death in Bangladesh: seven years study in the CID chemical laboratory
- 1Office of the Chief Chemical Examiner, CID, Bangladesh Police, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2Office of the Chief Chemical Examiner, CID, Bangladesh Police, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 3Office of the Chief Chemical Examiner, CID, Bangladesh Police, Mohakhali, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 9, Issue (2), Pages 45-51, April,14 (2020)
Increasing number of suicide makes it a serious problem of recent days. Suicide makes disorder in society.One of the main reasons behind this drastic increase is that , a person with suicidal tendency get influenced by the suicide of others. But the pattern of suicide such as using components for suicidal cases are changed. From our seven years study it is found that uses of sedative pill and alcoholic substances are increasing compare to pesticide. May be bad smell and unavailability in urban area is responsible for this. It is also found that poisonous death of female victims of age limit 0-20 years and 21-40 years is higher than that of male victims. Whereas it is higher for male victims when we consider the age limit 41years and above. Counseling is important to prevent suicide. Proper employment, public awareness, socio-economic development, family bonding, community education in rural area, and social safety etc. are necessary to prevent from consuming poison.
- Phillips, M. R., Li, X., & Zhang, Y. (2002)., Suicide rates in China, 1995–99., The Lancet, 359(9309), 835-840.
- Thompson, R. S., Bonomi, A. E., Anderson, M., Reid, R. J., Dimer, J. A., Carrell, D., & Rivara, F. P. (2006)., Intimate partner violence: Prevalence, types, and chronicity in adult women., American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 30(6), 447-457.
- Johnston, H. B., & Naved, R. T. (2008)., Spousal violence in Bangladesh: a call for a public-health response., Journal of health, population, and nutrition, 26(3), 366.
- Eddleston, M., Sheriff, M. R., & Hawton, K. (1998)., Deliberate self harm in Sri Lanka: an overlooked tragedy in the developing world., Bmj, 317(7151), 133-135.
- ICDDR, B. (2003)., Mortality due to suicide in rural Bangladesh., Health and Science Bulletin, 1(5), 7-10.
- Reddy KSN (2010)., Agricultural poisons. In: the essentials of forensic medicine & toxicology., 31stedn, India: Medical Book copy, 296-297.
- Nandy A. (2010)., Organic chemical irritants (insecticides and environment)., In: central Book Agency, 517-518.
- Krishan V. (2011)., Agro-chemical poisoning. In: forensic medicine & toxicology., 5thedn. India: Elsevier Private Limited, 677-678.
- Amin, M. R., Basher, A., Sattar, A., Awal, A., Sapan, M. R., & Ghoseand, A. (2017)., Baseline survey on cases of poisoning and its outcome in Bangladesh., Open Access Journal of Toxicology, 2(2), 1-6.
- Rahman, M. M., & Khan, G. K. (1994)., Clinical pattern of acute poisoning in medical units of Dhaka Medical College Hospital., J Dhaka Medical Coll, 3(1), 1-5.
- Thomas SWL and White J. (2010). Poisoning. In: Colledge NR, Walker BR, Ral stone att. Davidson′s principles & practice of medicine., 21stedn, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 203-228., undefined
- Khan, N. T., Bose, P. K., Haque, S. T., Mahmud, S., & Sultana, R. (2016)., Suicidal Death due to Organophosphorus Compound Poisoning? an Experience of 67 Cases., Journal of Enam Medical College, 6(2), 97-100.
- Jeyaratnam, J. (1990)., Acute pesticide poisoning: a major global health problem., World health statistics quarterly, 43(3), 139-144.
- Thomas, S. H. L., Bevan, L., Bhattacharyya, S., Bramble, M., Chew, K., Connolly, J., & Sen, B. (1996)., Presentation of poisoned patients to accident and emergency departments in the north of England., Human & experimental toxicology, 15(6), 466-470.
- Lau, F. L. (2000)., Emergency management of poisoning in Hong Kong., Hong Kong Medical Journal, 6(3), 288-292.
- Ahmad, M., Rahman, F. N., Ashrafuzzaman, M., Chowdhury, D. K. P., & Ali, M. (2009)., Overview of Organo-phosphorus Compound Poisoning in Bangladesh and Medico-legal Aspects Related to Fatal Cases., Journal of Armed Forces Medical College, Bangladesh, 5(1), 41-45.
- Yusuf, H. R., Akhter, H. H., Rahman, M. H., & Rochat, R. W. (2000)., Injury-related deaths among women aged 10–50 years in Bangladesh, 1996–97., The Lancet, 355(9211), 1220-1224.
- Ahmad, M., Rahman, F. N., Islam, M. M., & Majumder, M. R. U. (2014)., Death due to poisoning-A medicolegal study at Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka., Faridpur Medical College Journal, 9(2), 76-79.