Perspective of code-mixing in a multilingual city, Shillong, India
- 1Department of Linguistics, North Eastern Hill University, Shillong, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 15-19, January,14 (2020)
The discussion of code-mixing and code-switching in a multilingual city, Shillong is an outcome of contact induced language change. From a sociolinguistic standpoint, this paper providesa descriptive attempt to portray the linguistic behaviour of Khasi speech communities in Shillong. In focus, attempt is made here to unfold the patternof amalgamation of two different linguistic codes, the phenomenonknown as ‵code-mixing or code-switching′in the speech habits of the Khasi speech communities in Shillong whichevidently, brought aboutstructural changes and language developmentsin Khasi, an Austro-Asiatic language spoken in Shillong, Meghalaya in India. In addition, the paper aligns itself with the underpinnings of the psychological motive behind the operant code-mixing and code-switching strategy.
- Das S. and Sengupta S. (2004)., Population growth and Demographic Change in Shillong U.A: 1991-2001., in In Sengupta, S and Dhar, B. (Eds.)Shillong: A Tribal Town in Transition. Delhi: Reliance Publishing House.33-44.ISBN: 81-7510-173-3
- Kyndiah P.R. (1990)., Meghalaya: Yesterday and Today., Delhi: Har-Anand Pub. 17-39.ISBN:0706949153
- Datta-Ray B. andAgnihotri S.K. (1993)., Dynamics of a Tribal Society: A Micro-study., Uppal Publishing House.
- Lyngdoh W. (2012)., Multilingualism in Shillong., In Singh, S. K. Lyngdoh, S.A (Eds.). Ecology of Meghalaya. Guwahati: EBH Publication, 50-58. ISBN: 978-93-80261-96-6
- Dkhar G.D. and Singh S.K. (2015)., Patterns of language choice in a multilingual city: A sociolinguistic study of Shillong., International Journal of Dravidian Linguistics, 44(2), 42-67.
- Dkhar G.D. (2015)., Pattern of Language Choice in Shillong (Unpublished M.Phil Dissertation)., North Eastern Hills University, Shillong.
- Appel R. and Muysken P. (2005)., Language Contact and Bilingualism., Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. 117-128. ISBN:90-5356-857-3
- Akmajian A. (2001)., Linguistics: An Introduction to Language and Communication., (4thed,). Delhi: Prentice-Hall of India, 290-291. ISBN: 81-203-1040-3
- Bokamba E.G. (1989)., Are there syntactic constraints on code‐mixing?., World Englishes, 8(3), 277-292.
- Gumperz J.J. (1982)., Discourse Strategies., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 59-99. ISBN: 0-521-28896-7
- Scotton C.M. (1997)., Code-Switching., In Coulmas, F. (Eds.). The Handbook of Sociolinguistics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.pp. 217-237. ISBN: 9781405166256
- Romaine S. (1994)., Language in Society: An introduction to Sociolinguistics., New York: Oxford University Press. 55-63. ISBN-13: 978-0-19-957586-2