Depression and loneliness among the elderly in Old Age Homes of Dehradun, India
- 1Department of Psychology, Graphic Era (Deemed to be University), Dehradun, Uttarakhand-248001, India
- 2Department of Psychology, Graphic Era (Deemed to be University), Dehradun, Uttarakhand-248001, India
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 8, Issue (3), Pages 44-49, July,14 (2019)
Old age is an inevitable phase of life which is marked by dependence on the others to fulfil their emotional, social and at times the financial needs. Recently, an umpteen number of incidents have been reported where the elderly have not been treated well by their family, or they lack close family attachment or where they are abandoned by their own children. The only respite the elderly can find which they believe can make their life a little better is living in an old age home. To our surprise where the rate of elderly population is growing every year, the old age homes show sorry statistics. With growing number of residents and challenged infrastructure available to deal with the problems of the senile, the psychological well-being of such people is effected leading to depression and loneliness. The present study aims to explore the relationship between loneliness and depression among the elderly staying in the old age homes of Dehradun. The sample comprised of sixty elderly, aged60-90 years who are living in old age homes of Dehradun. The tools used for this purpose were Beck Depression Inventory and the UCLA Loneliness Scale.
- Bhasin H. (2016)., Change In Family Structure In The Modern Times., International Journal of Indian Psychology, 3(4), 124-137. Retrieved from https://www.ijip.in/Archive/v3i4/18.01.169.20160304.pdf
- Taqui A.M., Itrat A., Qidwai W. and Qadri Z. (2007)., Depression in the elderly: Does family system play a role? A cross-sectional study., BMC Psychiatry, 7(1), 57. doi:10.1186/1471-244x-7-57
- Jeon H. and Dunkle R.E. (2009)., Stress and Depression Among the Oldest-Old: A Longitudinal Analysis., Research on Aging, 31(6), 661-687. doi:10.1177/0164027509343541
- American psychiatric Association (2013)., what is depression., Retrieved from https://www.psychiatry.org/ patients-families/depression/what-is-depression
- Singh A. and Misra N. (2009)., Loneliness, depression and sociability in old age., Industrial psychiatry journal, 18(1), 51. doi:10.4103/0972-6748.57861
- Report (2017)., Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration., Retrieved from https:// www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/programs_campaigns/recovery_to_practice/slides-integratedhealth3-20170802.pdf
- Report (2017)., American psychiatric Association., Retrieved from https://www.psychiatry.org/news-room/apablogs /apa-blog/ 2017/01/loneliness-a-growing-health-concern
- Thapa S. (2017)., Abandonment of Elderly people in Nepal Elderly peoples Perspective (Diaconia University of Applied Sciences)., Retrieved from https:// www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/125786/THESIS .SAMJANA.pdf? sequence=1
- Netuveli G. and Blane D. (2008)., Quality of life in older ages., British Medical Bulletin, 85(1), 113-126. doi:10.1093/bmb/ldn003
- Rajagopal V. (2017)., Old age homes as a fact of life., the hindu. Retrieved from https://www.thehindu.com/ opinion/open-page/old-age-homes-as-a-fact-of-life/article19523768.ece
- Mohan U., Gupta A., Singh S., Tiwari S. and Singh V. (2015)., Study of Depression in Geriatric Population: Old Age Home and Community in Lucknow India., International Journal of Epidemiology, 44, 97. doi:10.1093/ije/dyv096.032
- Chalise H.N. (2014)., Depression among elderly living in Briddashram (old age home)., Advances in Aging Research, 3(1), 6-11. doi:10.4236/aar.2014.31002
- Ahiwale M.K. and Kumar M. (2017)., A Study Of Elderly Living In Old Age Homes And Family In Pune District of Maharashtra., Journal of Evidence Based Medicine and Healthcare, 4(86), 5058-5061. doi:10.18410/jebmh/2017/ 1011
- Sangar M.A., Karem F.A., Alireza N.N. and Muaf A.K. (2015)., Old age satisfaction regarding geriatric home services in Erbil city., Journal of medicine and life, 8(Spec Iss 3), 195-198. Retrieved fromhttps://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5 348939/
- Chandrika S., Radhakumari P. and Devi Madhavi B. (2015)., Quality of Life of Elderly Residing in Old Age Homes and Community in Visakhapatnam City., International Organization of Scientific Research Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS), 14(10), 27-31. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/39c4/df4673358d8e94971d 9ac6034 c30585f6b8c.pdf.
- Parikh P. (2017)., Comparative Study on Depression among Old Age Persons Residing with Family and Old Age Homes., The International Journal Of Indian Psychology. Retrieved from https://ijip.in/ Archive/ v4i3/ 18.01.306.20 170403.pdf
- Kakkar R., Aggarwal P. and Semwal J. (2017)., Quality of Life (QOL) among the Elderly in Rural Dehradun., Indian Journal of Community Health, 29(1), 39-45. Retrieved from https://www.iapsmupuk.org/journal/index.php/IJCH/ article/view/720.
- Goud A.A. and Nikhade N.S. (2015)., Prevalence of depression in older adults living in old age home., International Archives of Integrated Medicine, 2(11), 1-5. Retrieved from http://iaimjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11 /iaim_2015_0211_01.pdf
- Lena A., Ashok K., Padma M., Kamath V. and Kamath A. (2009)., Health and social problems of the elderly: A cross-sectional study in UdupiTaluk, Karnataka., Indian Journal of Community Medicine, 34(2), 131. doi:10.4103/0970-0218.51236
- Akbar S., Tiwari S.C., Tripathi R.K., Kumar A. and Pandey N.M. (2014)., Reasons for Living of Elderly to In Old Age Homes: An Exploratory Study., The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 2(1), 56-61. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/278683171_Reasons_for_Living_of_Elderly_to_In_Old_Age_Homes_An_Exploratory_Study.
- Meyer R.P. and Schuyler D. (2011)., Old Age and Loneliness., The Primary Care Companion For CNS Disorders, 13(2), e1-e2. doi:10.4088/pcc.11f01172
- Tijhuis M.A., De Jong-Gierveld J., Feskens E.J. and Kromhout D. (1999)., Changes in and factors related to loneliness in older men. The Zutphen Elderly Study., Age and ageing, 28(5), 491-495. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10529046
- Mullins L.C. and Dugan E. (1990)., The Influence of Depression, and Family and Friendship Relations, on Residents Loneliness in Congregate Housing., The Gerontologist, 30(3), 377-384. doi:10.1093/geront/30.3.377
- Wu Z., Schimmele C.M. and Chappell N.L. (2011)., Aging and Late-Life Depression., Journal of Aging and Health, 24(1), 3-28. doi:10.1177/0898264311422599
- Dubey A., Bhasin S., Gupta N. and Sharma N. (2011)., A Study of Elderly Living in Old Age Home and Within Family Set-up in Jammu., Studies on Home and Community Science, 5(2), 93-98. doi:10.1080/09737189. 2011.11885333
- Rajan S.I. (2002)., Home away from home: A survey of old age homes and inmates in Kerala, India., Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 16(1-2), 125-150. doi:10.1300/j081v16n01_09
- Adhikari H. (2016)., Family or Old Age Home–Which is Appropriate for Happiness of Elderly at Post Retirement Life in India? : A Reflection from a Study., Journal of Gerontology & Geriatric Research, 5(3). doi:10.4172/2167-7182.1000305
- Beck A.T., Ward C., Mendelson M., Mock J. and Erbaugh J. (1961)., Beck depression inventory (BDI)., Arch Gen Psychiatry, 4(6), 561-571.
- Vanitha D. (2014)., Institutional care of the elderly: a study of old-age homes in Hassan City, Karnataka, India., Int J Interdisciplinary Multidisciplinary Studies (IJIMS), 1, 100-107. Retrieved from http://www.ijims.com/uploads/ df576ca398f9f901a91ezppd_564.pdf
- Narkhede V., Likhar S. and Rana A. (2012)., A study on depression in elderly inmates living in old age homes in Gujarat., Indian Journal of Research and Reports in Medical Sciences, 2(3), 21-23. Retrieved from http://www. ijrrms.com/pdf/2012/jul-sep-12-pdf/06.pd
- Mohanth N. and Begum F.A. (2011)., Geriateric depression, loneliness and psychological well-being: Role of age and gender., Indian Journal of Psychology and Mental Health, 5(2), 53-61. Retrieved fromhttp://www.scirp.org/(S(czeh2tfqyw2orz553k1w0r45))/reference/ReferencesPapers.aspx?ReferenceID=1086018
- Stevens N. and Westerhof G.J. (2006)., Marriage, Social Integration, and Loneliness in the Second Half of Life., Research on Aging, 28(6), 713-729. doi:10.1177/0164027506291747
- Ahmadi K. and Etemadi A. (2009)., Psychological Disorders of Elderly Home Residents., Journal of Applied Sciences, 9(3), 549-554. doi:10.3923/jas.2009.549.554
- Sharma N.K., Parihar A., Vyas H., Prasanna K.L. and Pandey V. (2014)., Assess the Geriatric Problems among Inmates of Old Age Home., International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 4(2), 1-6. Retrieved from http://www.ijsrp.org/print-journal/ijsrp-feb-2014-print.pdf