Assessing the impact of employee cultural intelligence on employee voice behavior: the mediating role of leader-member exchange (case study: Tehran university of Medical Sciences, Iran)
- 1Department of Executive Management, Faculty of Management, Islamic Azad University, Central Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran
- 2Department of Governmental Management, Faculty of Management, Islamic Azad University, Central Tehran Branch, Tehran, Iran
Int. Res. J. Social Sci., Volume 7, Issue (8), Pages 1-11, August,14 (2018)
Cultural intelligence refers to functionality of an employee in various cultural situations. It is one of the most powerful instruments to implement effectively different tasks in various working environments. The aim of the present research is to assess the impact of employee cultural intelligence on employee voice behavior regarding the intervening role of Leader-Member Exchange. The study consisted of all employees and managers of Tehran University of Medical Sciences with a total number of 200 individuals. A standard questionnaire consisting of 50 questions was used to collect data. Validity was performed using a coefficient of variation ratio and confirmatory factor analysis for variable validity and reliability was performed with Cronbach\'s alpha coefficient. To test the hypothesis, structural equation least method with partial least squares approaches was used. The results of the research indicated that employee cultural intelligence positively and directly influenced employee voice behavior and the quality of leader-member exchange with 0.345 and 0.347, respectively. It was also shown that leader-member exchange had a positive and direct impact on employee voice behavior with 0.523. Thus, employee cultural intelligence has both direct and indirect impact on employee voice behavior regarding the intervening role of leader-member exchange was confirmed.
- Ang S., Van Dyne L., Koh C., Ng K.Y., Templer K.J., Tay C. and Chandrasekar N.A. (2007)., Cultural intelligence: Its measurement and effects on cultural judgment and decision making, cultural adaptation and task performance., Management and organization review, 3(3), 335-371.
- Boxall P. and Purcell J. (2011)., Strategy and human resource management., 3rd ed. Palgrave MacMillan, New York, 159-187. ISBN 978-0-230-57935-4
- Morrison E.W. (2011)., Employee voice behavior: Integration and directions for future research., The Academy of Management Annals, 5(1), 373-412.
- Aryee S., Walumbwa F.O., Mondejar R. and Chu C.W.L. (2017)., Core self-evaluations and employees voice behaviors test of a dual-motivational pathway., Journal of Management, 43(3), 946-966.
- Budd J.W., Gollan P.J. and Wilkinson A. (2010)., New approaches to employee voice and participation in organizations., Human Relations, 63(3), 303-310.
- Bryson A. (2004)., Managerial responsiveness to union and nonunion worker voice in Britain., Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, 43(1), 213-241.
- Sooltani I. and Heidari Gojani M. (2018)., Investigating the relationship between employees' attitudes towards organization and employees' voice behavior., Management and entrepreneurship studies, 3(1-2), 122-134. (Persian version)
- LePine J.A. and Van Dyne L. (1998)., Predicting voice behavior in work groups., Journal of Applied Psychology, 83(6), 853-868.
- Zehir C. and Erdogan E. (2011)., The association between organizational silence and ethical leadership through employee performance., Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 24, 1389-1404. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.09.054
- Si S. and Li Y. (2012)., Human resource management practices on exit, voice, loyalty, and neglect: Organizational commitment as a mediator., The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23(8), 1705-1716.
- Tangirala S., Kamdar D., Venkataramani V. and Parke M.R. (2013)., Doing right versus getting ahead: The effects of duty and achievement orientations on employees' voice., Journal of Applied Psychology, 98(6), 1040-1050.
- LePine J.A. and Van Dyne L. (2001)., Voice and cooperative behavior as contrasting forms of contextual performance: Evidence of differential relationships with Big Five personality characteristics and cognitive ability., Journal of Applied Psychology, 86(2), 326-336.
- Earley P.C. and Ang S. (2003)., Cultural intelligence: Individual interactions across cultures., Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, 155-184. ISBN: 0-8047-4300-2.
- Graen G.B. and Uhl-Bien M. (1995)., Relationship-based approach to leadership: Development of leader - member exchange (LMX) theory of leadership over 25 years: Applying a multilevel multi-domain perspective., Leadership Quarterly, 6(2), 219-247.
- Uhl-Bien M. (2006)., Relational Leadership Theory: Exploring the social processes of leadership and organizing., The Leadership Quarterly, 17(6), 654-676.
- Liden R.C. and Graen G. (1980)., Generalizability of the vertical Dyad linkage model of leadership., Academy of Management Journal, 23(3), 451-463.
- Hooper D.T. and Martin R. (2008)., Beyond personal Leader-member exchange (LMX) quality: The effects of perceived LMX variability on employee reactions., The Leadership Quarterly, 19(1), 20-30.
- Janssens M. and Brett J.M. (2006)., Cultural intelligence in global teams: A fusion model of collaboration., Group and Organization Management, 31(1), 124-153.
- Laschinger H.K.S., Finegan J. and Wilk P. (2009)., Context matters: The impact of unit leadership and empowerment on nurses' organizational commitment., Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(5), 228-235.
- Jyoti J. and Kour S. (2015)., Assessing the cultural intelligence and task performance equation: Mediating role of cultural adjustment., Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal, 22(2), 236-258.
- Thomas D.C. and Inkson K. (2005)., Cultural intelligence: People skills for a global workforce., Consulting to Management, 16(1), 5-10.
- Johnson J.P., Lenartowicz T. and Apud S. (2006)., Cross-cultural competence in international business: Toward a definition and a model., Journal of International Business Studies, 37(4), 525-543. Doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400205
- Ng T.W.H. and Feldman D.C. (2012)., Employee voice behavior: A meta-analytic test of the conservation of resources framework., Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33(2), 216-234.
- Luthans F., Avolio B.J., Avey J.B. and Norman S.M. (2007)., Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction., Personnel Psychology, 60(3), 541-572.
- Lee L.Y. and Sukoco B.M. (2010)., The effects of cultural intelligence on expatriate performance: The moderating effects of international experience., The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 21(7), 963-981.
- Jiang Z., Le H. and Gollan P.J. (2017)., Cultural intelligence and voice behavior among migrant workers: The mediating role of leader-member exchange., The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2017.1322119
- Scandura T.A. and Graen G.B. (1984)., Moderating Effects of Initial Leader-Member Exchange Status on the Effects of a Leadership Intervention., Journal of Applied Psychology, 69(3), 428-436.
- Hajizadeh E. and Asghari M. (2012)., Statistical methods and analyses regarding research method in biological science and health., Jahad-e-Daneshgahi press, Tehran, 2nd ed., 395-410. ISBN: 978-600-102-196-1 (Persian version)
- Fornell C. and Larcker D.F. (1981)., Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error., Journal of Marketing Research, 18 (1), 39-50.
- Gefen D. and Straub D. (2005)., A practical guide to factorial validity using PLS-graph: Tutorial and annotated example., Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 16(1), 91-109.
- Field A. (2009)., Discovering Statistics Using SPSS., 3rd Edition, Sage Publications Ltd., London, 627-685. ISBN 978-1-84787-906-6
- Pallant J. (2007)., SPSS Survival Manual: A Step by Step Guide to Data Analysis Using SPSS for Windows (Version 15)., 3rd Edition, Berkshire: McGraw Hill: Open University Press. New York, NY 10121-2289, USA, 95-99. ISBN-13: 978 0335 22366 4
- Vinzi V.E., Chin W.W., Henseler J. and Wang H. (2010)., Handbook of Partial Least Squares: Concepts, Methods and Applications (Springer Handbooks of Computational Statistics)., Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 83-97. ISBN 978-3-540-32825-4.
- Henseler J., Dijkstra T.K., Sarstedt M., Ringle C.M., Diamantopoulos A., Straub D.W., Ketchen D.J., Hair J.F., Hult G.T.M. and Calantone R.J. (2014)., Common beliefs and reality about PLS: comments on Rönkkö and Evermann (2013)., Organizational Research Methods, 17(2), 182-209.
- Groves K.S. and Feyerherm A.E. (2011)., Leader cultural intelligence in context: Testing the moderating effects of team cultural diversity on leader and team performance., Group and Organization Management, 36(5), 535-566.
- Chan S.C.H. and Yeung D. (2016)., The Impact of Leader-member Exchange (LMX) and Empowerment on Employee Voice Behavior., Nang Yan Business Journal, 4(1), 44-55.